PDA

View Full Version : Training Music

Oni
17th June 2003, 20:14
Hello,

At my school we play various music in the background to help set a mood etc. I currently use an MP3 CD that has 110 songs on it that just randomly loops (all owned and ripped by me btw).

It includes artists such as Deep Forest, Enigma, Blue Man Group, Delerium, Kodo (3 cds worth), Intermix, some random 'Yoga style stuff', and a few techno style songs from movies such as Blade and Mortal combat The tracks include very little in the way of lyrics and are primarily drum/rhythm based.

I want to add some new tracks in, but have not been able to think of what else to add. Does anyone have any suggestions in keeping with the above style? Does anyone have anything they have played at their schools that really gets your training going?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Martial_Spirit
18th June 2003, 12:47
Not sure if this is exactly what you are after, but we often do embu's to music. I recently saw some friends do a really wicked embu to Linkin' Parks "In The End", Paradise Lost's cover of "Small Town Boy" and Mesh's "Trust You".

In terms of "classical" training music, I once attended a ju jitsu school that often played this. I think it was some japanese drum outfit - they are quite famous, but I can't remember their name.

Hope this helps

18th June 2003, 13:09
What you need is some good 80's motivational music. :D

Survivor-
Heart-
Bon Jovi-
Almost any music from a movie.

Ok, yeah, now in all seriousness, I mix it up quite a bit. Anything Techno for your up-tempo workouts, and anything new age for the slow ones. Loreena McKennit has been real popular with slow workouts.

If you like Kodo, you may also want to try the San Franciscon Taiko Dojo. They did the Taiko work in the movie "Rising Sun."

http://www.taikodojo.org/

Amos Smith
19th June 2003, 17:49
Interesting stuff. I've been experimenting with iai kata to various types of music and video taping the results. I'll write more when I've finished the research.

Amos

19th June 2003, 17:51
Amos,

You must try this to some of the SanFrancisco Taiko Dojo stuff. I typically like it better than Kodo, but it would be perfect for such a kata.

If you have one of those illegal music swappers (*gasp*), you can typically find some of it. If not, let me know, and I'll see what I can dig up for you.

Amos Smith
19th June 2003, 17:56
Thanks Jeff,

I'll pick some up and give it a try.

Amos Smith

Rogier
20th June 2003, 09:08
could you eleborate a bit more on the usage of the music during training (is it on all the time, do you use it in a specific way etc.)

During a weekend seminar they used some music for the warming up and for some repetition excercises.. It felt good and I'm thinking of introducing it to our competition training group

Striking Hand
20th June 2003, 09:12
If you are more into relaxing and ambience type of music have a look at Kitaro.

His music is often used for Yoga, TJQ and similar practice.

Some of his pieces also include Shakuhachi flute & Taiko drums.

Amos Smith
20th June 2003, 14:33
Originally posted by Rogier
could you eleborate a bit more on the usage of the music during training (is it on all the time, do you use it in a specific way etc.)

Sure Rogier,

I haven't been using the music for the hyoshi, but rather for kokoro. I've noticed over the years, a certain tendancy towards driving fast when listening to some music while moving at a slower pace to more mellow music.

I wondered if music would have an effect on my iai also. Music never plays during class, though. This exercise is only done when I'm locked in the dojo by myself.

Amos

Oni
20th June 2003, 18:03

During a weekend seminar they used some music for the warming up and for some repetition excercises.. It felt good and I'm thinking of introducing it to our competition training group

Rogier,

I leave it on all the time for the most part (turn it off or way down during visualizations or discussions)...it is primarily just kept low as background mood. Sometimes if a piece hits at the right time I will crank it up a bit to suite the atmosphere of the class.

Occasionally the 'wrong' piece will hit at the wrong time and I just hit 'next' on the remote I keep near the center of the dojo.

wendy ongaro
25th June 2003, 00:46
I like latin music.. a good salsa or tango gets the blood going, especially during footwork drills.

A. M. Jauregui
2nd July 2003, 07:14
For yoga most things Lisa Gerrard are right on the money. My dojo does not play music during practice so I cannot help there - sorry.

Oni
2nd July 2003, 07:20
Originally posted by A.M. Jauregui
For yoga most things Lisa Gerrard are right on the money. My dojo does not play music during practice so I cannot help there - sorry.

Heh...I do have two Dead Can Dance songs on the new mix. Two of the tracks from Spiritchaser worked out pretty well.

A. M. Jauregui
2nd July 2003, 11:09
You might also like Sacrifice from Lisa Gerrard mixed by Paul Oakenfold on Perfecto Presents Another World (Disc 2).

MarkF
2nd July 2003, 11:48
What happened to John Lee Hooker, Muddy Waters, later Beatles (The Dave Clark Five had a great song for the dojo, "Bits and Pieces")?

This is great stuff for 1000 repetitions of uchi komi. But you kids are cute.:p

Lyrics are important, very nice subliminal messages hidden. Must play it backwards, though. Moving meditation, anyone?

Mark

Rogier
2nd July 2003, 12:23
Originally posted by MarkF
What happened to John Lee Hooker, Muddy Waters, later Beatles (The Dave Clark Five had a great song for the dojo, "Bits and Pieces")?

Mark

who are those guys?? Music for in the dojo? Justin Timberlake, Britney Spears and those Tatu girls... :D :D

Oni
2nd July 2003, 19:41

who are those guys?? Music for in the dojo? Justin Timberlake, Britney Spears and those Tatu girls... :D :D

AAAAAHHHHHHH!!! Due to the discussion of 'Tatu' in the general forum I decided to download a song or two on my trusty file stealing software. I now have one of their chorus firmly STUCK in my head...and I don't even like it that much :( It just has that 'catchy' quality to it. No WAY I would do that to my students :p (not that I think you are being serious anyway, just wanted to rant ;))

ichibyoshi
2nd July 2003, 22:24
I have to train in a stadium where next door there is an aerobics class (still waiting for THAT fad to die!). After ten years I've learned to tune out to what passes for music in their "dojo" but I truly long for a dojo that has real silence as the background music. Maybe birdsong, or the wind. Urban life is so filled with noise - internal, external, self-inflicted and ubiquitous - that I wonder why anyone would want to add to that.

My personal pet hate is music-for-the-sake-of-it. I've had to teach myself not to turn on the radio or CD player automatically in much the same way as I taught myself not to light up a cigarette automatically. I think there's (often, not always of course) a masking mechanism going on when we switch on electronic media.

And before you tell me that I'm on a computer, that's different, 'cos I'm at work ;).