PDA

View Full Version : So, am I a bully?

elder999
3rd July 2003, 13:48
Saturday was my birthday. We had another party. We like to throw parties.

(No metaphor here, it’s true story, and I’m genuinely conflicted about my actions…..)

Some of you know from my other postings that I have an eclectic blend of friends: people from the Santa Fe arts community, various spiritual communities, martial arts,work-and they’re a bunch of weirdos on their own-and my neighbors…few as they are.

My Mom and my sister also were in attendance with my nephews and several other children-not small children, but children; that’s somewhat important.

Everyone had a good time…..until…..(and even after)

Well, I have to admit up front that I was aware of this fellow’s…proclivities ahead of time. I also had had, in the span of 3 hours, 4 margaritas.

Anyway, this guy likes to take off his clothes. All of them, and make some sort of entitlement issue of it.I’d also said in the past that his mother should have spanked him as a kid.(“Michael” is also something of a blowhard, psuedo-intellectual-and an annoying liberal.)

I’m also not a prude, but it wasn’t that kind of party. We don’t even have a hot tub, yet, but I’ve got very few problems with nudity-at the hot springs, the pool, the beach, or at my house, but he was disturbing the rest of my guests.

Naturally, I asked him-politely-to put on his clothes, reminding him that there were children and older people present-and that everyone else had their clothes on.

“These people are uptight.” Michael says. “It’s hot in here,” Michael says…..

“Put your clothes on or leave,” Aaron says.

At which point, Michael proceeds to hold forth on a loud tirade about naturism, nudity, entitlement, and inhibitions.

At which point Aaron puts him in a wristlock, drags him outside, pins him across the bench on the deck, takes off his belt and gives Michael the spanking his mother should have 47 years ago…..(with narration: “…and don’t you E-VER take off your clothes with-out -per-mis-sion a-gain..or so help-me-I won’t –be-use-ing-a-belt”)…

…..to general acclaim, even from Michael’s wife, who brought out his clothes for him, said “thank you so much for doing that, “ and drove Michael home.

Sunday, I felt a bit guilty, though, and it’s been building all week…..

I feel like a bully, though a somewhat justified one…..

So, am I a bully?

wendy ongaro
3rd July 2003, 13:57
I don't agree with the spanking (although I would have given $100 to be a fly on the wall for that), but I don't think that you were out of line to remove him from your party. He was behaving without any regard for the comfort of your guests, and you, as the MC, have a duty to make sure EVERYONE, not just Michael, is having a good time. If he was not going to honor your very reasonable request in your home, you have every right to get rid of him.

So, although I think you went overboard, and I'm still chuckling, your initial motivations were very reasonable, and not bullyish.

Anyways, its over now. Learn from it, get on with it. We all have our asinine moments :D

Amir
3rd July 2003, 13:58
You asked him to leave your house, he refused, so you used the minimal necessary amount of force to remove him - so far no bullying at all by anyone’s account.

Then came the more problematic part - you hit him to teach him a lesson.

Here, opinions may vary, but, since you didn't cause any actual damage, even his wife supported you and considering his very annoying behavior. You were OK in my book, even if you had been sober at the time.

Amir

joe yang
3rd July 2003, 14:03
You had a party. You had a few drinks. You wrestled with a naked guy. You won. You spanked him. What's the issue here? :D

sean_stonehart
3rd July 2003, 14:05
Whoo hoo!!! Way to go!! You were absolutely well within your rights to remove him from your house & party!! The spanking part... hehehehe.... I probably wouldn't have thought of it at all until after he'd left, so bonus points for that. He's needed it for a long time from the way you describe it.

No... you weren't a bully... not even close.

Shitoryu Dude
3rd July 2003, 14:21
Needed to be done. Your house, your party, your rules. If he can't figure out that he needs to keep his clothes on while at someone else's place he needs to be sent home.

Sounds as if he does it just to be an jackass. Perhaps the incident will make him grow up a bit (most likely not).

:beer:

Soulend
3rd July 2003, 14:31
Nope, sounds reasonable..not so sure about the spanking thing though...hehe. I think you should be applauded for simply using a wristlock and not throat-chopping the guy, which probably would have been my first choice. If a person is told to leave a place by the owner and does not comply he becomes a trespasser in my book.

