PDA

View Full Version : Bush Plan May Cut Overtime for Millions

elder999
26th June 2003, 19:22
By LEIGH STROPE, AP Labor Writer

WASHINGTON - More than 8 million professionals would lose their overtime pay under a Bush administration proposal to change the types of jobs that must receive more money for extra work, says a study by a union-supported think tank.

The analysis being released Thursday by the Economic Policy Institute is among the first to assess how many workers might be affected by the Labor Department's revisions to the overtime rules, which were proposed in March.

Businesses and labor unions agree that the current Fair Labor Standards Act regulations are confusing and antiquated. But they disagree about how to update them.

The Labor Department estimated that under its proposal, at least 644,000 well-paid, white-collar workers would lose overtime pay for working more than 40 hours a week, while 1.3 million lower-wage workers now exempt from overtime would become eligible, or must receive a raise.

Overall, nearly 22 million workers could be affected, though specific jobs and their status could not be determined, officials said.

But the institute says the department "woefully underestimates" the changes that would occur if the proposal is implemented.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20030625/ap_on_re_us/overtime_pay_4

The taxman giveth, the President taketh away....:rolleyes:

Gene Williams
26th June 2003, 19:30
If they want more pay, they need to give up the 9-5 BS and become entrepeneurs and small business owners who work quite long hours, do not get overtime pay, have to deal with the idiots that work the 9-5 jobs, as well as the IRS. The blue-collar folks SHOULD get overtime pay, plus have less withheld from their paychecks. I don't know where Bush is headed with this...looks like he took a page from the Democrats' playbook. Aaron, if I ultimately find myself agreeing with you about Bush, I ain't gonna' like it:(

Shitoryu Dude
26th June 2003, 20:47
I find this whole thing stinks to high heaven. I'm on salary now, but up until a few years back I was a wage-slave and overtime pay made ends meet. I get really pissed off when I read about somebody who is screwing his employees out of overtime - THEY EARNED THAT MONEY!!!!

Bush must have some retarded idea that this will stimulate the economy, but he had better figure out that in a hurry that he is losing the votes of every single person out there who has worked hard for a dollar.

:beer:

Aozora
26th June 2003, 21:37
I'm not at work because I'm a philanthropist, nor am I driven by some idiotic idea that one should work for work's sake (who the hell comes up with that stuff). I work to eat and pay martial art bills and not necessarily in that order. That isn't to say I'm lazy, I do beleive in working hard for what you want. But it's not our "place" to work like some type-A personalities believe and you damn well bet I want recompense for my time.

Gene, as far as Bush goes, it's as plain as the nose on your face: he's caving in to big business special interest groups who don't want to shell out extra money while making their employees work extra so the fat cats at the top can get new flat screens for their yachts. If you think you'll be mad agreeing with Aaron on this issue, you're going to go postal when you realize that this ex-cocaine snorting, silver spoon rich boy has less in common with his rabid blue collar supporters than most SanFran tree huggers. He is most certainly NOT interested in elevating their positions in life. He wants you to watch your TV-friendly wars, STFU and increase productivity and profit margins.

When are people going to realize this witless moron is unfit to lead his daddy's companies, much less the United States?

A. M. Jauregui
26th June 2003, 23:30
I really wish that Bush would leave economics to the economists...

I can not really say more then that for I have always been a salaried employee and am not an economist. But I do remember some inverse relationship between entry worker overtime and ability to enter such as job. *Don't quote me*

wendy ongaro
26th June 2003, 23:50
No. He's starting on his plan to undermine and bust the federal employees union - remember the little move he made on the longshore men? He is pro-capitalism 100%, particularly big business. government jobs and employees interfere with his ability to give big contracts to big companies for government work. AFGE (the union) poses a large obstacle to that plan. This is his first move to start breaking it down. the union folks have been expecting this for some time.

Tamdhu
27th June 2003, 00:03
Call your local union official!

Beat senseless anyone who disagrees!

Set fire to a hedge!

Shut off public utilities until the government pays for your overtime!

Block the highways!

Throw rocks at stuff!

Eat KrispyKreme doughnuts -- and don't pay!

elder999
27th June 2003, 00:38
Originally posted by Tamdhu
Call your local union official!

Beat senseless anyone who disagrees!

Set fire to a hedge!

Shut off public utilities until the government pays for your overtime!

Block the highways!

Throw rocks at stuff!

Eat KrispyKreme doughnuts -- and don't pay!

Read the revision here!http://www.dol.gov/_sec/media/speeches/541Handout.htm

Make comments before Monday!

Call your Representative and Senators!

Exercise your rights as an American!

'course I guess this doesn't matter TOO much if you work at Burger King, John-hell, it means extra money for your KrispyKreme doughnuts...;)

koma
28th June 2003, 10:49
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Aozora
[B]
"Gene, as far as Bush goes, it's as plain as the nose on your face: he's caving in to big business special interest groups who don't want to shell out extra money while making their employees work extra so the fat cats at the top can get new flat screens for their yachts."

I disagree that he's caving in, he's walking hand in hand with them just as his daddy taught him to.

"When are people going to realize this witless moron is unfit to lead his daddy's companies, much less the United States?"

I do agree with this statement! :D