PDA

View Full Version : What good are men? (Serious)

PHILBERT
5th July 2003, 04:15
Ok ladies and gentlemen, I took up an offer from a female coworker, non lesbian, who asked me, what ARE men good for?

Now, NO sex involved, no reproduction, nothing like that. What good are men in this world? What can we provide for a woman that can not be provided on her own or by children? She gets love from her children, companionship, etc. So what are men good for? No sex involved.

koma
5th July 2003, 05:51
Extra paycheck?:D or maybe a :( smilie would be better.

A. M. Jauregui
5th July 2003, 07:05
Male insights of the world that we all live on and share. Every time that I go out on first dates or meet a new guy, I am amazed with their alternate persecutive - sometimes even flabbergasted.

If men had all the same views as women what fun what that be - the blandness sends a shiver down my spine.

Daishi
5th July 2003, 08:01
By those same rules, WHAT good are women?

Daishi
5th July 2003, 08:48
WARNING: Rant to follow

I'm so absolutely shocked by that offer, that I'm wondering if your female co-worker is not some sort of hard-core feminist. I'm not sure that I can quite express the utter revulsion I feel at the notion men are useless. Perhaps this has to do with that fact I am one, or the fact that it has been a long ->*long*<- night of drinking, or that your co-worker is totally (in the words of other profuse posters -Kimpatsu-) floo-floo. To challenge the question of what use are men, is to challenge the whole of evolution and we really can't argue that can we? (Unless you're from Kansas or the deep south) The question is so superfluous that it borders on the point (I think falling over) of inane.

I will fully admit that I would last about 15 minutes without women in my life. I mean that in a totally non-sexual, non-reproductive way. Most of the guys I know are hard-edged, either through extensive substance abuse or through martial arts, either way its hard to get a balanced viewpoint of life interacting solely with either of these two groups. It's through the weekly runs with one woman, or the occasional cup of coffee, sometimes the very presence of -girl-friends helps to keep me sane, coupled with reading and meditation.

I would like to think that women in some way (not the same ways I need them obviously) need men. The opposite sex, I think, provides a valuable perspective on life that would be sorely missed by either side. I think *maybe* you're coworker has been embittered at some point by men. I would like to hear the arguments against men though, sounds interesting....

Sorry for the rant......

Dale Heisler

joe yang
5th July 2003, 09:06
What good are men? Hah, ask any kid who is growing up without a father!

Mike Williams
5th July 2003, 11:13
I think your feminist friend is right. There isn't much in western scociety that a woman can't do as well as a man.

In fact I envisage a day when society is entirely dominated by women, who perform all of the work, and a men are kept as subservient sex-slaves, whose only duties are to keep themselves fit and pleasure their female rulers. Any transgressions of the rules would be strictly punished by...

Sorry, what were we talking about?

Cheers,

Mike

Soulend
5th July 2003, 12:20
Originally posted by joe yang
What good are men? Hah, ask any kid who is growing up without a father!
:nw:

Bonus: Gaze upon any random object or phenomenon. Chances are a man invented, discovered, or explained it. So, if she doesn't mind walking everywhere she goes and communicating via smoke signal while simultaneously wondering after the purpose of that monstrous ball of pockmarked green cheese and why it doesn't fall from the sky to collide with her flat earth, well, no, I guess men serve no purpose at all.....

Tripitaka of AA
5th July 2003, 12:39
Men kill the spiders.
Men reach the jar of pickles down from the top shelf and open it without breaking a nail.
Men get stupidly drunk, to remind women why Venus is a "dry" planet.
Men play football so women can see their kegs(!) in action.
:eek:

wendy ongaro
5th July 2003, 14:56
What are men good for..

I can't compare my relationships with men to my relationships with my children because I don't have any children.

Because of my interests in life, I have always been closer to men than women as a general rule.

What I love about men...