I think if I were Michael (over 47 years old and acts like that???), I would be so embarrassed I would move to another state - not to mention never be able to look my wife in the eye again.

kage110
3rd July 2003, 14:44
Aaron,

I am shocked, appalled and outraged that you took such measures against a man who was just exercising his basic human RIGHT to be naked at any particular time and place!

Actually, I am not!:D :D :D I thought your story was hilarious!:toast:

I can understand your feelings after the event and you probably did go a little too far by the normal rules of society but in the long run no harm done. Just a word of warning, your friend might have enjoyed the spanking so much he might come back for more!:eek:

Gene Williams
3rd July 2003, 15:17
Well, things happen a bit differently where I'm from. Before I could've done anything, one of the other males would probably have decked him and thrown him outside and his clothes after him. I'm not sure I wouldn't have just done the same thing. Of course, the women down here would have ridiculed him to the point where he probably would have put his clothes back on. Sounds like you need a new set of friends;) Gene

StanLee
3rd July 2003, 15:23
Aaron, you don't sound like a bully at all. There were children about and no child should have to see an aging man's wrinkled butt!:D I would have done the same thing myself except for the take down.

Just one question though... Michael was still naked when you pinned him down and spanked him...

Erm... that sounds a tad too S&M...:moon: :moon:

I'm hoping that the young ones did not see that too...

Stan

elder999
Originally posted by Gene Williams
Sounds like you need a new set of friends;) Gene

Naah, my friends are cool-and I guess we're really friends with his wife, who's a peach, and who'd apparently warned him beforehand about NOT disrobing at my house-amazing the a$$holes some people marry!

Mike Williams
..because of all manly deeds, spanking a naked man is by far the manliest.:laugh:

It could have been worse. He should be grateful you didn't use the secret Judo technique "stinky finger of death".

And :laugh: at his wife saying "thank you".

Cheers,

Mike

bruceb
3rd July 2003, 15:29
Probably was the right thing to do, and only time will tell if you are still friends.

If he is your friend, he will forgive you,

If not, make sure his family and friends keep an eye on him cause I can see a whole host of bad things happening because of simular incidents I have seen or acted in over my lifetime.

If you hadn't asked if you were a bully, and merely acted on emotion or a whim, you might be. But in this case .. no.

Just keep an eye on your friend ... cause there might be some things you and he need to work out if you continue to be friends.

william northcote
3rd July 2003, 15:44
Aaron for your actions and asking for forgiveness I may say that every person who has read this thread, written in it and smailed would take you to the local watering hole gor a few cool beers, me included.

You acted not only out of the decency for modesty, but also for the children there. I am surprised that person in not getting done for indecent exposure to a minor by the local P.D.

You should have done a poll to see the view in a bar graph format. :D

BTW, a belated happy birthday Aaron

21 again and still kicking ass :cool:

kage110
3rd July 2003, 16:05
BTW, a belated happy birthday Aaron

Seconded!

Ian McDonald
3rd July 2003, 16:12
Hey Aaron,

Happpy birthday! As with many eastern customs, when one engages in various rites of passage, it is customary to assign the newbie a new name in recognition of his higher status in society. How would you like the name Spanky? :laugh:

BTW, did the whiner cry after you whomped him or just sob a little? I wonder if he gets nekkid at work? Might just be the thing at a slow business meeting to spark some decision making.:nono:

Shitoryu Dude
3rd July 2003, 16:51
I'm just wondering what sort of jerk goes to someone else's party and strips naked for attention? Does he consider himself to some sort of Chippendale's dancer or the next John Holmes? Even if he did have good cause to be proud of his physique nobody needs to see his johnson flopping around in the middle of the afternoon while trying to have a BBQ and a few drinks.

I would have punted his naked butt out the front door and made him walk home naked.

elder999
3rd July 2003, 17:04
Originally posted by Shitoryu Dude
I'm just wondering what sort of jerk goes to someone else's party and strips naked for attention? Does he consider himself to some sort of Chippendale's dancer or the next John Holmes? Even if he did have good cause to be proud of his physique nobody needs to see his johnson flopping around in the middle of the afternoon while trying to have a BBQ and a few drinks.

I would have punted his naked butt out the front door and made him walk home naked.

