PDA

View Full Version : WMO (it's getting hot in here)

Chuck Munyon
3rd July 2003, 20:21
WMO- no, it doesn't stand for Weapons of Mass Organization, it stands for the World Meteorological Organization; and they are not happy at all!

http://www.cnn.com/2003/WEATHER/07/03/wmo.extremes/index.html

Their report is in stark contrast to the gutted EPA report which Bush commissioned and then demissioned last month, and the picture it paints ain't pretty. In the 20th century it was bomb shelters; in the 21st century, will it be storm shelters?

Shitoryu Dude
3rd July 2003, 20:34
I prefer to look at things over the long haul, not micro-snapshots of time.

The sun's energy output has been rising steadily for the last few decades, which nobody seems to want to factor into global warming, and quite honestly, the planet was known to be hotter within the last couple millenia.

:beer:

Mitch Saret
3rd July 2003, 21:16
Have to agree with Harvey here. Most of the global warming talk seems to deal with the last 100 years at the most. Our accurate weather data only goes back about 200 years. I would say that the planet and the sun are a bit older than that. What some see as a problem is merely nature doing it's job. That makes global warming a political issue, nothing more, nothing less.

A. M. Jauregui
3rd July 2003, 22:45
Yes, yes climatic change happens in cycles. Tilt and wobble coupled with precession. *Knew that astronomy class would come in handy one day.*

EPA report which Bush commissioned was politics as usual...

joe yang
4th July 2003, 00:01
Ana, what do astronomy and motorcycles have to do with global warming? :(

Gene Williams
4th July 2003, 00:09
Yeah, and I hope when Tilt and Wobble coupled with Precession they did it in private:eek: Gene

A. M. Jauregui
4th July 2003, 00:11
pre·ces·sion n.

1. The act or state of preceding; precedence.
2. Physics.
The motion of the axis of a spinning body, such as the wobble [tilt too] of a spinning top, when there is an external force acting on the axis.
3. Astronomy.
a. Precession of the equinoxes.
b. A slow gyration of the earth's axis around the pole of the ecliptic, caused mainly by the gravitational pull of the sun, moon, and other planets on the earth's equatorial bulge.

Not that I really understand that stuff - it is just that I remember a thing or two now and then.

joe yang
4th July 2003, 00:50
Tilt, wobble and precession all relate to steering motorcycles, sorry, I got confused. Nevermind.