PDA

View Full Version : Gone ... Just gone!

Markaso
12th June 2003, 23:00
A warning of sorts.

Went up to Kyoto for a little vacation and training at my old Dojo. Ended up teaching a few classes as my Sensei had to go into the hospital. It was fun to be back in the old Dojo.
While I was there I met up with a few friends and had a great time. The last day that I was there my wife and I got up early and had a walk in the Gosho ( Kyotos Imperial Palace ) grounds. Needed to pick up some Omiyage( souvenirs ) for some people in back home in Kyushu. That’s when it happened.
We parked the car in a department store parking lot on the 5th floor. It was attached to the department store. Went shopping. When we got back to the car almost everything was gone. Suit case, presents from friends and in-laws, clothes ,credit cards,personal file system ( the manual kind ), and many things that can not be replaced. My car was not the only one to get hit. Why am I putting this on e-budo?

1) The saddest part was I lost my first black belt ever given to me. And a Dogi ( uniform)

2) Just a sort of a reminder that these things also happen in Japan and it is getting worse here. So just do not take the safeness of Japan for granted when you travel here.

Mike Williams
12th June 2003, 23:05
That really sucks. I'm very sorry to hear it.

I had a motorbike stolen once - nothing compares to that sick feeling you get when you first see that it's gone.

You know, one of the reasons I study MA is in the vain hope of catching these scumbags in the act.

Cheers,

Mike

Markaso
12th June 2003, 23:36
Yeah, it is a bummer. I went through the motions with the police and all and I must say that they can be very efficient here. But all told I am pretty sure the stuff is gone.
Sure I would like to meet these guys, and sure I would like to be able to say that I would do a number on them but I do not think that the police wold let me get that close to them even if they did get caught. Also I am not sure I would do anything more than ask them where they dumped the stuff. But boy I sure wish I had caught them in the act! :up:

monkeyboy_ssj
13th June 2003, 11:20
I'm sorry to hear that dude.

The only thing that's happened to us was that our garage was getting broken into but our garage and house is all alarmed so the alarm went off.

The garage is at the bottom of the garden backing onto an alley way.

So i grabbed the first thing close (my bedroom is a weapons depo as most young Martial art's are) Which was an escrima stick and my Co2 Gun.

Run down there with all the security lights on and alarm blaring, with my Dad and 2 older brothers (my dad had a wing tip shoe in his hand and the one brother had a gothic candle, the other is alot smaller and was holding a breeze block!!)

The time we got down there they probably scarpered seeing this ram shackled band of people charging down the garden.

Run out the alley and the only car i could see was a transit driving off down the road, mum phoned the Poilce with a description.

Didn't here back unti lthe morning saying the vechicle was stolen and good from the other houses done were still in the back.

Nothing was missing from our garage though.

Markaso
13th June 2003, 15:56
The hard part is trying to remember just what I had in my file system ...... cards, written down numbers, addresses and such .... Yeah it is hard but I am trying to take the advice from everybody around me and trying to let it go and get on with trying to rebuild. Right now I am so lucky to have my training as it helps in the healings of my feelings.

Markaso
8th July 2003, 22:23
Yep ...... It sure is a pain!!! Got a couple of credit card statements since having everything stolen and there has been some usage. Yes all cards have been cancelled and I am not liable for those charges but it sure is a pain!!
I have to sign a voucher saying I did not charge anything every time there is a charge on the cards. This could go on for a while. I really want to meet these guys! Or I just want them to be stupid and get caught!

SIGH!!! ...........

Shitoryu Dude
8th July 2003, 22:27
I've been through this myself (wallet stolen in a department store). Be prepared to file letters with the various credit agencies explaining that some debts are not yours. You may have to send copies of police reports and swear out some affidavits.

:beer:

Markaso
8th July 2003, 22:52
Mr. Moul

In Japan I have been told by the police that we, us citizens, can not get copies of police reports. So we will have to see where it goes from here. At the credit card companies here in Japan all you need to do is file just once and then you are through. At least theat is what has happenred so far. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Shitoryu Dude
8th July 2003, 23:26
And people claim that the US is not a free society?

With Canada pressing for prosecution of non-PC thought and speech, Europe banning types of speech as well, and now Japan does not let you see police reports it really makes you wonder just what eveyone is hiding/worried about. I never would have imagined that police reports would not be available on demand.

:beer:

A. M. Jauregui
8th July 2003, 23:34
The freedom of information act did great things (sadly what it gave has been slowly taken away).

Mark I am sorry for your loss and hope that all does work out. Harvey you should start a thread...

PwarYuex
9th July 2003, 04:40
(More of a positive note).

I left my wallet at "Mister Donut", and came back to find it on the table (I think it dropped out of my bag and onto the seat), where two teenagers were eating. They placed it asside on the table. It had 8000 or so Yen in it... I reached for it, and one of them grabbed it, so I showed them my passport, which matched my Sydney trainpass, at which point they gave it back.

To be honest, I can't see that ever happening in many other countries.

Markaso
21st August 2003, 00:38
Well, it has been a while and here is what has happened. Since the cards were stolen there has been roughly 700,000 yen charged on my cards. No I am not responsible for that money...thank gosh! But I have learned that since they were stolen in Kyoto and used in Osaka the Kyoto police can not do anything about it. I also found out that the parking lot did have a video for that day but it has since been erased. SOP after one month. This investigation has not only been bungled by the store security(which is not unusual) but also by the police!
I also found out how little people, from banking institutions, offer information that could help your investigation. I and my wife have found out approximately where these guys either work or live just by going on line. Also waiting on information where one of my cards were denied a transaction. as They may have used it in a store with video equiptment. We will see where that goes.
By the way. For anyone who wants to start their own investigation in a foriegn country on similar matters...... it aint easy!

A. M. Jauregui
21st August 2003, 00:58
Best of luck. :)

Markaso
21st August 2003, 00:59
Thanks!