Well, it's a loooong walk.

He's a fairly successful computer wonk-he works out of his house, where he spends most of his time naked. He actually thinks (from what I understand) that he's trying to wake up society, to get people to embrace his lifestyle choices through this kind of behavior.
He's actually a terribly spoiled, only child momma's boy-fromhwat his wife has told me, anyway, and I've had way more conversations with her.

He's the sort of guy who-get this, this was the first time we met, and we were ALL naked, up at the hot springs around sundown, and he wants to go traipsing off up the hill (mountain with cliffs), and I offer him my extra flashlight, he replies, "I have a flashlight;I'm not stupid."

So, maybe I had a few Michael issues beforehand as well.....

Aozora
3rd July 2003, 17:13
That's hilarious! He sounds just like the guy on GTA: Vice City who is a guest on a talk radio program and urges everyone to get naked.

Of course, it's meant to be a joke, there....

Happy B-day, BTW. :)

kage110
3rd July 2003, 17:36
Nothing wrong with being nekkid and maybe the world would be a better place if we all got nekkid more often but there is a time and a place for trying to convert people and at someone-else's home after they have asked you to put your clothes back on...well as I say, there is a time and a place and that wasn't it.

Hey 'Spanky' can I fly you out to my next party to sort out all the anti-social guests? Nekkid guests are not a problem in Scotland as it is rarely warm enough and when it is the midges stop any silliness like that.:D

Gene Williams
3rd July 2003, 17:45
It is certainly nice to know that the guys out at the National Lab hang out with such distinguished, level headed company:rolleyes:

Cody
3rd July 2003, 18:08
Happy belated birthday, Aaron!

You are not a bully, you just did everybody a favor and gave him what he needs. Most people probably won't, because of the protential consequences with the law. But you have my applaudis.

At first I thought, "oh, big deal, it's only a spanking, it could have been much worse", but then he is a guy (I didn't say man :D), and this is in front of his wife... cruel and unusual, I would say :nono: Ah well, at least the kids might learn from his example :rolleyes:

Had Michal's mom thanked you yet? Our society had made so much "progress" that people have gone from civiled to super-civiled and back to unciviled. "We are so civilized that parents don't spank their children and men do wear perfume". :rolleyes: What a great place to be in!

-Cody

elder999
3rd July 2003, 18:11
Originally posted by Gene Williams
It is certainly nice to know that the guys out at the National Lab hang out with such distinguished, level headed company:rolleyes:

You'd be surprised at some of the people I hang out with, Gene.

As for the "guys" at the National Lab, I can state that without a doubt, we are one of the biggest collections of weirdos on the planet.

I used to work with a fellow who had worked out his "optimal nutritional model," ate nothing but bologna sandwiches and pills, and looked like an evil Santa Claus.

There's another guy who has calculated his most efficient maintenance workout, and comes into the gym in street clothes and does like one or two reps on a couple of machines, and leaves.

We have guys that wear the same clothes for days on end, home-school their kids to keep them immersed in "christian values," argue against evolution being taught in schools and for creationism, and frantically chase down U.F.O.'s in their spare time.

I'm not even going to get into the history of wife-swapping in Los Alamos; it goes back to Oppenheimer.....

Then there's the guys that come from the nuke testing era-weird.

The bio-warfare/research guys-weird.

The computer guys-ultra weird.

Mathemeticians in general-weird.

Rocket scientists-weird-(I dated a rocket scientist for a while.....)

Various foreign nationals-weird with a european/asian/whatever spin.

You name a sport or leisure activity, and there's someone here who's done it, does it, or wrote the book on it......sailing, sky-diving, bungee jumping (invented by a bunch of Caltech boys, dontcha know), white water whatever, running, orienteering, marathons, triathlons, bowling, poker, chess, needle point-Bill Broste retired last year, but he's one of the world's leading stitchers....

Oh, yeah, America's finest minds.....and some of us-myself included, are U.S. government certified "sane," whatever that means:p

...of course, Michael doesn't work at the lab.....

