PDA

View Full Version : I'm sticking with the Legitimate Ryuha....

Gakkousei
7th June 2003, 00:47
I've recently decided to stick with the 3 Kan in terms of training an study. It seems to me that the defining characteristic of fake Ninjutsu/ninpo Ryuha are the set forms, kata, and rigid technique, instead of the flowing form, endless and subtle techniques used by the 3 Kan. It also seems that whereas the fake Ninjutsu schools are very strict in their techniques and how you perform them, the 3 kans are very loose and forgiving in their way, allowing each individual student to perform the techniques in a way that is best for them. It's as if they give the student tools, and it is up to the student as to how he/she uses them. This, to me, is what i consider the essence of Ninpo. Any thoughts on my change of heart and my observations?

bgigas
7th June 2003, 02:33
The choice to switch martial arts is entirely up to you; you should always follow what feels "right" to you. From my experience in Taijutsu, I have found instructors who teach with a more "technique" oriented approach (e.g. THIS is the way to do it), while others teach fundamental ideas that you can then apply as you see fit.

The instructor I train with most, Jack Hoban, teaches with the latter style. He always says that he is tired of teaching technique...we all know how to punch and kick. He focuses much more on the often-overlooked subtleties of martial arts (e.g. capturing space, illusive timing, rhythm, and the balance). Of course, these are usually taught in most MA schools, but Jack really singles out each of them quite often.

One other thing I love about Taijutsu training is that many instructors make use of outdoor training as well. For example, in the hot summer months at the Jersey shore, Jack likes to take us to the beach to instruct on ocean movement and combat (your balance changes a lot with a strong riptide :D ). Last winter he took us on a frozen lake near the dojo to practice kihon on the ice, another balance-eye-opener. Muzosa dojo in NYC practices in Central Park often as well.

I don't have much experience with the other two x-kans, but from what I understand the Jinenkan has a definite way of doing each technique (from the densho, from what I understand). So if you decide that you want traditional ninpo in addition to a rigid grading system (from your post, however, it sounds like you may NOT want this), you may want to consider the Jinenkan. Quality martial artists exist in all three x-kans, so you should really try out as many schools as you can before committing to one.

Who knows, maybe you'll find a school that will let you be an apprentice. :p (Couldn't resist)

Anyway, good luck. I hope you find as much joy and happiness in your life as I have found with Taijutsu.

:smilejapa