PDA

View Full Version : Yabe Ryu Jujutsu

Robc
15th September 2000, 18:07
Anybody familiar with Yabe Ryu jujutsu? My understanding is that it is an offshoot of the Tenshin Shinyo Ryu and is practiced by a fairly small community of jujutsuka mostly located in the New England area. There are two gentlemen in the Seattle area teaching the art (both very nice, very capable practitioners). Just curious if anyone has any direct (or indirect) experience with the style in the Rhode Island or New England area and if anyone knows of any Internet links through which I might learn more about the art and its practitioners.

Best regard,

Rob

Joseph Svinth
15th September 2000, 18:23
A possibility (raw speculation):

Yabe, Yae K. *A Course of Instruction in Jiu-Jitsu.* London; Clark, Dudley, & Co., 1904, 5 vols.

-----. *Jiu Jitsu.* Rochester, NY: Self-published, 1904.

There are some ads for his NY program in "Police Gazette" and the like, circa 1904-1905.

Aaron Fields
15th September 2000, 20:06
Hey,

I might be able to shine some light on this topic, as I am one of the guys practicing Yabe ryu-ha ju-jutsu in the Seattle area. Joe how are things (maybe a little hara training soon)? I finished that article on Sato sensei; I’ll forward you a copy. You are correct sir (in regards to the Yabe books), you’re researching abilities cease to amaze me.

Rob, as I am one of the guys you're talking about I'm curious as to how you came across us. We are minimalists when it comes to advertising (mostly word of mouth.) As to our existence on the Internet, none. The dojo in Seattle may eventually put up a site, but we have nothing currently. Our understanding of our lineage is that the Yabe families were practitioners of Tenjin Shinyo Ryu. They seem to have changed the name around 1905-6. A Yabe family member showed up in England somewhere around 1910 (the books Joe mentioned are published by a British publisher.) As to any other historical information, it is difficult, as death and distance have made our past a little hazy. If you have other questions feel free to contact me directly and I will be happy to tell you what I know.

A little side note that is neither here nor there (this is more for Joe than anyone else.) I recently met a Yabe sensei (teaches at the Seattle Kendo Kai) who is from the same region of Japan that the Yabe members in question were from. I have one photo of Yabe Yae Kichi sensei and the Yabe I met resembled the photo a bit (not enough to show connection.) After talking with Yabe sensei he knew of no one in his family that practiced ju-jutsu, but he was intrigued by the possibility. In addition, I have one of the books published by Clark and Dudley (number 5 of 5.) If anyone knows of the whereabouts of any of the other volumes please drop me a line.

Joseph Svinth
15th September 2000, 20:25
Kent State, I believe it is, has the "Police Gazette" on microfilm, so interlibrary loan might be able to get you that. Never can tell what you find thataway, but I'm betting there will be some professional wrestling involved. Ditto for the Rochester, NY newspapers.

When looking for relatives, you might check the spelling Yabu. The Okinawan karateka Kentsu Yabu's son lived in Los Angeles, and his name was officially transliterated Yabe.

If you get truly desperate for the book, the British Library should have copies. Obviously that is an expensive Xerox project, but it is possible. There might also be passing mention in "Sporting Life" and "Health & Strength," but to find those you'd have to be physically on the ground. Nevertheless, collections do exist, so the project is not impossible, just difficult.

It was me who dropped the dime on you, BTW. :p

Robc
15th September 2000, 22:01
Thanks, all, for the feedback. Aaron, we met briefly last winter. Best of luck.

Robert Reinberger
16th September 2000, 00:11
Originally posted by Aaron Fields
In addition, I have one of the books published by Clark and Dudley (number 5 of 5.) If anyone knows of the whereabouts of any of the other volumes please drop me a line.

A whole set was on e-bay last October ('Rare 1904 Yabe School of Jiu Jitsu 5 manuals'). The highest bid was around $ 500 if not higher, if my memory serves me right.

Regards,
Robert

Neil Yamamoto
16th September 2000, 02:58
Well, if you have already met Aaron, you are as close as you are gonna get to what you are looking for.

Besides geing pretty good for a white guy (inside joke), Aaron will tell you what he know with out any varnish coating to make it look pretty.

Besides, Aaron talks to Joe S. and I drink beer with both. I can't think of two guys who are better at drinking beer, practice martial arts with out any BS,live in Seattle, and who can put up with me.

John Lindsey
16th September 2000, 03:04
<center>http://www.e-budo.com/pics/yabepics.jpg</center>

Neil Yamamoto
16th September 2000, 05:33
look like Aaron and me when we get together to practice.

Judge me by my size do you? Hmm? Some other little short guy with a bad attitude said this before I did.