Onmitsu
3rd July 2003, 18:14
Aaron,
From your comments I gather that spanking 'Michael' was something that you had been thinking about for a while or at least intellectually acknowledged that this was something he needed based on his personality and upbringing. I don't think you acted inapropriately. After all it was your home and you did warn him more than once. Heck, even his wife warned him before hand. It's sounds like a case of righteous indignation. I remind you of the account of Christ and the merchants at the temple. When Christ saw that the money changers etc. were using the temple as a front to make money off of worshippers he first went and MADE a whip. Notice that he thought out his actions and acted apropriate to the severity of the wrong doings. He didn't murder anyone, he just messed up their game.
Sounds like you were an instrument of Justice.

Gene Williams
3rd July 2003, 18:30
Wait a minute...Tony Kehoe has already declared himself God and World Dictator. Sounds like you want to make Aaron God, or at least, Jesus. Perhaps they could be two persons of a Trinity, perhaps to include Harvey Moul or Sharp Phil:D Or, to go back to ancient cosmology, Sharp Phil or Harvey would make a great Demi-urge! Gene

cguzik
3rd July 2003, 18:42
Aaron,

You reminded me how much I enjoyed reading some of Richard Feynman's humorous stories of the days he was at Los Alamos. Scientist types and military types make for a strange combination.

One of my favorite movies, though Los Alamos plays only as a background setting, is Infinity, Matthew Broderick's portrayal of Feynman throughout his relationship with his wife Arlene Greembaum, who died from TB.

Chris

BC
3rd July 2003, 18:51
I don't think you were being a bully. I would say you exorcized amazing restraint. If I were at a party with my child and some bonehead pulled a get-naked stunt, I probably would have done something different. I only wish I had seen it - it would have been hilarious to watch. Is it safe to assume that during the spanking he wasn't saying, "Thank you sir may I have another!" ?

Shitoryu Dude
3rd July 2003, 18:55
Well, I'm also Batman as well. Which is even cooler.

Aaron is now officialy Luke Cage, and as Power Man can spank all the ass he wants (as long as he gets paid to do it).

Now, if he only find a yellow silk shirt, blue tights and pirate boots to go along with the really cool steel headband he wears.......

william northcote
3rd July 2003, 18:55
And I will not ask about a woody :p

Mitch Saret
3rd July 2003, 20:16
gret story Aaron. Just remember, doing what's right and needs to be done may not be popular. It's just leadership!

Meik Skoss
3rd July 2003, 21:05
Well done. I think the way you took care of this problem child was remarkably restrained.

Of course, if you had (ventrally) pinned him to a handy saguaro cactus, that might have gotten the point across equally as well.

(Oops, that was unintentional, but I'll stick with it. Ahem...)

A. M. Jauregui
3rd July 2003, 23:13
I prefer to socially embarrass out of line party guests but if need be I move on to the physical *[evil] lol*.

I probably would have lead him out to the middle of the party and ridiculed him in front of the others and if that was not enough a harsh twist of his manhood (followed by a bit of jujutsu to through his naked butt on the street).
*Some fool actually got naked at one of my parties - gay pride BS*

Aaron what you did is reasonable (because of the kids) but I would have replaced the spanking with a pushing kick to the butt as to expedite him off my property and the words, “See how you like being nude on the street.”

P.S. Happy birthday Aaron! :kiss:

elder999
3rd July 2003, 23:21
Originally posted by A.M. Jauregui
but I would have replaced the spanking with a pushing kick to the butt as to expedite him off my property and the words, “See how you like being nude on the street.”

Ohhh, I live in the forest, there really is no "street";it hardly qualifies as a "road."

In fact, when I'm not having company, I walk around outside nude myself....I like to garden that way......

A. M. Jauregui
3rd July 2003, 23:40
Originally posted by elder999
I walk around outside nude myself....I like to garden that way......

Just make sure you snake does not meet up with one while in the garden. *LOL*

There is nothing wrong with nudity but everything has a palce and a time. But I prefer lingerie...

Chiburi
3rd July 2003, 23:54

Ohhh, I live in the forest, there really is no "street";it hardly qualifies as a "road."

In fact, when I'm not having company, I walk around outside nude myself....I like to garden that way......

Must be one helluva sight :o

That wasn't being a bully, it was being the host at the party and, simply put, a man. Though I wouldn't have expected the spanking from the nice and calm guy you seem to be..

Cheers,

Jock Armstrong
4th July 2003, 00:32
Arnie, you are the god of self restraint and just punishment for transgression. May you be henceforth be known as the "Spankinator".

