PDA

View Full Version : Name a dish that is from your home country.

Steve Williams
6th June 2003, 00:50
This is a dish that is "traditionally" from your home/adopted country.

Not something that has been "imported" by your country. Whether it is the most popular dish in your country or not.
(otherwise all the english would say curry ;) )

Steve Williams
6th June 2003, 00:51
Also give us some basic ingrediants, and if you eat it..... and more importantly if you like it.

Striking Hand
6th June 2003, 00:55
Tough one.

I don't think I can really pinpoint one as we got so many influences.

We got plenty of traditional dishes, but I couldn't say if they are truly original to us.

Here is a link to our traditional dishes:

http://www.austrianfoodandwine.com/Recipes.html

Favorite in there would be "G'roestl"

Some people and countries to claim the same dish as traditionally theirs.

Cheers.

elder999
6th June 2003, 00:57
It's not for everyone, but:corn and lima beans!

2 teaspoons mild olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped (1 1/2 cups)
3 cloves garlic, crushed
1 jalapeño pepper, finely chopped with seeds (if you like it hot) or seeds removed
1 tablespoon mild chili powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 cups frozen corn kernels
2 cups frozen baby lima beans or green beans
1 cup low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth

Garnish
2 tablespoons chopped cilantro (optional)
2 tablespoons toasted sunflower seeds

1. Heat the oil in a high-sided skillet on medium high. Sauté the onion 3 minutes then add the garlic and jalapeño and cook 1 minute more or until the onions are soft but not browned. Season with the chili powder and salt.

2. Add the corn, lima beans and stock. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer 10 minutes.

3. Serve topped with the cilantro and sunflower seeds.

I like it a lot, but lima beans gross some people out; you can use navy beans or pinto beans, and/or you can add a pound of meat. You can leave out the jalapeños and substitute other peppers, or leave the peppers out. You can serve it with ground black pepper.You don't have to use frozen corn and beans, you can use canned, dry or fresh.

It's pretty versatile, and it's indigenous North American cuisine..

Steve Williams
6th June 2003, 01:01
The problem with many countries is the external influence by "invaders" or even by travellers from other countries/cultures.

Our "traditional meat and two veg" or "roast dinner" was actually brought here by the Romans, but as that was almost 2000 years ago can that now be considered "our traditional fayre"??

OK, We will say any food that has been in your culture for at least the last 200 years that will make it easier to quantify.

Joseph Svinth
6th June 2003, 02:51
Sockeye salmon. I personally prefer it smoked, but it's also pretty good other ways. IMO, sockeye is a lot tastier than king or chinook, and there is no point comparing it to the farm-raised dog salmon you get in restaurants.

http://www.quinaultpride.com/sockeyesalmon.html

shadow42
6th June 2003, 03:43
cornbeef and cabbage.

Step 1. Take corned beef

Step 2. Add cabbage

Step 3. Drink Guiness til you cant tell that the meal tastes horrible.

Congratulations :)

mech
6th June 2003, 04:18
Contrary of what you can think I dont have d a burrito for three years
or so.

Lots of grains black, white and red.

Like big cakes but not cakes
Arepas
Cachapas
Bollos

Is like potatoes but not potatoes (Yuca?)
Casabe

Lot of fruits banana, mango, naranja, toronja, mandarina, piña, melón y patilla.

Heavy dish: meat, plátano, arroz y grains

or fish arroz and salad

mech
manuel chiquito anderson

Dean Whittle
6th June 2003, 06:55
From Australia, and in particular, Harry's Cafe de Wheels

Meatpie topped with mashed potatoe, peas and gravy.

PeteBoyes
6th June 2003, 07:32
Cheddar cheese and scrumpy cider
oooo aarrr!!

Mike Williams
6th June 2003, 10:23
Since I grew up in Holland: Herring. "Hollandse Nieuwe".

Fresh off the boat, beheaded & filleted, leave the tail on. Dip in chopped onion, lift up by tail and drop down gullet. Wash down with a "borrel" (shot of Jenever).

