PDA

View Full Version : a new name for this forum

Meik Skoss
10th June 2003, 19:56
All this talk of bib 'n tucker got me to thinking that, being as most of us are students of Japanese martial arts and culture, the name for this forum ought to be something appropriate. How about we call this forum Shokudo, the Way of Eating?

I don't know if there'd be "belts" awarded (we'd just have to let 'em out, anyway), but I suppose titles, trophies, and licenses for gustatory and bibulatory accomplishment could be given. Hey, we have Iron Chef... how about Cast-Iron Stomach, Golden Throat (only Welsh tenors need apply), and Palatein (Have Trencher, Will Travel)? Or something along those lines? Natch, the Oguchi family would have to be the hereditary headmasters of any inshoku ryu.

Just an idle thought for a Tuesday afternoon that is surpassing fair... (no rain, for a change...)

elder999
10th June 2003, 19:59
Originally posted by Meik Skoss

Just an idle thought for a Tuesday afternoon that is surpassing fair... (no rain, for a change...)

Hey Meik, send some our way, we could use it.....

So could my corn and the rest of my garden........

It's not a bad idea for an idle thought, though.....

Earl Hartman
10th June 2003, 20:03
OK, OK, I'll "bite": who are the Oguchis?

Meik Skoss
10th June 2003, 21:16
Who are the Oguchis, you ask? Hmmm... Shokudo, the Art/Way of Eating... and you ask *who* are the Oguchis? P'raps it's better to ask *what* are the Oguchis? How would the family's name be written? And what would it mean? (Kore wa dai hinto, desu yo...)

Earl Hartman
10th June 2003, 21:46
Oh, good grief.

J. A. Crippen
10th June 2003, 23:31
Nomijutsu is of course an ancillary art. Subsumed long ago by the hard-partying grandson of the eldest Oguchi. Oddly, he didn't live very long although he won every duel. He was however famed for his musha shugyo which took him to every sake brewery and shochu distillery in Japan.

So does shokudo include ryoriwaza as well or does it focus only on tabejutsu and related techniques?

Steve Williams
10th June 2003, 23:50
Just call it the "Scotch and related alcohol" forum :D

Meik Skoss
11th June 2003, 02:20
You do realize, of course, the REAL meaning of "musha shugyo" -- going on a pub crawl by shank's mare. DUI is a *very* serious offense in Japan, so it is the custom to walk from bar to bar, thus the term "musha" (kuruma [automobile] nashi [not; absence of] and "shugyo" (o-sake [by extension, all forms of alcohol] and iku [going (to/for ...)].

Ah, etymology is, indeed, a wondrous thing!

Earl Hartman
11th June 2003, 03:21
Oy. Somebody kill it before it attacks again.

Andy Watson
11th June 2003, 12:29
:laugh:

Hooray for the gift of subtle humor.

Shokudo is a fantastic name also of course capturing the hononym "dining room" meaning.

Why don't we make it to cover all aspects of things stuffed down yer gob?

Meik Skoss
11th June 2003, 12:57
Mya-ha-ha-HA-HA-HAAAA... My nefarious plan to take over e-Budo by causing fear and loathing is beginning to work. Mya-ha-ha-HA-HA-HAAAA... (Or should that be "nyuk-nyuk-NYUK"?)

joe yang
11th June 2003, 14:17
Okay, but we award belts by sizes. Instead of colors, beginners get S, M and L. Black belts start as X, then run XL, 2X, 3X, 4X etc.

Rachel
11th June 2003, 15:53
Oh such eloquence from those masters of Budo... call it what ever, but lets have some class & decorum...Pleeeeeeeeze.

Small, medium & large ?! I thought blokes only believed in large & enormous ?! as for "gob"... oh all that money wasted on his education !?

Beevies away it seems then...

:toast:

tut tut

Rachel Hahn-Morris
(she wiv class)

Andy Watson
11th June 2003, 16:56
Well, just to prove that "filth" is in the mind of the beholder (Rachel), Joe was talking about waist sizes.

Clean your mind young lady!

joe yang
11th June 2003, 20:36
Ooow, oow, and uniforms. Starched white chef's jackets, with detachable collars, sleeves that fold back, and frogs, instead of buttons, like kung fu uniforms. And black and white houndstooth check pants.

BC
12th June 2003, 19:15
And don't forget aprons...

Both empty hand and weapons styles...

Weapons of choice would need to be indentified with formalized styles
-knives (carving, paring, butter...)
-spoons (wooden and metal)
-forks
-chopsticks
-spatulas
-tongs
-corksrews
-bottle openers

elder999
12th June 2003, 19:20
Let's not forget the God of the Kitchen, and that indispensible kitchen "weapon," the mallet:

J. A. Crippen
14th June 2003, 02:28
Instead of houndstooth pants, why not houndstooth hakama? After all, we're carrying on an ancient tradition here, oughta dress the part.

I'm envisioning a round, white-haired, elderly nihonjin dressed in a white kimono looking remarkably similar to a cook's jacket and in checked hakama, sleeves tied back and hashi in his right hand, a cup full of sake sitting near his left knee. He sits motionless on the tatami, his chest smoothly rising and falling with his breath. At the top of a breath he levitates straight up from tatehiza, his hashi snapping out to a piece of o-toro sitting atop a small wooden platform. The sushi seems to silently vanish with the sound of rustling clothing dying in the air. He sinks back into tatehiza, unbelievably smooth for a man of his apparent age. Once again on the ground, he picks up his sake, sips noisily, swallows, and puts the cup down. He sits unmoving for a few more moments, then nods and grunts, looks over at the couple of students sitting by the wall, and gestures for them to begin practicing the kata.

joe yang
14th June 2003, 02:34
Yeah! Let's see Bobby Flay do that. :p