PDA

View Full Version : 2 times the JET jobs next year?

Jody Holeton
30th June 2003, 08:03
Dear all,

I am in the Earlham program (draft dodgers rejoice) but I have heard from some of my friends that the Japan will DOUBLE its ALT use!!

Soooo any of you MAs looking for time in Japan, get paid for it, can do the JET program.

I don't recommend Japan right now (bad economy, bad experiences, etc.) BUT if you have the connections and the love of you art, it is doable!!

Anybody else heard of this news?

Rennis
1st July 2003, 02:16
I haven't heard this news in particular, but it wouldn't surprise me if it was the case seeing how earlier this year a large percentage of the Japanese school systems' English teachers up and quit due to the fact that they could make a much better salary at an eikaiwa than teaching for the government. Doubling the JET opening would probably be a good way to fill in the gap that whole chain of events created.

Best,
Rennis

Jody Holeton
1st July 2003, 03:05
Dear Rennis,

I am breaking my contract early and going HOME. More money at eikaiwas? Really? The stuff I have seen has most jobs offering the same-old-same-old! Except as an ALT you get 9-5 and can train.

Most of the Eikaiwa jobs just burn out the teachers. They want you young and dumb (preferably good looking), burn you up and send you home after a short time and make MEGA $$$$$ off of you.

I say come to Japan for MA but dont expect the money and dont expect it to be easy for foreigners over here. It is expensive, Japanese people can be VERY rude and you are expected to stay short-term.

Does anyone ever wonder why the JET program has such a high burnout rate? 50-60%?

BTW Bob Sapp often feels like a giant action figure. As long as he hams it up and has the pop look he will get business. He makes more money off of advertisements than fighting. Think about that. They dont want English teachers here, they want entertainers.

Rennis
1st July 2003, 04:07
Originally posted by Jody Holeton

I am breaking my contract early and going HOME. More money at eikaiwas? Really? The stuff I have seen has most jobs offering the same-old-same-old! Except as an ALT you get 9-5 and can train.

I say come to Japan for MA but dont expect the money and dont expect it to be easy for foreigners over here. It is expensive, Japanese people can be VERY rude and you are expected to stay short-term.

Does anyone ever wonder why the JET program has such a high burnout rate? 50-60%?

The exodus of teachers I was refering to was of Japanese teachers, not of the foreign born ALT types. As for it not being easy in Japan, etc. I think a great part of that is really pure luck in your placement. I've been noticing a trend among the people I know that the closer you get toward the big cities, the worse people's experiences have been in general. Going from visits in Kyoto and Tokyo back to Akita was always weird for me because all the ALTs and eikaiwa teachers I know in Kyoto, etc were also complaining about their jobs, while most of the ones in Akita were commenting on how the enjoyed their jobs. Of course it also depends on the person too, but I think location can play a big role in one's experience as well. But what do I know?

Best,

Rennis Buchner (who's looking for a job outside of the English teaching business, but will probably have to settle for that for the time being....)

renfield_kuroda
1st July 2003, 08:19
I was a JET for 2.5 years, 94-96. Best way to come to Japan: excellent pay (300,000 yen a month, plus gov't paid half my taxes and insurance AND gave me an apartment for free), worked from 8:30 - 4:30, no more, often less, and trained regularly. I was in Narita, Chiba for 2 years, then did half a year as a CIR in Chiba City before quitting early for a real job. And I'm still here.
I agree it's a much better situation in general than eikaiwa, but either way the job is pretty lame, even (especially?) if you're interested in teaching English. But like I said it's excellent pay for little work -- tough to get such a good deal in the private sector.
Regarding turnover, the JET program is designed for high turnover. That's why you can't renew forever, there's no raise, there's no seniority.

I reccommend the JET Program to anyone who wants to come to Japan, but you have to have realistic expectations. In 1995 the program had over 3000 thousand participants, and the quality of participants was dropping rapidly because the number of applicants didn't increase with the increase in job openings. By now it's doubled again, and I'm sure the average calibre of the typical JET is far below what it was before...then again that means most have a better chance of getting accepted, and since the 'job' is basically irrelevant, who cares?

Regards,
r e n

Desmond
1st July 2003, 16:52
Hi gang,
I was at AEON for 3 great years and NOVA for another good year. I agree that your location makes a big difference. I lived in Okayama for the whole time and traveled from there. I also managed to train three times a week. The private schools are not the kush gig the Jets have but still not bad. Being with a top notch school helps. Better books and programs and no worries about being ripped off by the manager or owner. Stay away from the small 2 or 3 person school run by some guy who is trying to make extra scrach. If you are ripped off there is very little recourse for the gijin.

If I went back, and I'm thinking of it, I would go back to AEON, or NOVA for the job security and because I know their programs. Although I liked to visit Kyoto so maybe I would just show up and throw the dice and see what I land.

Good luck

Desmond