PDA

View Full Version : Shabu Shabu

A. M. Jauregui
19th June 2003, 08:02
As in Koji’s Sushi & Shabu Shabu Restaurant in the Kodak theatre on Hollywood and Highland.

I tried this for the first time recently. I found that it was fairly good but was somewhat put off buy having to cook my own meal in a hot pot.

What do you girls and guy think? Are you a Shabu Shabu nut? :)

Striking Hand
19th June 2003, 08:07
Shabu Shabu is ok.

I prefer okonomi-yaki or monja though.
Plenty of japanese food in a restaurant is cooked/grilled by the patrons.

So what's wrong with cooking your own food?
;)

A. M. Jauregui
19th June 2003, 08:45
Oh nothing is wrong with cooking it on one’s own. I love to cook in general. But the dress that I was wearing was so not meant to come in contact with hot soy sauce *lol* from the swishy-shishy. Let’s just say that I was dressed for a night on the town not cooking over a hot pot. And *darn* it a girl deserves a night off from cooking now and then. :laugh:

Like I said it was not that bad but now that I know how to make it, there is no point in my date shelling out $20+ for it at a restaurant *were I am cooking it myself anyhow*.

I have been to a okonomi-yaki restaurant but the chef made me his specialty so I just sat back and watched. It was not bad but I prefer other Japanese cuisine more. So okonomi-yaki is "ok" in my book Peter. ;)

Striking Hand
19th June 2003, 09:43
Ana.

I fully understand.

Over here in Japan, you even cook your own Teppan-yaki.
Restaurants where someone cooks for you tend tend to pricey over here, exceptions to excist of course.

I agree that a lot of food like Shabu-shabu, Teppan-yaki, Okonomi-yaki & Yaki-niku are nothing special and are often eaten at home here too.

Worst Japanese food I ever saw was in phuket Tongatsu submerged in miso-soup.
:rolleyes:

Cheers.

A. M. Jauregui
26th July 2003, 07:17
Maybe there is something to swishy-shishy. I have to say the second times was more of a charm. (Still have not made any home attempts.)

hyaku
26th July 2003, 15:40
Shabu Shabu is something we eat when its colder. We usually eat Hiya Shabu in Summer. The "very" thin sliced cold boiled pork is put on a bed of salad and topped with a rich sesame dressing. Give me a Kamo (Duck) Nabe anytime

Some of the places you grill your own have an eat as much as like system.

But they always go for a big bowl of plain rice to eat with food here. I have an idea they would soon go out of business if it was in the west.

Hyakutake Colin

A. M. Jauregui
26th July 2003, 21:56
Koji’s Sushi & Shabu Shabu Restaurant (http://www.kojisjapan.com/index.asp) in the Kodak theatre on Hollywood and Highland is only in business for it is considered trendy and fairly up scale - they charge accordingly. I believe that they also server sushi and know that they also server Japanese beverages. (I bet that the sushi and the beverages are the real money makers.)

Koji and and the few other shabu shabu restaurants try to show themselves off at a Japanese delicacy, so as long as the trend continues they will be safe. Yoshinoya Beef Bowl it will never be..