PDA

View Full Version : Happy Birthday Canada!

icynorth
1st July 2003, 17:39
I would like to extend a HCD wish to my bretherin across Canada. Without a doubt the greatest counrty to live in, we should be proud!!!

Happy 136th

Daishi
1st July 2003, 19:13
Happy Birthday to you....
Happy Birthday to you......

Dale Heisler

elder999
1st July 2003, 19:19
Fifty four forty or fight!

Shitoryu Dude
1st July 2003, 19:40
Now if they would just stop using our music and changing the words......;)

:beer:

GreySilk
2nd July 2003, 00:07
Woot...Canada.

CKohalyk
2nd July 2003, 01:06
"Proud to be Canadian,
Pass me another beer!"

Happy 136 to all my Canux across the world!

:toast:

Kimpatsu
2nd July 2003, 05:39
Originally posted by elder999
Fifty four forty or fight!
For the sophisticated Europeans among us, would you please explain the meaning of this New World phrase? ;)

CKohalyk
2nd July 2003, 06:26
You'll notice Tony, that it was an American who posted that.

In 1818, the United States and United Kingdom (controlling British North America, ie Canada) established a joint claim over the Oregon Territory - the region west of the Rocky Mountains and between 42?‹ North and 54?‹40' North (the southern boundary of Russia's Alaska territory).

http://geography.about.com/library/graphics/5440map.jpg
(source) (http://geography.about.com/library/weekly/aa031600a.htm)

Joint control worked for over a decade and a half but ultimately, the parties decided that joint occupancy wasn't working well so they set about to divide Oregon.

The 1844 Democratic presidential candidate James K. Polk ran on a platform of taking control over the entire Oregon Territory and used the famous campaign slogan, "Fifty-four Forty or Fight!" (after the line of latitude serving as the northern boundary of Oregon at 54?‹40'). Polk's plan was to claim and go to war over the entire territory for the United States. (I guess they hadn't had enough in 1812)

Anyways it was all cleared up after the inauguration with the Treaty of Oregon, which established the border at the 49th where it lies today.

Furthermore, and this may make Aaron smile, there is a seperatist movement in BC to split from Canada and join the US, although it is a small minority. I have heard of one in AB too but that was about third hand info (anybody else know?)

That's it for now.

CK

Kimpatsu
2nd July 2003, 07:12
Thank you, Charlie! Woo Woo! War with the US over Oregon? Nah: Britain lays claim to all of North America, from north of the Arctic Circle to Mexico! Pay your taxes to King George, you rebel scum! :D
Reclaim what's ours! Retake the colonies! :shot:

Iain
2nd July 2003, 08:21
I love living in Calgary during July. Free Canada Day breakfasts followed by a week of free Stampede Breakfasts... mmm... so much Sausage.

Go Canada!

Moko
2nd July 2003, 22:08
Rocks. Best country in the world. I'll bet more people sew Canada patches on their rucksacks than any other country.

I was in 'Merica last weekend... They have never heard of the Molsen Canadian Rant. Poor benightened peoples.

"The beaver is a Proud and Noble animal".