PDA

View Full Version : This is just WRONG!!

Shitoryu Dude
21st June 2003, 22:56
"original link" (http://icwales.icnetwork.co.uk/0100news/0200wales/content_objectid=13092878_method=full_siteid=50082_headline=-Metrosexual-and-proud-name_page.html)

An abhorrent, supportive article on the UK phenom known as a "Metrosexual", also known as ball-less wonders. Hopefully, these misguided weenies will grow up and quit acting like women by the time they hit 30. This reminds me of a very derogatory article written by a woman recently about "gay-acting straight men" who made her stomach churn.

Metrosexual and Proud

A STUDY from communications group Euro RSCG Worldwide has recently examined men's attitudes to women, life goals and gender roles.

The findings indicate that the popular image of men as insensitive, macho slobs has almost disappeared.

The report found that "modern British men have accepted the feminist revolution in the past 30 years and have become more feminine in the process.

"Men have turned into metrosexuals."

David Beckham is a prime example of a metrosexual icon. A top-class footballer, he wears sarongs and nail varnish and changes his hairstyle more often than most women.

He is clearly in touch with his feminine side - as his dalliance with his wife's underwear graphically displays.

Beckham has posed for the cover of gay magazine Attitude and is happy to be admired by both men and women.

The metrosexual is a new development on the New Man stereotype created in the 1980s, quickly replaced in the 1990s by the New Lad.

John Cosby Ross of Golley Slater advertising agency in Cardiff said, "I think the Lad may be a young bloke who may read FHM, and is interested in fixing up his car, or car stereos."

Lad culture even spread to the female market. All over the country, Ladettes were trying to prove they could watch football and drink as much as the men.

Today, even the traditional Lad magazines are realising that men are becoming more interested in fashion and beauty, and are dedicating more pages to these topics.

While the Metrosexual has his soft spot like the New Man, the difference is they also have a tough side - witness David Beckham's sending-off against Argentina in the 1998 World Cup.

But it's not just Beckham. It is now deemed acceptable for men to participate in a traditionally female activity - grooming.

The challenge of the marketers is still to convince men that it is perfectly normal to groom.

A spokesperson from Nivea for Men said, "(we) have done this by keeping it straightforward and masculine (without being macho)."

Their latest marketing campaign has taken the angle that looking after your skin doesn't make you a girl - including such tag-lines as "looking after your skin doesn't mean you don't know the offside rule".

Simon Hubbard, who runs www.malegrooming.co.uk, said "It is a growing market.

"The women's cosmetic market boomed 10 years ago when the traditional cosmetic companies like Est e Lauder or Clinique faced competition from smaller firms coming in, and it's the same in the men's market."

Celebrity icons are helping to drive the industry. With the increased focus on their looks and lifestyle as well as their careers, the public are taking more of an interest.

Hilary Andrews, founder of Mankind Online (www.mankindonline.co.uk) said, "Male grooming has taken off recently due to the more easy availability of products and the lead set by celebrities.

"There is also increased pressure on men to compete in the work place, and having a smart, sharp image is very important."

Mr Cosby Ross says, "There are male stereotypes, but which one to target depends on the individual campaign you are running."

Dr John Jewell, advertising lecturer at Cardiff School of Journalism commented, "Of course advertisers are going to target young successful males - they earn the money and spend the money."

"Young men have been marketed to in the same way as women, for some years now - men use beauty products in a way that was unheard of even 10 years ago," he said.

"I suppose all this metrosexual- man stuff means that men are suddenly allowed to be more comfortable with their feminine side (as the advertisers will tell us) and this then frees them up to buy skin- care products."

The spokesperson from Nivea for Men said, "Metrosexual man is the peak of our target group but we do not target him specifically, as our offering is too down to earth.

"We do not want to put off the ordinary man on the street, as we see skin-care as an essential part of a man's routine, and not just a trend."

Few can deny that men are taking more care of themselves, and it looks like the metrosexual is here to stay.

How many of you women will be complaining?

Nearly all of them once they get their fill of these pansies. Give it ten years and these guys will be putting their past at arm's length and lying about it.

:beer:

Vapour
22nd June 2003, 00:14
Huh? I don't see anything wrong here, except that I smell big conspiracy by cosmetic industry to sell their over priced gadget to us. When I shave, I use soap.

Joseph Svinth
22nd June 2003, 00:16
Where I work, the men wear earrings and the women sport tattoos. Many of them are older than me, too.

TenguAteMyPuppy
22nd June 2003, 00:56
http://www.somethingawful.com/articles.php?a=1486

Shitoryu Dude
22nd June 2003, 03:08
This goes way beyond tattoos and earrings - this is a major step toward total, systemic, deliberate, emasculation. Makeup, getting in touch with your "feminine side", manbags - enough to make adult men want to puke. I personally have a big issue with the entire concept of "feminine side" - it reeks of PC psychobabble.

