PDA

View Full Version : Questions about Ranking?

jatslap
27th June 2003, 14:41
;) With all the newly founded Sokes, Renshis, Sanshis, Dashis etc, running around. I've decided to start a new ranking system up. However instead of being based on supposed martial prowess, or how well you can look like a B grade kung fu movie character. This ranking structure instead will be based on beer intake. After all dosen't nothing go better than beer and budo? So with that said how many beers or years spent beer drinking, do you think it would take to be qualified for the following ranks:

1st brewdan: 3 years or 3 beers per night?

2nd brewdan: 5 years? or 5 beers at a setting?

3rd brewdan: ?

All the way to Master brewdan, then Grandmaster brewdan.

Instead of intake maybe the qualifications should be based on the quality of beer one drinks? But, that could lead to some very disturbing arguments about style, system, country, and national pride.

John Atslap

3rd dan Beer Do ryu

Phil Farmer
27th June 2003, 15:05
Hey John,

If I brew my own beer doesn't that make me a Soke?! Hurry please, I have always wanted to be a Soke. I think my ryu is Good Brew Ryu, yeah that's it Soke of Good Brew Ryu. When can I expect my certificate?

Meister Phil Farmer
Soke
Good Brew Ryu

Shitoryu Dude
27th June 2003, 17:18
First, your brew must be judged by other Brew ryu masters. Please ship two cases to me in Seattle so I can determine the merits of your Brew ryu.

:beer:

Phil Farmer
27th June 2003, 18:10
Two cases Harvey? Damn you are thorough. What if I just send you a few bucks to buy some local brew and we call it even. Works when you want to join most of the other martial arts groups I hear about.

Phil Farmer

Shitoryu Dude
27th June 2003, 19:23
Old school only on my end - I don't certify Juko Kai.

Besides, as a quality engineer I know that you need a sufficiently large sample size to draw statistical conclusions from. :D

Kimpatsu
30th June 2003, 09:16
Originally posted by Shitoryu Dude
Besides, as a quality engineer I know that you need a sufficiently large sample size to draw statistical conclusions from. :D
ROFL! :laugh:
Of course, for proper analysis, you need a second opinion, so you'd better send me some crates of beer as well... :beer: :beer: :toast:

monkeyboy_ssj
30th June 2003, 09:35
My 'brew ryu' is probably the full contact version, Drinking LOTS of Guiness per night.

I do believe that some of the ranking tests will be this Thursday Night for the London Curry meet ^_^

Usually involves doing Atemi on yourself...

Phil Farmer
30th June 2003, 19:00
Tony, Harvey, you guys are obviously in it just for the beer. What about tradition, honor, certificates? Doesn't good ole boy sokeship mean anything to you guys?

BTW I appologize for not making the juko kai remark, I wanted to but was trying to be polite, or was I just trying to keep from being sued?

Phil Farmer

Shitoryu Dude
30th June 2003, 19:06
I'm only if for good beer :D

Margaret Lo
30th June 2003, 19:14
What about vodka drinkers! I have 4 russians in my dojo, the lightest of whom at 115 lbs could put you all under the table.

Beer.. bagh!

M

Shitoryu Dude
30th June 2003, 19:27
Unlike Russians, we are all not a pack of alcoholics. You must be only familiar with the swill that passes for beer to the masses.

Those of us who have learned what real beer is despise the like of Budweiser, Miller, Coors, Pabst, and whatever other dogpiss comes mass-marketed to the yokels.

Margaret Lo
30th June 2003, 20:37
Actually I was speaking for the russians I know who don't like beer. I lived in Boston during the micro brew resurgence so favs are:

Sam Adams even though its brewed in PA not Boston
Yuengling Black & Tan
Newcastle Brown Ale
Harps
Local Boston brews
Magic Hat No. 9

I also like the wheat beers and the lambics. Sam Adams use to make a nice tart cranberry lambic.

Heck the russians aren't any more alcoholic than the English or Irish, or Japanese & Koreans? Heck don't the french beat everybody?

M

Shitoryu Dude
30th June 2003, 20:48
I'm not sure about the french. The wine they don't export isn't exactly known for quality control and has been known to be cut with various substances over the years. Just because you are hallucinating due to drinking radiator fluid and a bad merlot doesn't make you an alcoholic. :D

The poor Russians have never had a decent beer in their life, so I guess me can't blame them too much for their tastes in cheap vodka and cheaper beer. All the Russians I know chug down Bud Light and some of the nastiest rotgut vodka in the world. Their grocery shopping also seemed to consist almost entirely of spuds, onions, veg. oil, pepper, ketchup, and booze.

Margaret Lo
30th June 2003, 21:44
Dude, I feel bad for you that your russian pals haven't introduced you to the better stuff. Could it be they've been holding out on you?I've made it my mission in life to schmooz up to every ethnic group I come across to get at the good stuff kept hidden from outsiders.

For a really smooooth vodka try Stoli Gold or Belvedere. In NYC there's a russian bar at 281 Lafayette St, just south of Houston called Pravda. They make their own infusions of vodka flavored with chili/horseradish, black currant and so on. The drinks are fine and the food is really really good. Helps that the cook is actually a Chinese guy... but the food's authentic and the vodka is smooth as a baby's bottom.

I thought the French actually were so strict in their wine production regs that they don't allow tampering to improve consistency which is why american & aussie wines have been making headway.

M

StanLee
1st July 2003, 08:22
Have you all forgotten the good ol' British ale and stout?

Stan

Shitoryu Dude
1st July 2003, 14:36
French wine for export is certainly controlled to the point that refinement of technique and experimentation are no longer seen, which may be why so many of their master winemakers seem so eager to leave France and take employment just about anyplace that has promise.

Every now and then you run across a news article about some village in France where the local vinter has cutting his yearly production with something or never bothered to check the quality of the water. French wines run the gamut of total crap to almost as good as the best American wines that cost 1/3 as much. Of course, you could always just hop the borders into Germany, Italy and Spain and get better stuff (on average) for less money and certainly less attitude.