"I'LL BE BACK!":beer:

wendy ongaro
4th July 2003, 01:01
Happy Birthday Aaron.

with regards to running around nude...

Nekkid guests are not a problem in Scotland as it is rarely warm enough and when it is the midges stop any silliness like that.

Little mushrooms lying in the moss. :D The joy of cold weather.

seriously,

First action. Right action.

Kimpatsu
4th July 2003, 02:46
Saturday was my birthday. We had another party. We like to throw parties.

(No metaphor here, it’s true story, and I’m genuinely conflicted about my actions…..)

Some of you know from my other postings that I have an eclectic blend of friends: people from the Santa Fe arts community, various spiritual communities, martial arts,work-and they’re a bunch of weirdos on their own-and my neighbors…few as they are.

My Mom and my sister also were in attendance with my nephews and several other children-not small children, but children; that’s somewhat important.

Everyone had a good time…..until…..(and even after)

Well, I have to admit up front that I was aware of this fellow’s…proclivities ahead of time. I also had had, in the span of 3 hours, 4 margaritas.

Anyway, this guy likes to take off his clothes. All of them, and make some sort of entitlement issue of it.I’d also said in the past that his mother should have spanked him as a kid.(“Michael” is also something of a blowhard, psuedo-intellectual-and an annoying liberal.)

I’m also not a prude, but it wasn’t that kind of party. We don’t even have a hot tub, yet, but I’ve got very few problems with nudity-at the hot springs, the pool, the beach, or at my house, but he was disturbing the rest of my guests.

Naturally, I asked him-politely-to put on his clothes, reminding him that there were children and older people present-and that everyone else had their clothes on.

“These people are uptight.” Michael says. “It’s hot in here,” Michael says…..

“Put your clothes on or leave,” Aaron says.

At which point, Michael proceeds to hold forth on a loud tirade about naturism, nudity, entitlement, and inhibitions.

At which point Aaron puts him in a wristlock, drags him outside, pins him across the bench on the deck, takes off his belt and gives Michael the spanking his mother should have 47 years ago…..(with narration: “…and don’t you E-VER take off your clothes with-out -per-mis-sion a-gain..or so help-me-I won’t –be-use-ing-a-belt”)…

…..to general acclaim, even from Michael’s wife, who brought out his clothes for him, said “thank you so much for doing that, “ and drove Michael home.

Sunday, I felt a bit guilty, though, and it’s been building all week…..

I feel like a bully, though a somewhat justified one…..

So, am I a bully?
I only have one question. If you held a party, why wasn't I invited? :D
Happy birthday.

bruceb
4th July 2003, 07:05
The invitation was sent to the real Tony Kehoe, in Canada.

Kimpatsu
4th July 2003, 07:13
As god, I am omnipresent, Bruce, so I both received the invitation in Canada and was in fact present at the party.
We're going to buy Bruce a chair for his birthday.
But we'll wait until he's sitting in it before we plug it in. :D

bgigas
4th July 2003, 07:33

You'd be [B]surprised at some of the people I hang out with, Gene.

As for the "guys" at the National Lab, I can state that without a doubt, we are one of the biggest collections of weirdos on the planet.

Sorry to de-rail to topic for a sec.
My father used to work at Bell Labs when AT&T actually gave their workers pins that said "One in a million" since their employment roster was once that extensive.
Anyway, I have heard stories of people who were so weird the "mores police" would have locked them up. He once told me about a guy who was only creative when walking backwards, so he walked backwards all the time at work.
On the other hand, he also told me rather interesting stories about people who would, when passing each other in the hall, shout a valid chess move. This game of verbal chess would go on for sometimes weeks, while the players kept the game in the confines of their heads. Truly, this requires quite a memory.

Anyway, on to the topic.
A man's home is his castle. I certainly believe you did no wrong in trying to remove him from the party. Although I don't know if I would have resorted to physical violence, simply because I have trained most of my life on how NOT to enter a physically-aggresive situation. Although, I was not at your party, so I have no way of knowing 100% correctly how things went down.

