PDA

View Full Version : Mochizuki Minoru (Yoseikan Budo)

Phil Farmer
11th June 2003, 20:10
I posted this information on the Japan News board but it was suggested to post it here as well. I was informed today by his grandson, that Master Minoru Mochizuki, the founder of Yoseikan died at his son's home in France on May 30th. He was 96 years old.

Master Mochizuki was considered to be a national treasure of Japan and received many honors in his life. He had significant rank in aikido, shotokan,katori shinto ryu, jojutsu, judo, and several others. He was, to our knowledge, the last living,direct student of Ueshiba, Kano, and Funikoshi. He made numerous contributions in many countries and introduced aikido to Europe where he was famous for his judo skills as well.

During World War II, he was involved in the governance of Inner Mongolia in China. Many years later he was invited back to be honored for the work on roads, dams, and other municipal services that were his legacy. Truly, a great martial artist and a great humanitarian. He will be deeply missed by his students and the students of Yoseikan world-wide.

Dr. Phil Farmer
President
United States Yoseikan Budo Association

Brently Keen
12th June 2003, 00:11
My condolences to all his students, friends, and family. Mochizuki sensei certainly lived a full life and contributed much to the martial arts world.

Brently Keen

TommyK
12th June 2003, 02:24
Mr. Farmer,

Condolences to you, and all students of Mochizuki, Minoru sensei. His art is a true and effective art. May his memory be cherished forever.

In sympathy,
TommyK

Walker
12th June 2003, 07:18
Seems there is a passing of an era too often these days. Another teacher has left us.

StanLee
12th June 2003, 10:29
How very sad. It was only yesterday that I was researching into Mochizuki sensei background and history.

Also with the death of Nakamura sensei (sword arts forum) I feel that with each day passing, we are gradually losing the masters of the old and that we should seek their teachings as much as possible before they all depart us...

Stan.

Gil Gillespie
18th June 2003, 13:28
Most of our budo careers are a mass of training with salient moments that forever stand out. For me one of those moments was my brief exposure to Mochizuki Sensei's delightful hombu dojo in Shizuoka, Japan, on the banks of the Abegawa, at the foot of Mt Fuji. Here the great man disseminated his art for almost 70 years. Here he touched and molded lives, teaching, as Yoseikan translates, "where the truth is taught." Budo in general and aikido in particular are poorer for his passing, but forever richer for his having walked with us for a while on The Path.