PDA

View Full Version : Non-MA training

Soulend
23rd June 2003, 18:07
This probably would be better under 'Budo and the Body', but I figured it would get more views here in the Lounge. How many of us use strength, flexibility, and/or aerobic conditioning in addition to their MA training? Check as many as you do, and especially if check 'Other', tell us about what your non-MA training consists of.

elder999
23rd June 2003, 18:26
Cool question, David.

My answers are kind of a hodgepodge, because I compete in triathlons, marathons, orienteering and mountain bike races....make that "participate" in those activities..I'm hardly competitive.:D

So, my day starts with calesthenics and yoga, and I lift weights or run about three times a week each-often for lunch. I also get my bike riding and swimming in at least twice a month each, and as a race nears, may do a brick or distance depending on what kind of race it is.

The bike riding is really just to keep up with my wife-she's the bike rider in the family, but I think some aerobic exercise and some resistance are important for everyone, especially martial artists-I can't believe how many out of shape people there are in MA across the spectrum, though it does seem prevalent in a few organizations and arts I won't name here....the yoga is really helping retard some of the inevitable decay of age, as is the weight lifting, though I cac't help noticing a decline in strength at 43 years of age...
:(

A. M. Jauregui
24th June 2003, 00:36
Weight training
3 days a week - don’t want to get too buff. ;)

Running/Jogging
Just a little bit after the weight training - me and jogging do not mix.

Calisthenics (push-ups, sit-ups, leg-lifts, etc.)
Push-ups mainly (which are hard for me) - the others listed are done at Pilates.

Aerobics/Pilates/Tae Bo etc
Pilates - one to two times per week

Yoga
One to two times per week.

Other
Swimming - about once a week.

Steve Williams
24th June 2003, 00:54
Hi People...

I edited the poll, to add the bottom option, since it seems the most logical.

I go to the gym, to do weights and cardio.....

I also go ice-skating once or twice a week..... that is quite aerobic.

So I would have voted for 3 different options :eek:

Soulend, If you want me to reset the poll then I can, just ask.

joe yang
24th June 2003, 01:58
TKD, weights, yoga, biking, walking. If it ever stops raining, kyaking and hiking. Does target shooting count?

Kimpatsu
24th June 2003, 03:00
I jog, go to the gym for rep weights, and stretch at home as well as training in Shorinji Kempo three times a week. I find it provides a nice, all-round balance.

Cady Goldfield
24th June 2003, 03:13
Originally posted by Kimpatsu
I jog, go to the gym for rep weights, and stretch at home as well as training in Shorinji Kempo three times a week. I find it provides a nice, all-round balance.

I would think it's the pub you'd go to for "rep weights." :beer:

Kimpatsu
24th June 2003, 03:18
Originally posted by Cady Goldfield
I would think it's the pub you'd go to for "rep weights." :beer:
No, Cady, my pub sessions are the marathon... :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer:

Soulend
24th June 2003, 03:19
Cool...looks like we have some very active budoka out there!

I thought about adding 'a combination' as Mr. Williams did, but I figured a lot of folks would be doing a variety of stuff and such an option would not show what sorts of activities people were doing (what I was going for here), only show how many did more than one thing.

Although I realized there was no way to look at the results and say "Hey, two do weight lifting and calisthenics; three do weights, calisthenics and yoga; and one does weights and yoga", by the number in each option it would give a rough idea of what kinds of things were popular.

I run and lift regularly, and sometimes swim and hike.

Hmmm, Joe, maybe if you held your Weaver stance a loooong time before each shot :D

Kimpatsu
24th June 2003, 03:36
Hey, David, are you back in the USA now?
One better option would have been to allow multiple posts on the poll, so I could have chosen gym/weightlifting and running as separate but mutually complementary options.
BTW, did you notice Osama Bin Laden gatecrashed Prince William's 21st birthday party?
Cheers, :beer: :toast:

Soulend
24th June 2003, 03:50
Yeah, I've been back for a little over a month or so. If you mean allow voters to check multiple options, i.e. both weightlifting and running...I did set it up like that. Perhaps our benevolent moderator edited that out too.:(

BTW, did you notice Osama Bin Laden gatecrashed Prince William's 21st birthday party?
How rude of him!

David T Anderson
24th June 2003, 04:14
A moderate, all-round weight routine twice a week, on the stationary bike 3 times a week, Aikido practice twice a week, two or three ab sessions a week. In a good week, I'm doing something every day. I'm getting into a rut, however...gotta replan my weights and find some new aerobic activity [inline skating, maybe, now that summer's here...I'd jog but it kills my legs].

If I could do Aikido 4-5 times a week I probably wouldn't need or want anything else...

StanLee
24th June 2003, 08:20
Well, my weekly training consists of two 3hr sessions of aikido, one 1hr session of the same and a 2hr session of kendo.

I had voted no, just MA because I think that I tend to put all my effort into these concentrated times.

But has no one thought of putting spirtual learning into the poll?

I have recently found a zen buddhism dojo near me and they practice zazen. I was think of starting that up aswell.

Stan

Martin Adil-Smi
24th June 2003, 12:50
jogging and swimming for me!

Chiburi
24th June 2003, 13:28
I've always been amazed how some people answer me when I ask them about their hobbies outside martial arts: "None. To become a good martial artist, you need to concentrate all your effort into that." I guess that's enough if good is what you aim for.
If I don't work out, I get cranky -- and then my MAs training suffers. As Lao-Tzu said, "To be worn out is to be renewed." I need to feel the exhaustion and pain, and through them clear up my head. It helps to set your priorities in order, survive the stress and the building up of things to do. I can take a fresh start, get new approaches and ideas, and get over impasses.
To get back to the subject, I used to jog more until I started my weight training with the aim of getting more mass. Now I have my weight training program on three days a week, my MA on 1-3 days a week (I have to cut down on MAs after hard training, especially when my program's changed.). Calisthenics is something I do outside the program, when I miss some parts, or at MAs lessons.
I enjoy swimming, but unfortunately the pool in our basement is 10-15 m long, so no long, steady distances there. We have a full sized one at our use at my school, which I might start using in the mornings before school starts-- if I can do it without compensating my sleeping hours.
I'm thinking of taking up some aerobics class, but time -- or more exactly the lack of it -- keeps my schedules tight.
I need to get my lazy hours as well, kind of as counter-training to my exhaustive work outs. That's when I develop the ideas I get during the brainless moments of weight lifting further.
Hope this post wasn't too long...I just didn't have the time to make it any shorter :) (Oscar Wilde paraphrased, I believe)

Cheers,

wendy ongaro
24th June 2003, 14:09
Oh boy, you asked.

martial arts- up to six hours per week. budo taijutsu for 3-4 hours, other martial skills we picked up along the way (boxing, pad work, TKD kicking, BJJ) for the other 2 hours.

weight lifting twice a week. running once a week.

horse stuff- dressage once a week, stick and ball (polo) once a week, and my polo lesson on saturdays. Every now and then I get to do a weekend horsepacking in the mountains.

I also try to get a nice long hike in, usually on Sundays, depending upon my exhaustion level, and preferably to my fishing site. :D

In the winter, when there is no polo, I do my 4-6 hour crosscountry/backcountry ski weekend marathons.

In the fall, I spend my weekends deer hunting. Sometimes, I get to go elk hunting with friends. When I have a back yard (which I currently don't) I try to practice my archery a couple times a week. Once we get a backyard, and a dog, and I get the recurve bow I want, I would like to start bird and rabbit hunting.

I stay pretty darn active.

Charlie Kondek
24th June 2003, 14:40
Convenience is key, isn't it? If I could have my way I'd start every day with kendo, bam, 6 AM, a spirited hour's practice.

As it is, I do kendo once a week and judo once a week, sometimes cancelling my judo to do kendo again in that week.

Once a week, I try to squeeze in a kickboxing practice that is combination callisthenics and bag work.

I just started lifting, so I am trying to make sure I do that at least twice a week.

If it were convenient, I'd love to swim every day. There is a Y near my work but cash is an issue, you know?

If only working around the house counted as exercise! I also love baseball and racquet ball, hiking, and my wife and I dance a lot (swing).

wimp_lo
24th June 2003, 18:12
Weights Mon-Fri mornings. One muscle group per day.

Ab work M-W-F, Calves on T-TH

Cardio Mon-Fri after weights for 20-30 minutes at 75-80% of guesstimated max heart rate.

Aikido Mon & Wed evenings, Saturday mornings. Sometimes more.

Kimpatsu
25th June 2003, 01:18
Originally posted by Soulend
Yeah, I've been back for a little over a month or so.
Glad to see you came home safely. Did you actually see any Republican Guards, or had they all run away by the time you got there?

How rude of him!
I kid you not. An improv comedian called Aaron Barschak scaled the wall. (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/3018456.stm) Now that is newsworthy! :D

Daniel san
25th June 2003, 16:18
Hello,
I have been very busy lately. I am doing Tai-Chi twice a week and american boxing once a week. However, why is working around the house not considered a work out. It would be if it was made to be one. :rolleyes: Like in the Karate Kid. I find myself working around the house more often than not. Why not get the most out of it. New poll! New poll!:)

Kimpatsu
26th June 2003, 00:45
Originally posted by Daniel san
Like in the Karate Kid. I find myself working around the house more often than not.
Wax on, wax off...

gendzwil
26th June 2003, 02:15
Weight training - 2 times per week for 1 hour
Biking (summer) - 2-3 times per week for 30 minutes
Stairmaster (winter) - 2 times per week for 30 minutes
Kendo - 2 times per week for 2 hours

Also a little skateboarding in summer and snowboarding in winter.

Steve Williams
26th June 2003, 19:12
Yeah, I've been back for a little over a month or so. If you mean allow voters to check multiple options, i.e. both weightlifting and running...I did set it up like that. Perhaps our benevolent moderator edited that out too.:(

I didn't mod out that option..... :eek:

Or in the immortal word of bart simpson...
"I didn't do it, nobody saw me do it, you can't prove anything" ;) :p :D

I voted on the poll, and then it didn't let me vote again.....

So I added the other option.

Must be a "glitch".....

Sorry if it "messed up your poll", if you want to start another then please do, then I will delete this one.

Soulend
26th June 2003, 20:54
Ah that's OK Mr. Williams. Regardless of what the numbers say there have certainly been some interesting replies!

Um, to the best of my knowledge it isn't possible to vote multiple separate times in any poll. You can check multiple options and cast a single vote for all of them at once in this poll, or at least that's the way I set it up - and it worked when I cast my vote anyway, for running, weightlifting, and calisthenics.

Kimpatsu
27th June 2003, 00:34
Good morning, gentlemen.
I think it may be another computer error, as we seem to have several of them on this forum...