Cheers,

Mike

PeteBoyes
6th June 2003, 11:01
Something for the non-veggies -

Bowyers Sausages and pork pies (our school bus used to take us passed the factory each day on the way to school)

Brains' faggots (for the American audience - faggots are meatballs, and the originator of the company was Mr Brain!) Their local factory is closing this summer :cry:

J. A. Crippen
8th June 2003, 01:36
Tlingit Food:

Smoked and dried salmon dipped in salmon oil (or hooligan oil).

I have some of that for lunch every few days. Luvverly. The salmon oil is nearly tasteless, and has no scent. It's the same color as the salmon it's taken from (bright orange from kings, pinkish from humpies, reddish from reds). I can't buy the oil so I just make it the old fashioned way and boil it out. Get bellies cheap from the local fish shop ($1 a pound), boil then simmer in salt water and skim the oil from the top as it rises, then filter the bits out.

Dried raspberries (or salmonberries) pressed into cakes. Eat em dry. Or mix with rendered fish grease or deer fat and eat while hiking. Unfortunately it's a bear attractor, so wrap in multiple layers of ziploc bags.

The Norwegians that moved to Southeast Alaska also brought along some of their famous cuisine. I like lefse with smoked salmon, and Swedish pancakes with jam. Yum!

Joseph Svinth
8th June 2003, 02:26
Lefse is also good with cinnamon and sugar. Lutefisk, though, is definitely an acquired taste.

Some other NW taste treats.

* Microbrewed beers. Started in 1982, in Yakima. (Grant's Ale.) No big deal in Germany, but a big deal in the USA, which has been dealing in swill since Prohibition. The reason is that most North American hops are grown between Yakima, Washington, and Bend, Oregon. Washington is also one of the country's largest wine producing areas. Oregon, though, has the sake.

* Gourmet coffee. Again, no big deal in Europe, but these days, you find Starbucks everywhere.

* The confections called Aplets and Cotlets (apples and apricots are major crops in Washington). Almond Roca is another nice NW confection.

And, while I wouldn't call them a taste treat, let's not forget:

* McDonald's French fries, almost all of which are grown somewhere between Ephrata, Washington, and Ontario, Oregon.

Steve Williams
8th June 2003, 13:17
Originally posted by Joseph Svinth
* Gourmet coffee. Again, no big deal in Europe, but these days, you find Starbucks everywhere.

You can't really use Gourmet and Starbucks in the same sentence :eek:

I admit that Starbucks is an "OK" coffee, but it is not "gourmet" is it.....

I read a few months ago, I think in newsweek or Time or something similar, about a test that they were doing of coffee chains..... Starbucks/Costa/Seattle coffee co/Cafe Nero/and a couple of others I dont remember (also the seattle coffee co has now been taken over by Starbucks I think??)
It was a testing system to see quality/taste/volume/whatever of certain "popular" coffees, Latte/Cappuccino/Espresso etc....

Starbucks came last in almost all categories.....

I think it was a "europe based" stores survey/test.....

But given the choice (i.e. starbucks and something else in the same street) then I will choose the competitor..... unless I want a "flavoured" coffee, that Starbucks do well (IMHO) :)

Joseph Svinth
8th June 2003, 19:20
I agree that Starburnt is overpriced and tastes burned, but like Mickey D's, that's evidently what most people like. Also, Yukon Blend goes well with Jamesons.

Meik Skoss
8th June 2003, 20:42
Hamburgers. Preferably made with ground beef (as opposed to sirloin or chuck). With a nice kaiser roll and big slices of Vidalia onion. And homemade mayonnaise. With good deli mustard.

Pizza. REAL pizza, i.e., made within 100 miles of the GW Bridge. I don't think it's possible to get decent pizza outside the Tri-State area, and, Mystic Pizza aside, I'm not all that sure about pizza in Connecticut. It's gotta be from Joisey or New Jork.

Southern-style fried chicken and homemade biscuits. To die for. If done properly, you'll think you've died and gone to heaven. I like those made by my Great Aunt E, in Kentucky, but I will stipulate a fair fried chicken 'n biscuit meal or three have been made south of the Mason-Dixon line.

Fresh-picked corn on the cob. With homemade butter. Preferably, along with the above-mentioned chicken 'n biscuits. But by itself, mighty fine.