I think the entire article goes along way toward the concept of urban life breeding psychosis.

A. M. Jauregui
22nd June 2003, 03:50
"How many of you women will be complaining?"

I sure wouldn't be. A lot of the guys that I know do not take care of themselves well enough. Personally I prefer a well groomed and nice smelling man. The only issue that I have is that most guys pick horrendous or non-matching colors when they dye there hair.

Guys already have the best razors and related items. I have not found anything better then the Gillette Mach III and S.C. Johnson & Sons Edge Pro Gel for sensitive skin with aloe to shave my legs. The Venus is a horrible imitation to the Mach III *sadly*.

Btw I do not want a He Man nor do I want a prissy boy - like most things moderation and not the extremes is what to aim for. I can only speak for myself but...

Shitoryu Dude
22nd June 2003, 04:14
Trust me, from what I have seen of the "Metrosexual" or the "MIRL", they have taken it to a whole new extreme of prissy boy. I don't know of very many women who have enjoyed the company of straight men who start acting like women or gay men. They shortly get sick of it and start looking for a guy who acts more like he might want to slap them on the butt and then do something about it.

This isn't about matching your shirts with your slacks or taking a shower on a daily basis and brushing your teeth, its about looking like some sort of Duran Duran poofter - and thinking you actually have any masculinity left. Or is the thought of lots of men all looking like Boy George sounding hot to you?

Vapour
22nd June 2003, 04:50
You know, why do you care what other do. Usually, if a guy get offended by other men's sexual behaviour like you do, people make fun of you for being latent homosexual.

As of smelling, here is a quote.

"Real men smell and real women like it.":laugh:

A. M. Jauregui
22nd June 2003, 05:02
Originally posted by A.M. Jauregui
I do not want a He Man nor do I want a prissy boy - like most things moderation and not the extremes is what to aim for.

I stand by what I said.

From the looks of the article I do not see men such as David Beckham (which it singles out) as Duran Duran poofters. If you have addition articles for a variety of sources posting them maybe be beneficial.

Harvey while most guys step up to the challenge in daily social life - work, school, and whatnot. If given a few days of vacation they go straight to bum in an awful hurry hygiene wise. It is my belief / hope that through these products guys will not fall off the grooming wagon as readily.

As technology such as stain / wrinkle resistant clothing, body sprays *which I love on guys*, and other hygiene / beauty products for men appear more and more women will be jumping for joy. I know that I will be for the last thing that I want to do is take care of cleaning, feeding, dressing a man - hell I want him to be a partner not a child.

Originally posted by Shitoryu Dude
They shortly get sick of it and start looking for a guy who acts more like he might want to slap them on the butt and then do something about it.

I nearly fell off my chair when I read this *seriously*. If that happen to me the guy if lucky would have a few broken fingers and if unlucky he is going to be pulling back what is left of his poorly amputated arm.

A. M. Jauregui
22nd June 2003, 05:07
Originally posted by Vapour
As of smelling, here is a quote.

"Real men smell and real women like it.":laugh:

Hajime, only certain natural smells are nice... :look:

I will give you a hint it is not :toot *lol*.

Shitoryu Dude
22nd June 2003, 05:50
Calling someone a latent homosexual is a rather disingenuous device used when you can't really argue with them. Very PC character assassin of you.

Sorry, but I just can't let the continued pussification of western civilization continue without a fight.

What sort of men do you hang out with that have such poor hygiene when nobody is watching? Sounds like a pack of trailer trash dweebs in their Camaros. No, this article is describing a batch of purse-carrying, foo-foo twits who have handed their balls over to nobody in particular (must not have had a dad around the house) so they can go act like a batch of sissies. Cripes, my gay friends don't even do the sort of crap described in that article.

A. M. Jauregui
22nd June 2003, 06:15
Easy there killer...

What sort of men do you hang out with that have such poor hygiene when nobody is watching? Sounds like a pack of trailer trash dweebs in their Camaros.

Just the typical graduate students, fellow workers at a fortune 500 company that I used to work for, and my cousins friends (typical new college grads). With that wide sample I think that I can extrapolate that my statement - hygiene going hell in a handbag when no one is looking - at least has some validity.

kirigirisu
22nd June 2003, 06:54
Calling someone a latent homosexual is a rather disingenuous device used when you can't really argue with them. Very PC character assassin of you.

...Not to mention implying they are either a pathological liar, a racist, a misogynist fanatic, a closet child molester, an uptight humorless prick who takes himself too seriously, a stain on the boxer shorts of humanity, a moderator's pitbull, and (alleged) moronic sh*tweasle, etc., etc., etc., ad nauseum.

Usually happens when you've plopped a few zingers to disturb the self-righteous P.C. Ueshiba-apeing (all form, no substance) "I'm better than you" peaceful enlightenment facade they've spent years trying to cultivate.

Keep up the good fight, Harvey.

kirigirisu
22nd June 2003, 07:01
Just the typical graduate students, fellow workers at a fortune 500 company that I used to work for, and my cousins friends (typical new college grads). With that wide sample I think that I can extrapolate that my statement - hygiene going hell in a handbag when no one is looking - at least has some validity.

Er, I think it's more a people-with-low-self-esteem issue rather than a people-with-penises issue.

Soap and deodorant, yes.

Foo-foo "body spray" with matching "man-purse" and Ryan-Seacrest-Special manicure/pedicure/facial peel, no.

Bud_Wiser
22nd June 2003, 07:07
This goes way beyond tattoos and earrings - this is a major step toward total, systemic, deliberate, emasculation. Makeup, getting in touch with your "feminine side", manbags - enough to make adult men want to puke. I personally have a big issue with the entire concept of "feminine side" - it reeks of PC psychobabble.

I think the entire article goes along way toward the concept of urban life breeding psychosis.

Yup, definitely PC emasculation.

I admit to having my hair cut at a salon though. I have very thin, straight hair and I've lived through years of bad haircuts before finally admiting that maybe gay hairstylists would know better, and they do. But that's about the only Metrosexual indulgence I have. I don't dye my hair, have nail polish or do any of that other stuff. And I certainly don't read magazines to look for grooming tips.

On the other hand, I don't fit the other end of the profile either. I keep my nails short and clean, I bathe daily, don't smoke, have good table manners, keep my 4 letter words to a minimum (less my daughter learns them from me) and I don't hang out with the guys at a bar every weekend.

So I guess I fall right in the middle of this demographic spectrum. But since I'm married and therefore don't have a lot of disposable income as compared to Metrosexual, then as far as the advertising industry is concerned, I don't matter.

A. M. Jauregui
22nd June 2003, 07:27
Thank you for your input, William. But from what I have seen your statement on self esteem is not wholly true. The sample that I have seen the "bumming" behavior surely includes those of low self esteem but I am sure that it also includes those that are bordering on egotistic.

Many average people (some not so average and some more then average with respect to economic, social, race, location, whatnot) easy up on the grooming when something as little as a 3 day weekend kicks in. The sample group that I have seen empirically tells me so.

Last statement:
Anyway grooming and the use of beauty aids for both sexes is not a bad thing. (See my previous posts for reasons).

And it is best to be the in the moderate middle - not a He Man nor a prissy boy. (Like the 3rd time I have said that *sigh*)

kirigirisu
22nd June 2003, 08:00
Eh. Then we agree to disagree.

Although, I tend to link certain types of laziness with low self-esteem.

And from my own wide-ranging sampling, I can say that there seems to be an inverse relationship between a so-called overachiever's accomplishments and his/her self-esteem.

No matter.

Happy medium to all, and to all a happy medium.

Now back to eating red meat and picking up heavy objects and putting them back down again...

Vapour
22nd June 2003, 12:17
I didn't directly accuse you of latent homosexual because this is very very old Freudian logic. Having said it, if it doesn't concern you, leave it to be. David Beckham's fetish for his wife's underwear is no concern to me. There are far more weired things in internet.

Soulend
22nd June 2003, 13:19
Many average people (some not so average and some more then average with respect to economic, social, race, location, whatnot) easy up on the grooming when something as little as a 3 day weekend kicks in.
Hell, I have always considered this one of the major benefits of a 3 day weekend (or more)!

As for 'Metrosexuals'...well, to each their own I guess. Wouldn't work out for me. Professional manicures don't last long if you enjoy turning a wrench, and body spray spooks deer.

joe yang
22nd June 2003, 18:07
This is a non-issue. It is not the end of the world. It is a lifestyle choice. We have to accept it. We don't have to adopt it. We don't have to like it. Some people have tolerance issues masked as fear of oppression. Stop being so provincial. The real frontier of sexual freedom and identity is trans speciesism! :D

Shitoryu Dude
22nd June 2003, 19:22
About the only thing I do on a three day weekend that involves less grooming is shaving my neck. I already have a beard, but would only trim my neck up about twice a week if left to myself and didn't feel the need to do it daily for work.

Having worked in places with large numbers of employees for the last 25 years has taught me this - women are just as likely to be stinky skanks as men. They give up on bathing, wiping their behind, shampooing, and brushing their teeth in about equal numbers as men do. Only women have their extra burden to bear during that special time of the month when they don't change their sanitary napkins as often as they should and they don't think everyone can smell them at 30 feet.

The answer is not putting on nail polish and eyeliner and carrying around a purse - it's hopping in the shower every morning, brushing your teeth and wearing clean clothes.

Vapour
23rd June 2003, 13:55
Balancing ying with yang.

http://whizzy4you.com/

:D

joe yang
23rd June 2003, 17:08
Whizzy deserves it's own thread.

adroitjimon
6th July 2003, 20:40
making no comment by making a comment about not making a comment.
towards comment that lack commentary worthy of comments posessing
intelligence .