1. camaderie- people with the same interests who I can work closely togther with toward a common goal i.e. MA training, giving good health care, hiking, fishing, hunting.
2. conversation
3. laughing
4. giving (and receiving) alot of teasing- many women don't know how to jokingly insult and receive insults and comebacks.
5. silence- women often feel as though they have to make conversation all the time. I feel that when there's nothing left to say, say nothing. I love being in that quiet, warm space with another person where nothing is said, and nothing needs to be said. That is true company.
6. confidence- a way of approaching the world head on and with a physical way of being, like every physical step in this world means something
7. gentleness- I see kindness in women alot, but not true gentleness. gentleness is being a powerful person, but having the sensitivity to modulate it to the situation. It is a gift, and a wonderful thing to experience from your mate.
8. O.K. this one might break the rules a little. WRESTLING! getting on the mat with some sweaty, hairy guy and going for broke to see who gets the mount and who can keep the mount and for how long. plus arm wrestling, leg wrestling, smear the queer (the facination of my adolescent years when I was so shy, but so wanted to tackle those cute boys- regardless of whether they had the ball or not). physical contact! :p
9. good beer. I love a good pint of dark stout, porter, or ale, preferably microbrew. This is something that most women do not like.

My husband is the best thing that happened to me. Nothing lasts forever. All people are separated sometime by one of the Big D's- Death, Divorce, or Distance, and every day, I really cherish with him because it's a gift. I can't even imagine what my world would be like without him. People who ask such questions as "what good is a man?" obviously never let a good man in close to them. And that makes me pity them greatly. They are missing out on a big part of life.

Prince Loeffler
5th July 2003, 16:21
Ahem, Wendy can we like uh..Borrow a cup of your DNA for cloning :D

Originally posted by wendy ongaro
What are men good for..

I can't compare my relationships with men to my relationships with my children because I don't have any children.

Because of my interests in life, I have always been closer to men than women as a general rule.

What I love about men...

1. camaderie- people with the same interests who I can work closely togther with toward a common goal i.e. MA training, giving good health care, hiking, fishing, hunting.
2. conversation
3. laughing
4. giving (and receiving) alot of teasing- many women don't know how to jokingly insult and receive insults and comebacks.
5. silence- women often feel as though they have to make conversation all the time. I feel that when there's nothing left to say, say nothing. I love being in that quiet, warm space with another person where nothing is said, and nothing needs to be said. That is true company.
6. confidence- a way of approaching the world head on and with a physical way of being, like every physical step in this world means something
7. gentleness- I see kindness in women alot, but not true gentleness. gentleness is being a powerful person, but having the sensitivity to modulate it to the situation. It is a gift, and a wonderful thing to experience from your mate.
8. O.K. this one might break the rules a little. WRESTLING! getting on the mat with some sweaty, hairy guy and going for broke to see who gets the mount and who can keep the mount and for how long. plus arm wrestling, leg wrestling, smear the queer (the facination of my adolescent years when I was so shy, but so wanted to tackle those cute boys- regardless of whether they had the ball or not). physical contact! :p
9. good beer. I love a good pint of dark stout, porter, or ale, preferably microbrew. This is something that most women do not like.

My husband is the best thing that happened to me. Nothing lasts forever. All people are separated sometime by one of the Big D's- Death, Divorce, or Distance, and every day, I really cherish with him because it's a gift. I can't even imagine what my world would be like without him. People who ask such questions as "what good is a man?" obviously never let a good man in close to them. And that makes me pity them greatly. They are missing out on a big part of life.

wendy ongaro
5th July 2003, 16:59
Ya know, when I meet someone with the attitude "Men are only good (or no good) for this..." "Women are only good (or no good) for that...", I don't care if it's a guy or a girl...I walk away. It tells me they are scared of relationships with people- especially the opposite sex. unfortunately that fear is going to color their relationship with me, often to my detriment.

There are so many people who are balanced and not afraid to have relationships- why should I waste my time on anyone else?

They do not have to pin their pain, their frustration with their loneliness, and their unhappiness with their relationships on 'the opposite sex.' Hell, I have gay and lesbian friends who pull the same behavior on their own gender. That tells me it has little to do with actual sex and alot to do with insecurity.