Homemade ice cream. Especially at 4th of July picnics. With fried chicken 'n biscuits, and fresh-picked corn on the cob. Know what I'm sayin', pal?!?

Just about anything made with potatoes. Did you know that, back in 1957, the Soviet Union put the first potato in orbit? They called it the Spudnik.

Katsuo (or any other kind of fish) tataki. Proof positive that there are "eight million myriad deities" (the Kojiki) and they all love us.

Natto, tsukimi, uni, and satoimo -- NOT! (I mean, that stuff's *really* bad!) Proof positive that those "eight million myriad deities" (see above) have a very strange, one might say sick, sense of humor and many Japanese aren't in on the joke.

Poi. Same as above. Ugh x 3! No wonder kanakas prefer McD's.

*Good* white liquor. To quote A. Powers, "Yeah, baby, YEAH!" An awfully nice guy in Virginia (yeah, I'm talking about YOU, Dave) is the brilliant soul who turned me on to some local product. Whee!

Good bourbon. Good Irish whiskey. Some scotches. "What?!" you say, "those are alcoholic beverages, not comestibles!" Well, you'd be right, in an academic or nutritional sense. But they *are* food for the soul. So there.

I might've missed a couple, but these'll do for starters.

Dave Lowry
9th June 2003, 02:29
Bra,
You goin’ yakamashii monku about poi? Whazwichu? One big bowl tree-fingah sweet poi—da kine from ovah Waiahole pounded from mo'i—an' kalua peeg or squid luau for stuff you face, Man. Ono-licious!

Cordially

Meik Skoss
9th June 2003, 04:22
Kalua pig and squid luau are fine, but lips that touch poi shall not touch mine... Nevahs!

No, blalah... I no monku 'bout da kine poi -- just tell it like it iz, yeah? You like poi? I t'ink maybe you take *way* too many shots in da headbone, yeah?

Onolicious? NOT!! Oddawise, how come da kamaina all go Zippy's fo' eat? Yeah, I t'ink maybe so. Poi?! Numbah TEN!

Joel Simmons
9th June 2003, 14:06
E! No tak' l'dat 'bout dakine, brah. Hawaiian kine stay ono, even da poi! Grinds braddah...you stay pupule if no like. :) Waiahole get okay, but Hanalei stay winnahs cuz. Yama's Fish Market make one mean plate: Kalua Pork, Poi an' Mac Salad, only fo $4.95. :)

You fo'get...ahi poke, pipikaula, haupia, lomi lomi salmon...grinds brah. I get one kanak-attack now!

We cruz Zippy's fo' da price, not da taste. :) Den again, you find Wayne and I ova' dea' ev'ry Friday night.

Joel Simmons
9th June 2003, 14:21
Aloha,

Imagine...three haole guys trying to speak pidgin on the internet, ha!

Anyway, my favorite cuisine from my hometown (Portland, OR) is Coho/Silver salmon. A nice side of grilled asparagus with rice and a hearty micro-brew from Portland complete the package.

Here's how I make the salmon:

-Get a nice fillet that extends to the tail section where the most tender meat is located.

-Place the fillet scales down in a piece of aluminum foil large enough to wrap the entire piece.

-Rub a light amount of rock salt or sea salt on the fillet.

-Slice a sweet onion or two (Maui sweets or Walla Walla's are best) and lay the slices over the entire fillet.

-Slice a lemon or two and lay those slices over the onions. You can squeeze a bit of the lemon juice out onto the fish if you like.

-Next, slice enough pads of butter to cover the lemon and onion slices. Thought this was going to be low calorie didn't you? :)

-Wrap the fish in the foil and place on top of a hot B.B.Q. It should only take 15 minutes at most if the fish was properly defrosted. Fresh is best.

-Check the thickest portion of the fish by looking to see that the inside is no longer a vivid red, but a nice "salmon" pink color. It should be moist, not dry.

For the asparagus, I usually sautee it in olive oil with a bit of salt and pepper. Sometimes I use a bit of rosemary.

If you can't steam rice...you've got problems.

