PDA

View Full Version : video research

Ron Tisdale
1st July 2003, 16:27
Greetings all,

I was recently given a video tape of a japanese tv program that featured a gentleman with a **really** bushy mustache doing iaido and two man sword kata and footage from Ueshiba Sensei's Budo (as well as some other footage I believe). In the program, there are a few kata demonstated (kumi tachi no jo, I believe), where a pretty remarkable man is using the the jo. Is anyone familiar with my description of this tv show? Can anyone tell me:

Where does the additional footage on Ueshiba Sensei come from

Who is the Bushy Mustached Swordsman (TM)

Who is the man wielding the jo?

My japanese is non-existent (except for a few badly pronounced budo words) so I couldn't figure out even the name of the show...

Thanks,
Ron Tisdale

Meik Skoss
1st July 2003, 16:55
Ron,

I'll dig out my copy and take a look at it. I believe the title of that film is "Showa no Kensei" ('Sword Saints' of the Showa Period). It is a compilation of some of the more well respected budoka of the early Showa period. The guy with the mustache is one Nakayama Hakudo (Hiromichi), the fellow who pretty much re-introduced iai to modern Japan. The guy with the jo is probably Shimizu Takaji, my first teacher, but I'll have to view the footage again to check if I'm right or not.

If it's the film I'm thinking of, there's also a bit of Katori Shinto-ryu (with Hayashi Y-something or other, Otake Risuke's teacher) and a bit of Jikishinkage-ryu with Sonobes Hideo and Shigehachi.

Contact me privately in a couple of days and I should have more information for you.

Hope this helps.

Jack B
1st July 2003, 17:52
I'd love to see a copy of that. Does anyone know if or where the video might be obtained?

Ron Tisdale
1st July 2003, 18:25
Thanks! I'll drop an email after the holiday...any info greatly appreciated. I really liked the way Shimizu Takaji (?) controled the wrists and elbows of the swordsman. Yoshinkan has a kata that is jo vs tanto where some similar movements are used (basically a first control throwing movement against the tanto shomen attack) but it makes much more sense in relation to sword (to me anyway). I can't really see attacking a person holding a jo with a tanto. Of course, we do "hide" the jo behind our body to draw the attack...

There are some really sweet inside strikes with the jo in that clip...If that is classic jodo, I gotta get me some of that...

Ron Tisdale

Ron Tisdale
1st July 2003, 18:29
I got it mixed in with some stuff from the Aikido Kenkyukai group from a friend. I believe he or a friend taped it while in Japan. I don't know if its "publicly" available. Sorry...

RT

O'Neill
1st July 2003, 19:42
The footage of Ueshiba is most likely of daito ryu, right? That would be something to see. What date was the demo performed?

Ron Tisdale
1st July 2003, 19:53
http://65.119.177.242/catalog/productdetails.php?code=mv01&PHPSESSID=8aad038796b9de28b7205d0583083266

I believe most if not all of the footage of Ueshiba is from that...

Ron

fogarty
8th July 2003, 13:07
Originally posted by Ron Tisdale
I can't really see attacking a person holding a jo with a tanto. Of course, we do "hide" the jo behind our body to draw the attack...

The same thing happens in hissage (or hikisage) from the Omote (surface-level set) of SMR, as does a movement superficially resembling the first control, but definitely not intended as a throwing movement as I understand it. A sho(u)to(u) is used instead of a tanto(u), but that just means it's a bit longer with a guard. It's one of the first forms taught to beginners, traditionally.

What little I've seen of Yo(u)shinkan Aikido(u) walking stick technique also bears a certain surface-level similarity to SMR; much more than the older aiki-weapons techniques. Does anyone share this observation, or am I full of it?

ƒtƒHƒK?[ƒeƒBãÄ

Ron Tisdale
8th July 2003, 14:28
I believe I see the same similarity, but I don't know enough about SMR to be sure. I do know that many of the senior Yosh guys studied some amount of koryu. Meik Skoss is in a better position to comment than I; I believe he has seen a fair amount of the jo curriculum at the yosh. I will say that there is not near enough focus on the jo curriculum in my training. The focus is on empty hand with the buki waza more secondary. I really wish I could focus more on the jo in particular...maybe when I get better without it... :)
RT

szczepan
8th July 2003, 19:33
It is really nice tape, Ron.

Ron Tisdale
8th July 2003, 20:35
Hi Szczepan, do you have the material with Takeda Sensei, or just the tv program?

Ron

Ron Tisdale
29th September 2003, 20:20
Hi folks...the video I asked about is available on the web...

dSPD-8605 Tatsujin no Hijutsu to Kensei no Kokoro
$49.95
Newly released, this video contains approximately 15 minutes of rare footage of Nakayama Hakudo, the father of Muso Shinden Ryu, and 15 minutes of Aikido founder Ueshiba Morihei. The footage of Nakayama Sensei is mostly from the pre-war period and includes him doing tameshigiri, Shinto Muso Ryu jojutsu (tachi side), various shoden and chuden kata, and demonstrating the Kendo No Kata before the Japanese Emperor in 1940 with 10th dan Takano Sasaburo. The footage of Ueshiba Sensei includes the Asahi dojo film, some footage from his own dojo, and some from his final demonstration at the age of 86.
32 minutes. All Region NTSC DVD. Japanese language.

You can go here to get it:

http://budogu.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/page46.html

Best Regards,
Ron

Brian Owens
30th September 2003, 07:12
This looks like a must-have video for me. One of my teachers was O-sensei's last uchideshi, so if this has O-sensei's last demo in it, it may have footage of my teacher as a young man.

I'm also anxious to see the footage of Nakayama Hakudo.