PDA

View Full Version : Have you read this book?

CKohalyk
11th June 2003, 05:10
Has anyone read this book:
Turnaround: How Carlos Ghosn Rescued Nissan (http://www.amazon.co.jp/exec/obidos/ASIN/006051485X/ref=sr_aps_eb_/250-8806901-6985059)

I saw it in Maruzen last night and it looks interesting. I am contemplating whether to buy it or not (we don't have it in the school library), and I would like to hear a review from somebody with experience in a Japanese company.

Cheers,

CK

Mekugi
22nd June 2003, 17:15
I like any book that makes the narrow minded Salaryman go "Ohh I hatta da gaijin soo mucha"

I expect to see more foreign business men that actually know how to conduct an international business without the support of the USA coming more and more prominant in Japan. They have been living in a bubble for too long over here.

-R

CKohalyk
1st August 2003, 01:49
Okay, I got the people at the library to order it and I read the book this week. Here is my (pathetic) review:

The book outlines Carlos Ghosn's history and his experience at Nissan, focusing on the managing techniques he used in his approach to Nissan. It clearly describes a few of the major problems Nissan had with its business practices prior to Ghosn's appointment as advisor, and illustrates how Ghosn solved many of the problems on his way to becoming CEO.

This book must have originally been an article. It is only 240pgs, of doublespaced, 12pt font, wide margins and chapters only start on the right page. The author repeats himself about ten times per point throughout the book. It is not very well written and has only praise for Ghosn; I almost think Ghosn paid him to write it for good PR (but for the fact that he is too smart to be so obvious).

That said I still think it is worth the read. The authour's descriptions of the keiretsu, amakudari, and other (stupid and counter-productive) Japanese business practices is great, and I'm sure you'll be nodding your head along with every sentence (I know I was). Also, the way Ghosn deals with these particular problems is very inventive, and although it is repeated ad nauseum, it will have you cheering.

The book is expensive, and not worth its price, but it is a good (quick) read, so I recommend getting it out at the library.

That's all for now,

CK

Kobe
1st August 2003, 03:40
I agree with you 100% as well as with Russ(first time and I guess the last).
For me the main point its how the common sense can overcome all the odds, even in Japan and with such a holy cow as Nissan.
But even I will not argue the amazing skills of Ghosn, the team he brought from France and US, the situation of Nissan(it was on the bottom), a very strong and experienced company behind(Renault)daring attitude and questioning all the procedures made the "miracle".
No doubt a example to be follow for many companies in this country.

Mekugi
1st August 2003, 05:26
Originally posted by Kobe
I agree with you 100% as well as with Russ(first time and I guess the last).

Prolly not the last. Besides, conflicting opinions make for better conversation!

-Russ

Kobe
1st August 2003, 08:41
Agree with you again.......;) I´m start to worry!!!

Vapour
1st August 2003, 12:32
When I used to work in Mazda and Mazda's boss were American from Ford. Once in a while, as a part of Japanese custom, he had to make company/factor wide announcement. He initially did that in Japanese. I don't think he actually could speak Japanese. So it was quite funny listening to him but we did appreciate his effort. Unfortunately, he later switiched to making speech in English and then a Japanese translator made the same announcement in Japanese. I think he realised that he was loosing his cool. :)

To be honest, without fluency in language, it is rather difficult for anyone to become an effective boss in anywhere. The value of gaijin boss, in my view, is that it allow break of old *politics* in Japanese company and they are often invited in to the company when the company top personels themselves realised that they are in deadlock. Introduction of lay off and break from keiretu would have been very difficut if the boss were picked internally. For the same reason, intoroduction of gaijin boss into middle management often end up badly. I do hear number of horror stories on that.