For the beer, I usually like Portland Brewing Co.'s India Pale Ale. Of course, being in Hawaii we have a severe shortage of quality micros, so for the time being this is what I am limited to at Safeway. But, the kick of the IPA really sets-off the dish.

Well...that's my favorite dish to make. Handed-down, Father-to-Son. If you haven't noticed, the Simmons' men are proud of their culinary pursuits. And yes, my Wife loves it. :)

Sochin
9th June 2003, 15:07
Sorry guys,

all I can think ofis

Pamela Anderson!

hehehehehee

kenkyusha
9th June 2003, 16:20
Originally posted by Meik Skoss
<snip>
Pizza. REAL pizza, i.e., made within 100 miles of the GW Bridge. I don't think it's possible to get decent pizza outside the Tri-State area, and, Mystic Pizza aside, I'm not all that sure about pizza in Connecticut. It's gotta be from Joisey or New Jork.</snip>

I grew-up in Neuva Yersey, and the pizza in NY and NJ is good, but Boston has some danged-good stuff too! Some of the older places with wood-fired ovens (at least one in the North End, purchased from a German manufacturer in the late 1920's, emblazoned with a not entirely discreet swastika) produce incredibly crisp thin crusts, simple tomato sauce and mozzarella so fresh, it still has buffalo hair in it. :) mmm, Margarita, ala libretto...

Be well,
Jigme

kenkyusha
9th June 2003, 19:16
Originally posted by Meik Skoss
<snip>
Did you know that, back in 1957, the Soviet Union put the first potato in orbit? They called it the Spudnik.</snip>

Pravda tried to interview Spudnik's brother about some specifics of the training program, but he couldn't help... he was a just a common 'tater.

As they say in the Stir-fry cooks' union, 'Wok-ers of the world unite'.

And, of course, a bunch of southerners lining-up for food cooked outdoors over coals... a bubba queue.

Be well,
Jigme

poryu
9th June 2003, 19:23
Hi

Fish and chips you just cant beat that

except when I read Meik's post and wonder why he hasnt invited everyone round for dinner yet. Made me hungry just reading his post

Meik Skoss
9th June 2003, 20:51
Well, I *would* invite you all over for dinner, but I can't find a pot big enough to cook everybody in -- ba, dum, dum, DUM(B)...

joe yang
10th June 2003, 01:38
PA Dutch style turkey barbecue. The turkey is slow roasted on a low heat, in an oven. It is cooked till it falls apart. It is shredded and served on a steamed roll, with pickle relish. Perfect with french fries and a vanilla milk shake.

Joseph Svinth
10th June 2003, 02:59
You had me worried there, Joe, what with your other thread and all.

joe yang
10th June 2003, 04:16
Snicker

Earl Hartman
10th June 2003, 04:43
FWIW, I have heard people in the trade refer to Starbucks as "Charbucks", which seems appropriate. Peet's is where its at if you want really good coffee.

Hot pastrami (fatty, none of that lean crap) on dark rye with spicy mustard, with a side of cole slaw with Russian dressing, a crsip dill pickle, and a cherry cream soda. The sandwich has to be so big you can hardly get your mouth around it. No mayonnaise, lettuce, or tomato allowed.

There are tons of other scrumptious things, but that's what sprang to mind on the spur of the moment. Guess I gotta go home and eat.

mech
10th June 2003, 04:53
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Meik Skoss
[B]Hamburgers. Preferably made with ground beef (as opposed to sirloin or chuck). With a nice kaiser roll and big slices of Vidalia onion. And homemade mayonnaise. With good deli mustard.

Mr. Skoss: that looks like some sort of "Delicatesse" hamburger insnt it?

I suggest you to come to Venezuela and have a Big Hamburguer at the street:

Contents: Big bread, cooked meat, fried egg, slice of ham, slice of cheesse, slices of tomatoes, little onions, avocados, skinny french fries and granted cheesse
sauces to chosse or to put it all: ketchup, mayo, mustard, tartar, milk, chilli and rose.

+ 1 litre Coke

Total Price $ 2.50

mech
Manuel Chiquito Anderson
Caracas, Venezuela

mech
12th June 2003, 05:08
Mr. Skoss, I didnt know you were Boss here and many rendered passive pleitessy to you, laugh at every of your sayings as sacred words.

