PDA

View Full Version : Go Lance!

joe yang
2nd July 2003, 19:56
Saturday, July 5, will Lance Armstrong win his 5th consecutive Tour? The odds are against him. He'll be the oldest rider ever to earn that distinction. Only a handfull of riders have 5 Tour wins at all. Only two or three have 5 consecutive wins. Could he be the first to win six? Not likely.

If you never watched a bicycle race, US coverage is better than ever. The strategy and variety are fascinating. Check it out.

PeteBoyes
3rd July 2003, 08:28
I've never really been able to get my head around bike races like the Tour de France.

Fair enough on the Time Trials, fastest time gets the points.

But when there's a breakaway, there's all sorts of shennanigans in the Peloton depending on whose team has someone in the leading group.

I like Lance Armstrong because he (from my little experience!) seems to 'pull his weight' within his team. When they need to work together to chase down a break-away he spends just as much time at the front of his team as all the 'domestiques'. Unlike some of the other team leaders in the past who cruise along in their team mates slipstream. Were they all French ? ;)

joe yang
5th July 2003, 17:40
Time trials now on OLN. Good coverage, though they caved to popular craving and added a pretty face to the anchors, Kirsten Gum, who ever she is. Anyway, the do a nice job of explaining the fineer aspects of point scoring. ANd these guys are amazing athletes. They are doing two hour warm ups, on average, prior to a 7km timed event. Getting their pre-race heart rate up to 180 beats a minute. The lead time stands at 7 minutes, 28 seconds, 28 tenths.

joe yang
5th July 2003, 18:26
Fastest time just posted by an OZ, McGee. With 7 riders from Down Under, New South Wales is trying to ban bicycles from the open road. :D