PDA

View Full Version : Japanese name for sword stand

J. A. Crippen
11th June 2003, 01:38
What's the typical Japanese term referring to a sword stand or weapons rack? And how are the vertical and horizontal ones differentiated?

renfield_kuroda
11th June 2003, 03:47
Also not unheard of to put a tachi on a katanagake (horizontal rack) blade down, or to stand a katana on a vertical rack.

Regards,
r e n

J. A. Crippen
14th June 2003, 00:58
Hmm... Lots of weapons, meaning something like what one sees on (or by) the wall in a dojo where a number of different weapons are trained with. So a rack with bokken, jo, rokushakubo, naginata, etc. My guess is that it'd just be a 'bukigake' but it's just a guess.

Oh, and speaking of wooden weapons, is there a word for them? Kibuki (木武器)? Or do people just say "木の武器"?

I heard or read somewhere that the placement of the sword in the katanagake has a lot of associated meaning. Blade down, tsuka to the right, and it's meant to be grabbed and used in an emergency. Tsuka to the left, maybe not. Blade up makes it even more difficult. At least that's what I remember. Am I wrong?

I've never seen a yarigake, but now I know what to look for the next time I happen to be passing through a castle.