Since I have no Bosses in this world to rule ME And my words weren't intended to hurt your feelings (or your stomach it doesnt look you cant take one of those street hamburgers without hurting such a delicate nature) I sincerily apologize.

I just wanted to show folks a grasy street food, its ingredients and how fair the price is.

Please read:

What do you want to KNOW about Gastronomy? WHAT IS THAT about food, drinks, pastries, salads, charcuterie and deserves That You KNOW and Im not??

Put aside those barbars INSECT EATERS and Cannibalism and TALK to ME about Gastronomy, Spririted drinks and"INTERNATIONAL RANKED CUISSINE"

Sea foods? flambed deserts?, Wines (French, Portuguesse, Californian, Chilean?) Just name it!! Moet?, Scothes? (wich one, how old?) Bourbon, Cointreau, an a looong spirited etcetera.

No, but you think I just have tried Rum and Tequila HA!

French, Jap, Spanish, Colombian, Brasilian, Chinesse, Argentinian, Chilean, Cuban, Rusky, Dannish, Korean, Portuguesse, Greek, Jewish, Arab and my own venezuela Cook fair enough to drive crazy a sensible man.

Wich kind of menu you want to talk about? a la carte? houses especialties? biffet?

The Italian family???? What do you think the only Italian inmigrants from WWII were in to live in the Tristate area? each one with their own "secrets"?

How many Michelins have the people who cook for you?

I want to know wich is your Superiority Here, if any?

mech
Manuel Chiquito Anderson

"Square meals often make round people."
E. Joseph Cossman

"For its merit I will knight it, and then it will be Sir-Loin."
Charles II

joe yang
12th June 2003, 10:35
What he said! :D

BC
12th June 2003, 19:08
Foods from Chicago (Windy City, City of Big Shoulders, Middle Coast, etc...):

Chicago-style deep dish pizza - you guys from the east coast can't even come close to it!

Hot dogs - steamed, with mustard, ketchup, onions, relish and celery salt, best served in the ball park

Hot Italian beef sandwich - with onions, peppers (sweet or hot), giardinara, provolone, au jus

Smelt - caught fresh, cleaned and pan fried, served with lemon, black pepper and fresh tartar sauce

Fresh corn on the cob - dripping with butter, with a little salt

Steve Williams
12th June 2003, 20:04
Ummm Mech....

What are you talking about??? (in your last post above)

If it was meant as a joke, then sorry I didn't get it :rolleyes:

If it was meant to be serious then what the f**k are yo talking about??? :(

If I have totally the wrong idea then apologies..... :p

And if you are meant to be joking then it helps to use the smilies :) :mad: :D ;) to convey meaning..... as this is an "international forum" and written humour is not always international.

elder999
12th June 2003, 22:25
Oh, yeah, pumpkin pie.

I grow my owncorn and beans, and along with those goes squash, and pumpkin IS a squash, so I grow pumpkins, and really, really like pumpkinpie......
...and homemadeice cream.....that's American, isn't it?

elder999
12th June 2003, 22:28
Originally posted by BC
Foods from Chicago (Windy City, City of Big Shoulders, Middle Coast, etc...):

Chicago-style deep dish pizza - you guys from the east coast can't even come close to it!

I do know that you can't get a good pie west of Chicago; that and the ocean are the two things I miss in New Mexico. Deep dish pizza is good, but not like the stuff from home......

Jason Couch
13th June 2003, 03:37
Steamed crabs. Basically a big sea roach evolution-wise, but tasty nonetheless.

mech
13th June 2003, 04:03
I must confess that I enjoy one or couple of that "grassy bombs" once in a while, problem is to go back to work :D

Yes, I was kiding

Things I love been in the States: Meat, Potatoes, Corn, Pies, Good Pizza, I hate your machine Coffe :eek:

"It ain't what you eat, but the way how you chew it."

Delbert Mcclinton

A. M. Jauregui
14th June 2003, 08:07
Cocido is my traditional fav. A meal-in-a-pot with meat, vegetables, pulses and sausages. Look for recipes on line for you are not getting mine. *It’s a secret*