PDA

View Full Version : Gathering thoughts on Yukio Mishima for dissertation

rebelfilms
24th June 2003, 16:19
Hiya, c'est moi, back again with a whole new raft of college projects. My dissertation for example, which is going to be on how the worlds media reprsented/spoke about/reviewed etc etc topics relating to Yukio Mishima. After a Google trawl i have found a lot of biograpical articles, book reviews and some pictures, not much more - oh and the New York Times articles - and i have the Henry Scott Stokes book and the video Mishima:A Life In Four Chapters on order. Well i was just wondering what you guys have to say/ suggest/ rant about on the Mishima theme for my resarch.

Laura jury

Charlie Kondek
24th June 2003, 17:01
Hi, Laura. Do a search here. I'll post more later but I'll make a prediction: everyone here who knows about him thinks he's a loon!

Vapour
24th June 2003, 17:46
The Japanese opinion of him differ greatly from those outside. Quite large number of people thought he was an idiot/dumbarse albeit his genius in literature. After all that's how the soldier reacted to his speech.

hyaku
24th June 2003, 17:53
I wont rant about him but I am not to pleased with his kaishaku.

But seriously, a very good friend of mine was a leader in Mishima's Tate no Kai. When I asked him once how he had felt at the time Mishima died he said, he thinks he would have perhaps bettered his cause more by staying alive.

Hyakutake Colin

Kimpatsu
25th June 2003, 05:24
Read Mishima's novels to understand better his obsession with suicide or, more precisely, honourable death. "The Sailor Who Fell From Grace With The Sea" is a case in point.
Best,

rebelfilms
25th June 2003, 08:33
Hmm i am reading the novels, those that i can get my mitts on - theres a few at the University which i am hogging:cool:

Kimpatsu
25th June 2003, 08:44
Originally posted by rebelfilms
Hmm i am reading the novels, those that i can get my mitts on - theres a few at the University which i am hogging:cool:
Bibliohog. Try www.amazon.co.uk as well.

Vapour
25th June 2003, 14:03
Mishima was certainly obseessed with old samurai way of honour and death. However, it is interesting to note that quite large number of people who expressed the view that he was dumb/idiot came from people who served in WWII. Granted he *wrote* beautifully and he did train very hard in kendo, however, he never experienced real battle.

What he expressed as ideal in the book is just that, ideal. Now there is nothing wrong with people who sacrifice their life for what they believe in. However, by reading Mishima's novel, you just can't avoid the feeling that his ideal is too artificial. Beautifully written, I must admit. but there are big difference between someone who die in Nigeria as Human Right activist and someone who committ harakiri because....what? Japanese society being too decadant and corrupt? People not worshiping emperor as God?

For me, it was a sad case of roleplaying gone too far. And unsuprisingly, Japan has the largest number of people who held this view on Mishima.

Charlie Kondek
25th June 2003, 14:09
Hajime expresses my thoughts as well. I have read little Mishima because I think that while he was a very good writer, his style is not too my liking. Too florid, too tangental, too long (just my opinion). I thought Paul Schrader's movie about him was great.

That said, I do think it'd be an interesting subject for a dissertation! Are you looking for a martial arts enthusiast's feelings toward him and his work?

seskoad
25th June 2003, 14:58
I rent the movie about him, really don't understand.

Walker
25th June 2003, 16:46
It would be useful to read his “Sun and Steel” essays and his partial translation and comment on the Hagakure called “Way of the Samurai,“ I think.

Also there is a short film he wrote directed and starred in (of course). It is black and white 30 min shot in the 60s. Yukuko - the Rite of Love. Same themes as always, but less homoerotic. Perhaps adapted for a wider audience.

Live fast, die young, leave a freshly perfumed and rouged corpse. :rolleyes: