PDA

View Full Version : Ian Bottomley, Cheng Zongyou

claughrun
26th June 2003, 02:54
Hello everyone.
I’m cleaning out my library, trying to weed out duplicates and items I don’t need anymore.
I was wondering if anyone would be interested in the following:

Ian Bottomley’s out-of-print Arms and Armor of the Samurai. It’s in very good condition: pages, cover, binding. In fact the only thing wrong with it is a slight tear in the otherwise good-condition dust jacket.

A photocopy of Cheng Zongyou’s classics Core Methods of the Crossbow and Selected Methods of the Spear. Originally published in 1621, I made (too many) copies of a beautiful 1930 reprint (now in the public domain). These are methods Cheng recommended the Ming Army use against Japanese pirates. Both are in Chinese, of course, but with numerous illustrations (Crossbow even details booby traps!).

More things will be offered as I make more painful decisions. And if you’re looking for anything in particular, especially pre-modern Chinese and Japanese texts, let me know. I might have it.

Send me a PM if you’re interested or have any questions. If you live in the continental U.S., I’ll even pony up the postage.

claughrun
29th June 2003, 00:33
Hello again. In response to a few requests, here are some sample images from Cheng Zongyou's (’ö?@—Q, a.k.a. Cheng Chongdou ’ö‰«“l) Core Methods of the Crossbow (çK’£?S–@) and Selected Methods of the Long Spear (’·‘™–@‘I). They might turn out a little "giffy" on the screen; the originals are smooth, clear copies.

C:\WINNT\Profiles\claughrun\Desktop\crossbow1.gif

C:\WINNT\Profiles\claughrun\Desktop\crossbow2.gif

C:\WINNT\Profiles\claughrun\Desktop\spear.gif