PDA

View Full Version : Judo Results

MarkF
17th September 2000, 08:22
The first day's results have Japan winning gold in the first two of the men's and women's. Check out this address: http://www.ijf.org/events/Olympic/og00.html . It will keep you atuned to the day to day happenings.

Neil Hawkins
19th September 2000, 02:18
Yippee, our first ever Olympic Judo Medal!

The other bronze went to the home favourite, Maria Pekli of Australia, courtesy of a dubious judges' decision. Pekli had lost another decision to Fernandez in the semi-final but in the bronze medal fight she won a split decision against Cinzia Cavazutti of Italy. The Italian had seemed to be more dominant and was distraught at the end with what appeared to be a crowd-influenced decision. When asked if she thought the passionate home crowd had influenced the decision, Pekli replied honestly, "I think so, but I hope not." Pekli, was delighted to have won a medal, though, after losing three years of competition following a dispute with her native Hungarian association when she moved to Australia. She won a European championship silver medal back in 1996 in Belgium and now she has an Olympic bronze to add to that.

Ok, she's really Hungarian, but she's ours now! Did anyone see the fight? How blatent was the 'dubious judges' decision'?

Neil

MarkF
19th September 2000, 06:10
Hi, Neil,
There is just no coverage state side, I'm afraid, and dubious has been a catch-phrase since, oh, 1988?:D

Mark

Joseph Svinth
19th September 2000, 12:21
Nah, lousy officiating goes back to at least 1898 in the modern Olympics, and a few thousand years earlier than that in the ancient. During the Olympics of 388 BCE, for example, there was one of the first fixed boxing matches on record, and the Syracusans and Cretans were accused of buying national teams rather than playing fair...

Meanwhile, if I'm reading the IJF site correctly, as of this moment Japan has 4 medals, Cuba has 3, and Italy has 2. (BTW, if USSR were still a country, it would have 4 medals, too. So former USSR countries still have extremely viable judo programs.)

Anyway, is it true that the Cubans currently have the second strongest judo team in the world? If so, can the USA get the Cuban national coach to defect?

[Edited by Joseph Svinth on 09-19-2000 at 06:42 AM]

Jeff Cook
19th September 2000, 13:02
I have played with a former Cuban national judoka. Very vicious man! The safety of his partner never seems to influence how he executes technique. He is extremely hard on one's knees, and is responsible for some knee injuries in his club here in Florida.

He is a very nice guy, but he was trained to play a certain way. He has made a concerted effort to be more accomodating of his opponent's safety, but old habits die hard....

I would love to know more about the Cuban training regimen, but unfortunately the language barrier prevents anything but the most basic conversation between us.

I love that guy, but he is scary!

Jeff Cook
Wabujitsu

Joseph Svinth
20th September 2000, 08:39
Overall, the Japanese judo team remains in first place with 5 medals (3 gold, 1 silver, 1 bronze). Cuba, with 3 medals (1 gold, 1 silver, 1 bronze), is second. Korea is third. (While Korea also has 3 medals, its three are 2 silvers and a bronze.)

France, Italy, China, and Belgium all have two medals. Unsurprisingly, the Belgian and Chinese medals are both in women's judo, as this merely continues a historical pattern. Two of the Cuban medals and three of the Japanese medals are also women's.

When all this is done, I'll post team results for the Olympics. One interesting trend developing so far is that strength in a men's judo program does not necessarily translate into corresponding strength in a women's judo program.

[Edited by Joseph Svinth on 09-20-2000 at 05:22 AM]

MarkF
20th September 2000, 09:00
Well, if anyone is intersted in American chances in the Olympic judo venue, both the male favorites are out, all the way out.

Jim Pedro lost in the early rounds as did Jason Morris. Brian Olsen has yet to fight (I think), but Morris and Pedro also went out in the repechages, as well, although Pedro did make it to the finals of the "losers' rounds before losing by ippon by KATA GURUMA. Seems though someone was not paying attention here, folks. Celita Schutz also lost, but is not out, yet, whatever that means.:shot: Eek!

Mark

MarkF
21st September 2000, 10:01
Well, Brian Olsen went out in a hurry, and that's it, flks, from the greatest country in the world. Ta Daaah! Up now are the big folks. Possibly some interesting results from that, hopefully.

Mark

Joseph Svinth
23rd September 2000, 03:32
Okay, the breakout.

WOMEN'S

Total medal count is the same for the Cuban, Chinese, and Japanese women, but as you can see the Cubans had the highest overall score.

G S B
1. CUB 2 2 -
2. CHN 2 1 1
3. JPN 1 0 3

MEN'S

In men's, Japan remains number one.

G S B
1. JPN 3 1 -
2. ITA 1 - 2
3. FRA - 1 2

Note 1. Korea and Brazil are tied for fourth in men's judo, as both earned two silver medals.

Note 2. The former Soviet Union continues to train outstanding male judoka -- discounting a place where member teams tied for a bronze, member teams took home 5 bronze and a silver and so would have easily outpaced the Japanese. But of course URS doesn't exist any more.

OVERALL

Japan is the only country to be equally strong in both men's and women's judo. Thus it takes the overall honors.

G S B
1. JPN 4 2 2
2. FRA 2 2 2
3. CUB 2 2 1
3. KOR - 2 3