PDA

View Full Version : 1963 Armed Forces Training Camp Photo

MarkF
1st July 2003, 20:42
How many do you recognize?

MarkF
1st July 2003, 20:43
I noticed a few of the younger ones in this picture, but sorry for the resolution, I had to shrink it to attach.

Mark

Starkjudo
1st July 2003, 21:03
can you link a larger picture somewhere else? I'd like to see it where I can get more detail from the faces.

Rob Thornton

MarkF
1st July 2003, 22:17
I tried, the resolution made it too heavy. I could trim it some, I suppose.

Mark

MarkF
1st July 2003, 23:15
This is the best I could do. This the same photo originally more than 7000 Kb, and more than 800 x 600 and 200 pixels. I had to get the resolution down to 60 pixels and below 800 x 600. This was as close as I could get to that and post it. The smaller picture is much clearer. Jerry Hays was trying to post it, and I said I've give it a go. I'm not that great at editing, but if I had a web site (now there's a thought), I wouldn't have to worry as much about size to post an IMG URL.

MarkF
2nd July 2003, 09:07
Still working on getting a larger image posted. IOW, under construction. Watch for falling rocks.

Mark

Meik Skoss
2nd July 2003, 11:06
Don Buck (back row, second from left), Mel Augustine (back row, third from left). Ernie Cates was probably there, but I don't know what he looks like. If he wasn't there, he should have been. Was Tosh Seino in the service at that time? I think he's in the first row but I can't tell for sure.

There are a couple of others whose faces I recognize, but whose names I can't recall.

DustyMars
2nd July 2003, 11:11
Yo Mark, the photograph is backwards! Flip it around so yuz can read that Japanese correctly :).

George Harris (back row, 3rd from left), Tosh Seino (middle row, 8th from left), Jerry Hays (back row, 11th from left), Shinohara (back row, 13th from left), maybe Ace Sukigari last in back row but can’t remember too good, maybe Lenwood (“Big Sam”) Williams (first row 3rd from left), possibly Roby Reed (middle row, 11th from left) and several other faces I am familiar but can't recall their names now.

I now see Mel Augustine and Cates!

RHH
2nd July 2003, 13:29
Hello fellow judokas,

The placement of the flags indicates the picture is correct.

A couple of identification - top row, 2nd from left, Jack Coons; bottow row, 2nd from right, Willie Jones.

Jerry Hays
Santee, CA

DustyMars
2nd July 2003, 14:57
Originally posted by RHH
Hello fellow judokas,

The placement of the flags indicates the picture is correct.

A couple of identification - top row, 2nd from left, Jack Coons; bottow row, 2nd from right, Willie Jones.

Jerry Hays
Santee, CA

Jerry, I was talking aobut Mark's second image, he must have flipped it around backwards :) Look up a few messages. I thinght I was seeing things!

RHH
2nd July 2003, 15:07
Jeff,

You are correct. I did not realize that Mark flipped the picture on the second post.

Jerry Hays

MarkF
3rd July 2003, 08:37
Guys,
Thanks for the heads up, but I was wondering if I did too, but by the profile of Kano, he always did take a better profile on his right.

I had to turn it so many times (over rotating) that I certainly did probably do that, but I have another Jerry sent that is the right weight, but it has to be under 800 X 600. It used to just leave a link when it was over-sized, and I would have been happy with that. Meik, your within a few years of me so I congratulate you for picking up the people I missed, glasses or no glasses (I saw a number I'd known in the past but couldn't think of names).

And Jeff, well, what can I say? The old man still has it.

I'll try shrinking the other a bit and see if I can get the larger image accepted. At 77 k it certainly is well under the weight level.

Funny, I was going to delete the thread and start over, so thanks to everyone.

Mark

MarkF
3rd July 2003, 09:40
One More Time...

MarkF
3rd July 2003, 09:52
This looks to be about the same as the one I flipped so I flipped it back, and going on the allownances of E-budo, this and the first one are the clearest, though small. If you check around at new pics attached, they are all very small in size esepcially those in color.

If anyone wants to play with it to get it right, I'd be more than happy to send it to him/her. I'm just not up-to-date enough to get this particular picture under 600X800 (normally, 800X600, but the new, cropped picture makes the first important in the size game.

Now if I can get John to increase the size allowance or go to a larger setting for E-budo, that would be nice.

I thought I saw Ernie Cates, too, but I couldn't really tell.

The new game is to name the players, point them out on the picture, and list them.

I have got to make even the simplest of web pages to save pictures. I've made a few attempts with freebies, but now that I've been off a dial-up for almost a year, it may be much easier and quicker.

Anyway, thanks for your patience, and thanks to Jerry.

Mark

PS: Now I've got a slew of photos to delete. I think I still have the originals intact, though.

DustyMars
3rd July 2003, 10:21
"And Jeff, well, what can I say? The old man still has it."

I've got it all right :) Got the old man syndrome. Just observant. There are many familiar faces on that image. One even looks like Dale Samials.