In this line of thought, I believe all martial artists should consider a serious study in psychology in order to learn more effective ways of verbal combat. After all, why should we, as martial artists, be only limited to physical martial abilities.
My Shidoshi, Mr. Jack Hoban has a link on his website (http://www.livingvalues.com) to something called Verbal Judo (http://www.verbaljudo.com). I have no experience at all with this program, so I cannot add comment to it other than provide the link.

Finally, happy birthday. If you're ever in the New Jersey area during the summer (since I move to Phoenix this fall) let me know and I'll buy you a belated-birthday-beer to two.
:toast:

Tripitaka of AA
4th July 2003, 12:02
I thoroughly enjoyed the story. To answer your question, I'd say everything up to the spanking was absolutely fine. The spanking made me laugh but whether it was right is open to interpretation. I'd have to say, I wish I could have done such a thing (not because I enjoy spanking, but teaching someone such a memorable lesson must be a gratifying experience).

My wife (from Tokyo) and I (from London) couldn't quite imagine going through with the spanking, it seemed "over the line". But we both decided that the rules are a little different depending on your location. I've come to the conclusion that your judgement was the just right for the occasion and the personality involved. Whether his lawyers would be able to convince a judge, is where the boundaries become more relevant.

koma
5th July 2003, 06:07
Aaron, did this guy try to squirm away and cry or did he just lay there and take it with a smile. If he laid there and smiled, he has more serious issues other than wanting to be naked all the time, :laugh:
I don't think you were out of line at all...may have done the same if the same occured here.:smash:

Mekugi
5th July 2003, 08:47
I dunno whether you are a bully or not, but that was freaking hilarious.

Kudos....

-Russ

Daishi
5th July 2003, 08:56
No.

Dale Heisler

Kimpatsu
6th July 2003, 02:32
Originally posted by Mekugi
I dunno whether you are a bully or not, but that was freaking hilarious.
Actually, I thought it was a bum rap, but the other guy did make an ass of himself... ;)
Best, Aaron.

koma
6th July 2003, 04:02
Bum...rap...:laugh: :D

Kimpatsu
6th July 2003, 04:09
Originally posted by koma
Bum...rap...:laugh: :D
Yes, it's a spanking good joke, isn't it? :p

koma
6th July 2003, 08:29
I can't answer that, I'm still laughing!:laugh: :laugh:

Kimpatsu
6th July 2003, 08:38
Originally posted by koma
I can't answer that, I'm still laughing!:laugh: :laugh:
Ah, whip yourself into shape. Cane't you do that? :cool:

bruceb
6th July 2003, 16:35
That would be Cane not, or Canen't, or Can not or Can't but never, ever ... Cane't.

I just had a horrible thought ...

You aren't typing in the nude with thoughts of being caned by some sleasy cartoon bimbo?

Eayuchie ..... yuckie!

Anyway, just wanted to point out, even the great God Tony Kehoe, makes mistakes.

I will light a candle and pray for your eternal soul .... but I will have to flip a coin as to which direction I will pray for it to go.

Ok ... coin is in the air ... Call it, TK.

Kimpatsu
6th July 2003, 16:38
The only soul that exists, Bruce, is the music.
Anyway, I don't want to go to heaven if it's full of self-righteous idiots like you.

spartanmachine
7th July 2003, 08:05
You did the right thing wristlocking him and throwing him out but the spanking was a bit much.

william northcote
7th July 2003, 08:27
Originally posted by spartanmachine
You did the right thing wristlocking him and throwing him out but the spanking was a bit much.

Why was the spanking a bit much??

It gave it an air of Monty Pyton. Four men sitting round discussing life and how poor they were. This would fit right in that skit.

spartanmachine
7th July 2003, 16:31
I don't know it just seems a little weird to picture. The same guy who told him to put his clothes on is now whipping his bare butt with a belt. But he did have it coming.

Ron Tisdale
7th July 2003, 18:35
More power to you Aaron! My birthday and your's are on the same day!

Ron T.

Kimpatsu
8th July 2003, 00:11
Originally posted by Sharp Phil
I don't think soundly thrashing an obnoxious cretin who displays such obvious disrespect in the home of another person is "a bit much" at all. He's lucky he got merely a symbolic emasculating.
Yes, Aaron whipped him into shape... :D

leoboiko
8th July 2003, 17:53
If you think the spanking was too much, consider what you would do to that guy <i>after four margaritas</i>...