PDA

View Full Version : The Shark's Edge !

Prince Loeffler
15th June 2003, 07:15
THE CLAIM:

Shark's Cartilage supposively a possible treatment for everything from cancer to arthritis and promotes fast healing. The Author JD Cooper ( TKD instructor who reside in Maryland and freelance for MA Training Magazine) claims that his injured toes which lingered on for four months healed after taking dosage of shark cartilage.

The ultimate inprovement in which the author claimed is that his flexibility has improved, his joint mobility is more fluid, sore shoulder gradually disappeared. To make this post short, he does present in his article two case studies of people healing quickkly after taking shark cartilage.

THE PRODUCT DISPCRIPTION:

Shark Cartilage is typically comprised of 41 percent ash, 39 percent protien, 12 percent carbohydrate, seven percent water, one percent and 0.3 fat.

Second key ingriedient providing shark cartilage's anti-immflamatory is a class of compounds known as mucopolysaccharides. ( A compound that work the body's immune system to accelerate the healing process by affecting blood flow)

THE QUESTION:

This is the first I heard of this product. Are there anyone here familiar and have tried this product ?. If so, does it really work ?

Bob Steinkraus
16th June 2003, 13:25
Originally, shark cartilage was marketed as a cancer cure. This was based on the idea that sharks don't ever get cancer (they do).

The FTC has successfully shot down some of the more obvious frauds in this area, (http://www.quackwatch.org/02ConsumerProtection/FTCActions/lane.html) and I suspect that the same companies are trying to sell their stuff to a new batch of suckers.

JD Cooper doesn't seem to know very much about mucopolysaccharides, which are not anti-inflammatory drugs, (http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/002263.htm) and play no role in affecting blood flow in humans. In any case, whatever mucopolysaccharides that may be present in shark cartilage will be broken down into their component compounds, and digested like any other seafood. They are not absorbed directly, nor would they migrate preferentially to your aching joints.

At first glance, this seems to me to be a fairly run of the mill scam, doctored up with some misunderstood gobbledegook.

So, in answer to your question, no, there is no evidence that they work.

Prince Loeffler
17th June 2003, 07:30
Thanks Mr. Steinkraus,

I knew this product was to good to be true. I have bruises and sprains ( From Sparring) that take almost 3 weeks to completely heal. If this product does what it say it does, I wondered why no one I know whi is in the martial arts were taking it.

Again thank for the information and hope those researching about this stuff will find it here.

tb055
18th June 2003, 17:21
Could I suggest drinking plenty of pineapple juice to help those bruises disappear. I don't know why but a Muay-Thai friend is obsessed with getting plenty of vitamin c. He claims that it helps the body recover from bruises. Don't know the science behind it (if there's any) but as I like pineapple juice I don't worry too much. :)

shinobi77
18th June 2003, 18:28
Hi Guys,

I'm not so sure how much of an immediate remedy it might offer, but Glucosamine (w or w/o condrointen) tends to be pretty effective for people with chronic aches and pains. It comes in "pill form" and is also natural so if you're into the whole vitamin deal then it might help you out.

Just a thought. :D

Jed Konopka

Shitoryu Dude
20th June 2003, 23:06
Once you get a few injuries and get on in years to the point that your knees sound like rice crispies, glucosomine is a definite must for your vitamin regimine. I first heard about it from people who give it to horses to help them recover from injuries.

I've been taking it for years and have seen great results in my poor aching joints. It takes a few weeks before the benefits start to be seen, but once you start taking it you'll never go off.

:beer: