PDA

View Full Version : What to take or do for stronger joints or bones?

Jody Holeton
25th June 2003, 06:04
Dear all,

As a judo player I am a bit worried about accumulated stress injuries...

Any advice for knees, hips, ankles etc?

A. M. Jauregui
25th June 2003, 06:25
Chondroitin or Glucosamine/MSM and some calcium is what I take with the other daily vitamins.

I try not to over do shikko and other hard on the knees training.

Shitoryu Dude
25th June 2003, 06:36
Dairy calcium is always good - yogurt is a winner of a supplement. As always, take a glucosamine supplement every day for good joint health.

:beer:

MarieB
25th June 2003, 07:50
i found a couple of relevant links...

http://www.e-budo.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5466&highlight=ankles+knees

http://www.e-budo.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=13669&highlight=ankles+and+joints

Kimpatsu
25th June 2003, 08:59
Drink milk?:beer:

Margaret Lo
25th June 2003, 17:16
Originally posted by Shitoryu Dude
As always, take a glucosamine supplement every day for good joint health.

:beer:

Before pill supplements, its best to look to food. In modern western diets, meats are always muscle meat: steaks, chicken breast. In a lot of older European and Asian cuisines, people eat tendon cooked til soft, gristly bits of meat too in stews.

I can't help but think that if joints are at risk of overuse, it would be good to eat tendon, and other cartiliginous parts to give yourself raw materials for replacement. So I try to remember to eat some of these things, and swallow small joints etc... too.

M

Charlie Kondek
25th June 2003, 17:53
Beatings.

Daily beatings with a stick. Then, with a large iron wheel around your neck, push the grindstone unceasingly...

Wait, what now?

:p

hyaku
26th June 2003, 00:44
I started drinking that Glico calcium milk some time ago mainly as I like the taste. Looking at the results of my main blood test last year calcium has rocketed.

Hyakutake Colin

wendy ongaro
26th June 2003, 01:42
joint and bone health...

studies are coming in that support glucosamine as not only helpful with joint pain, but may also help the body restore the joint space. since the nutraceutical market is unregulated in the US, I always tell my patient's to look for the USP stamp on the bottle...it isn't the best regulating/scrutinizing body, but at least it is one to look for, and may help certify that what you buy really is what you buy.

avoid soda pop. carbonated drinks are high in phosphorus, which impairs calcium replacement in bones, and may actually promote calcium removal from bones

stay well hydrated and maintain your musculature to provide further support to your joints. Finally, make sure that your form is good ( meaning it does not stress your joints in their natural motion) and consider martial arts shoes with footbeds if you have knee or ankle problems. footbeds are an orthotic that can be found in sports shops that specialize in runners. they correct pronation/supination of the foot which can apply a great deal of stress to the ankle, knee, hip, and back. hope this helps. happy training. :cool:

Qasim
26th June 2003, 02:04
Originally posted by Margaret Lo
I can't help but think that if joints are at risk of overuse, it would be good to eat tendon, and other cartiliginous parts to give yourself raw materials for replacement. So I try to remember to eat some of these things, and swallow small joints etc... too.
M

I really don't think that will work.

Margaret Lo
26th June 2003, 21:55
Why not?

CEB
27th June 2003, 04:06
Tuna Taco

cybermaai
27th June 2003, 13:57
I was told by a fellow budoka that eating meat gives the body too much protein, the excess of which is stored in the joints and therefore impairs flexibility. I'm not sure if this is true, but I am a vegetarian and am pretty limber...

Jim_Jude
1st July 2003, 05:37
Originally posted by cybermaai
I was told by a fellow budoka that eating meat gives the body too much protein, the excess of which is stored in the joints and therefore impairs flexibility. I'm not sure if this is true, but I am a vegetarian and am pretty limber...

All the nitrates & salts & crap from meat crystalizes in your joints & grinds up your cartilage. Steer clear. Unless you just don't care, of course...

Qasim
1st July 2003, 16:45
Originally posted by Jim_Jude

All the nitrates & salts & crap from meat crystalizes in your joints & grinds up your cartilage. Steer clear. Unless you just don't care, of course...

I think that only applies to "Processed" meats not to fresh butchered. Of course you do need to have salt or you will die. You just don't want to have too much salt.

Jdalton51
4th July 2003, 17:53

This is true to some extent. Your body must maintain a certain ph level - when you eat an excessive amount of protein, which consists of mainly ammino acids, your body must release a base to maintain your ph level- that base is calcium and it comes from your bone reserves first.

This is true with any acidic food - including sodas. The opposite is also true - if you increase your base intake your body will release an acid to maintain the balance.

If you do go with a calcium supp. don't forget to take something with vitamin k in it. vitamin k helps your body absorb the calcium.

If anyone wants the references, just pm me

illusions117
5th July 2003, 10:52
I would recommend Knox Nutrijoint. I am a frequent runner and weight lifter in addition to my martial arts practice and Nutrijoint works great for me. It's just a unflavored joint supplement powder you can mix with any drink. I'm sure you can aquire it at a common drug store or perhaps online. I would also recommend what has previously been mentioned such as staying away from the carbonation and taking a calcium supplement for general bone health.

wendy ongaro
5th July 2003, 15:12
yes, personally I am convinced that soda pop is the devil.

it is high both in acid (put a chicken bone in a cup of Coca Cola for a week and watch what happens), and phosphorous which also tips the physical processes for bone formation into 'remove calcium' mode.

It is also interesting- asian women and white american women are most at risk for osteoporosis of all races as they are small boned with lower beginning bone density. Yet, American women consume tons and tons of calcium in the form of supplements and milk, while most Asian women on traditional diets consume much less (because those diets do not include cow's milk). Yet American women have higher rates of osteoporosis than Asian women, as do Asian women who come to the US and eat an american diet-

These may be factors that are influencing this difference:

1. sedentary lifestyles of americans
2. diet higher in meat protein in US
3. diet lower in vegetables and vegetable protein in US, especially soy
4. consumption of soda pop

I already eats tons of veggies, I am anything but sedentary.

I like meat- especially game, so I gave up soda pop to balance the difference.

:D

Seriously, now that Pepsi and Coke are going for the Asian markets, it will be interesting to see what happens to Asian rates of osteoporosis in the next 20-30 years as soda consumption increases.

mach5_kel
13th August 2003, 02:37
If you choose to use Glucosamine or MSM, dont forget to add the vitamin E and Flax seed oil. Always important :) Also, if you are having any joint inflammation, you may want to look into an anti-inflammitory diet as well.

If there is some specific damage or go through an extreamly rough training day you could try the following forumla

It's called BF&C (Bone, Flesh and Cartilage) for Broken
Bones, Torn Cartilage, and Bruises ETC.

6 parts Comfrey Root
6 parts Oak Bark
3 parts Gravel Root
3 parts Mullein
1 part Lobelia
2 parts Wormwood
3 parts Marshmallow Root
1 parts Skullcap
2 parts Walnut Bark

Comfrey is illegal in some countrys, but not Canada or the USA, so be forewarned (but so are shuriken and nunchuk in most states???!) Its all in how you use it.

Good luck,
Eric Vander Wal