PDA

View Full Version : Spike Lee is a.....

BigJon
18th June 2003, 19:18
http://www.cnn.com/2003/SHOWBIZ/TV/06/18/spiketv.ap/index.html

I think that he is out of line here...plus he needs to stay off the basketball courts and watch like everyone else!:rolleyes:

Jon Gillespie

Charlie Kondek
18th June 2003, 20:02
I like his movies very much, but for some time I've thought he was an arse.

BigJon
18th June 2003, 20:06
Ok, movies aside...I agree there. But does he think he is the only person named Spike? Or- is it because Spike Tv is from The Nashville Network?

Jon Gillespie

Shitoryu Dude
18th June 2003, 20:07
Spike Lee is a racist, and a pretty blatent one at that.

I've watched several of his movies and was unimpressed for the most part. I just don't find them very entertaining, though there were a few scenes in Jungle Fever that I found funny.

:beer:

elder999
18th June 2003, 20:08
Artists are often arses....can't be helped,actually. He believes that he is THE "Spike"; he IS a corporation, though.....I think he'll lose this one.

When I lived in New York, the Korean-owned deli down the road was called, after the family, "Ma's". They had a burger called
"the Big Ma,"for a little while, and then McDonald's slapped them with an injunction! It was only written on a little 2'X2' blackboard!

This "trademark" stuff can get very silly, especially when egos are involved.

BigJon
18th June 2003, 20:19
Harvey, forget his movies. What do you think about the lawsuit? ( Iam not trying to order you around...)

Jon Gillespie:)

climbthis
18th June 2003, 20:50
"...moose..."

oh no wait. that's bullwinkle

jerome cervantes

Charlie Kondek
18th June 2003, 21:39
Originally posted by Jon G.
Harvey, forget his movies. What do you think about the lawsuit? ( Iam not trying to order you around...)

Jon Gillespie:)

I am. Go to the store and get me a six-pack. And when you're done wash my car. Also, pull the weeds from around the driveway.

:p

Duff
18th June 2003, 21:52
I just saw a commercial on TNN that said the following

"WE ARE THE FIRST NETWORK FOR MEN. DUE TO A NEW YORK STATE COURT RULING, WE CANNOT ANNOUNCE OUR NAME AT THIS TIME. @#$%"

So at least they seem to have a sense of humor about it.

Shitoryu Dude
18th June 2003, 21:58
I think Spike Lee's ego is bigger than his common sense. I bet he just wants to be paid off.

A. M. Jauregui
18th June 2003, 22:18
It is absolutely preposterous. He is not even the only famous personality with the first name Spike. Spike Jonze of the top of my head.

I truly hope that Spike Lee gets quite a bit of backlash for this not just free publicity.

BigJon
18th June 2003, 22:42
I am. Go to the store and get me a six-pack. And when you're done wash my car. Also, pull the weeds from around the driveway.
I SAID HARVEY NOT CHARLEY...ok what kind of beer?
Jon Gillespie

Kevin73
25th June 2003, 18:35
They have to also put a hold on next seasons Buffy because he is demanding that they rename or take off the "Spike" character. LOL

Just kidding but to me that amounts to the same kind of crap that he is pulling. He is just being a media wh*re and doing it for the attention.

Iain
26th June 2003, 00:34
Peter: "damn, that's about as natural as a white mans dialogue in a Spike Lee movie!"

-cut to scene of a black man in a pizza parlour-

Black Man: "I'll get a slice of the pepperoni"

White cashier: "Rargh! Blargh! Rargle! Grrar!"

anyone else watch Family Guy. I think they nailed Spike Lee perfectly.

I never understood black racism. If the S#it ever does hit the fan, it's not like they have a hope in hell of winning. You'd think they'd have learned from us; bide your time, present yourself as non-threatening, and when you've gained their trust, kick the hell out of them, take all their s#it and leave them for dead.

Shitoryu Dude
26th June 2003, 05:50
I've never understood it myself either, but it exists. I work with a black man in his 50's. He is a modern success story - son of a sharecropper (one of over a dozen kids) who joined the Navy and then went to college and became an aerospace engineer. He has a good job, benefits, respect, and his kids went to exclusive colleges. He did all of it on his own merit and hard work and by his own admission cannot readily point to any discrimination that has affected him.

He makes Al Sharpton sound like a KKK member.

What really got me though was last summer when a local crackhead murdered a cop while he was higher than all hell. Like always, my coworker started to rationalize the murderer's actions because he was black. Whenever a black man gets shot by the cops in Seattle for any reason, this assh*le claims it is police brutality and that the cops are engaged in a "race war" against black people. Doesn't matter that they are typically armed and waving around a gun or a sword - its all a big conspiracy by them white folks. Well, this time he was trying to show how it wasn't really the crackhead's fault that he murdered a cop because crack makes you do crazy things and you shouldn't be responsible for your actions when you smoke crack. The final straw was when he started off with "Well, we all know someone whose life has been ruined by crack."

I couldn't take it anymore. "What the f*ck are you talking about? I don't know any crackheads and never have. Nor would I ever associate with one. Nobody here but you knows a single f*cking crackhead."

That was pretty much an end to it.

joe yang
26th June 2003, 14:27
There is another Spike Jones?

Charlie Kondek
26th June 2003, 14:41
Yes, Joe. There is a young Spike Jonez or Jonze who directs movies ("Being John Malkovich," "Adaptation"). The Spike Jones you're thinking of is the genius who did "In Der Fuhrer's Face" and such other notable hits. My grandma saw him in Detroit at the Fox theater in the 30s and said he and his band were friggin' hilarious!

http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Palms/1440/pictures.html

Chuck Munyon
26th June 2003, 17:25
Spike Jones Jr. is in fact siding with TNN at the moment. Apparently a documentary about his Dad is in the works, and they want to call it "Spike!" They're afraid if Lee gets his way, they won't be able to.

Small man, very big Ego. Perhaps in a little while it'll no longer be "the Napoleon Complex," it'll be "the Spike Complex."

Shitoryu Dude
26th June 2003, 17:58
Spike Lee needs to get over himself and his 3rd rate movie efforts.

joe yang
27th June 2003, 03:26
...Shelton Lee. Spike is just a nickname. Now the way I understand it, you can't give yourself, or claim a nickname. A nickname is given to you, for good or bad. Now Spike is kind of a tough guy nickname. So would a tough guy named Spike, go to court to protect his name? Maybe it's time we all start refering to Mr. Lee as Shelton, or Shelly or something. :D

wendy ongaro
27th June 2003, 04:32
You have got to be kidding me... this is almost as bad as the lawsuit between Ralph Lauren and the United States Polo Association... Ralph Lauren has decided that everything Polo is the trade mark of their polo line- regardless of the fact that they named it after the game in the first place.

I hope Spike gets his ass kicked in court. Y'all are talking about the political correctness of the 1990's? Here's the PC of the new millenium- DON'T YOU NAME ANYTHING AFTER MY TRADEMARK. DO NOT TAKE THE TRADEMARK IN VAIN! Soon McDonald's will be serving papers on folks from Scotland with the same surname. gimme a break.

joe yang
27th June 2003, 07:44
Wendy, you can't reason with stupid people. When they get too stupid, there is only one way to go, get more stupid. Then get even more stupid. And keep being stupid till they get the hint.

So maybe you should change the name of your game. You could call it Ralph! :D

Senjojutsu
27th June 2003, 11:47
If Shelton "Spike" Lee gets to sue for potential demeaning of his name, whom do I sue for the degradation of my name John.

How did my noble first name get to be linked to:

1) a toilet
2) an ass-open hospital pajama
3) any male soliciting a common streetwalker

Almost every other Monday in a big city newspaper you will read about "x number of Johns" arrested in Operation Squeeze during the weekend.

This blatant persecution of Johns must stop!!! :redhot:

NO JUSTICE!!! NO PEACE !!!

wendy ongaro
27th June 2003, 15:01
no, Joe, you're right. you can't reason with stupid people. But you can make fun of them as much as possible, and they will take themselves so seriously, they won't even get it!!!:D

Tamdhu
27th June 2003, 17:52
Spike Lee is a self-righteous, attention-seeking loudmouth nutbag, as well an exciting and inventive film maker.

Onmitsu
27th June 2003, 20:17
Harvey,
I don't know any crack heads either. Too funny!:laugh:

seskoad
28th June 2003, 18:15
Originally posted by Charlie Kondek
I like his movies very much, but for some time I've thought he was an arse.

hey charlie, I thought american write "ass". I remember one of student in my surveying class write "asshole" on the blackboard before the class started. And the teacher said "it's wrong spelling, we are aussie not american" :D

Bod
1st July 2003, 19:49
What about the late Spike Milligan?

joe yang
2nd July 2003, 00:24
Ooooww, ooww, and how about the infamous "Spike Bar", now defunct, in Greenwich Village? :D

Charlie Kondek
2nd July 2003, 13:53
Originally posted by seskoad

hey charlie, I thought american write "ass". I remember one of student in my surveying class write "asshole" on the blackboard before the class started. And the teacher said "it's wrong spelling, we are aussie not american" :D

Hahaha! You're right, Umar. Sometimes we Americans say "arse" when we are in international company. Y'know, it's the polite thing to do. :D