PDA

View Full Version : Speaking with little practical understanding on Go Ju Ryu

RunDuck&Hide
30th June 2003, 01:47
Hello all,

About a year ago I was, how's this said politly, unfortunetly exposed to a rather shady dojo, i.e. A black belt in 18 months. The Go Ju Renshi ran the dojo well enough but, some of his teachings were not the best. I didn't seem to get much from 7 months training with Renshi so I decided to leave. I haven't seen since, nor before Go Ju Ryu Karate. I understand that it's the Hard and Soft style and that in the right hands is probably a great martial art. Is there a web page dedicated to Go Ju Ryu that has video and other such ensightful materials to download. I know that it was the teacher not the martial art that was poor, I know study Aikido, but want to investigate what I almost studied.

There was only 7 dojo of different Martial Arts where I was living last year....

sepai 85
30th June 2003, 13:37
Where abouts do you live ?

yours in shugyo

stencil
30th June 2003, 17:25
Check out "Okinawan Goju Ryu" by Seikichi Toguchi, Ohara Publisher. It's a pretty straight-up description with clear photos and what-not.

There are a couple good Morio Higaonna Tsuami videos as well. There don't seem to be many videos online for Goju.

Most importantly, though, get to a good dojo to really understand.

RunDuck&Hide
30th June 2003, 23:11
I'm in Brisbane so I'll have a look.

Thanks.