These chauvanistic/reverse chauvanistic statements generally tell me more about those who say them and their character then they do about which ever sex they are discussing. And my reaction is generally "Wendy, lets pack up the dog and the rods, leave this loser alone (male or female), and go fishin'." There's too much to life to waste it on gender bashing.

Hanna B
5th July 2003, 18:15
Originally posted by Daishi
By those same rules, WHAT good are women?

Ippon.

Gene Williams
5th July 2003, 18:27
Women cannot piss against a wall.:p

wendy ongaro
5th July 2003, 18:32
Honey, I've been pissing in the woods without a toilet for years. You get me the wall, and I'll show you how high I can go. I have expert aim. I can hit a juice bottle on rolling boat in the Straights of Juan De Fuca during a squall with the utmost ease and never spill a drop.

wendy ongaro
5th July 2003, 18:39
Further proof of what a woman can do...

long piss (http://www.punchbaby.com/media/gitfakt/clips/adult/longPiss.mpg)

Gene Williams
5th July 2003, 19:02
Charmed, I'm sure:rolleyes:

spartanmachine
5th July 2003, 19:20
Women cannot piss against a wall.
I've seen a drunk woman piss against a wall downtown once.

Take all the women who hate men and move them to a deserted island then they'll see how much they need us. Let's face it we need each other.
I love women, and let's face it, they love me too! ;)

Soulend
5th July 2003, 19:59
Originally posted by wendy ongaro
Further proof of what a woman can do...

long piss (http://www.disney.com)

Seems to be 'Men's Room' material to me, not exactly for general viewing. Should have at least come with a warning so people aren't opening that link up at work. It should be remembered that all ages read this board, please.

A. M. Jauregui
5th July 2003, 23:24
Wendy are you sure that you are not a long lost sister to my old college roommate Christine Peyton? From the rogue‘s gallery thread you two even look similar.

She ruled just as you do.

Vapour
6th July 2003, 00:45
Originally posted by PHILBERT
Ok ladies and gentlemen, I took up an offer from a female coworker, non lesbian, who asked me, what ARE men good for?

Now, NO sex involved, no reproduction, nothing like that. What good are men in this world? What can we provide for a woman that can not be provided on her own or by children? She gets love from her children, companionship, etc. So what are men good for? No sex involved.

http://www.aintgotone.com/temp/feminists.jpg

wendy ongaro
6th July 2003, 02:40
Wendy are you sure that you are not a long lost sister to my old college roommate Christine Peyton?

No relation. Sorry.

Should have at least come with a warning so people aren't opening that link up at work. It should be remembered that all ages read this board, please.

Sorry, didn't mean in offend anyone. Hubby saw that clip on punchbaby, and we were discussing my last post about the seaboard acrobatics I learned as a kid, and he dared me to post it. (I'm a sucker for a dare). I guess working medicine makes me blase to the natural functions of human beings. I forget that not everone else is on the same crazy planet. my apologies.

By the way, the girl in the clip is way, way, waaaaay more skinny than me. She hasn't got my "must be able to pop out 12 kids and still keep cooking" Catholic Italian hips. Curves are best. :D

PwarYuex
6th July 2003, 11:24
Originally posted by Gene Williams
Women cannot piss against a wall.:p

Well then I guess I'm a bad man for knowing otherwise.

*edit after download finished

or wendy ongaro is for showing me.

bruceb
6th July 2003, 15:55
Hmmmm ...... I have some thoughts about that.

First ... men and women have different polarity for their body, making it impossible for women to truly understand men, and vice versa. In this context, we have difference, giving rise to likes and dislikes, so women have something to like or dislike about men, and men have something to like or dislike about women. Which makes a validation of this question moot, doesn't it?

But for arguement sake, the physical attributes of men or women probagate the attraction or repulsion of each to or from each other, which in the great scheme of things cause us to overlook the flaws in each other to allow not just sex, but the companionship of each other as we admire qualities that the other sex posesses, or we would like to see in ourselves, or at least have that person stay within our lives.

When I see question like "What good are men?(Serious)" I think there has been a whole lot of down and dirty sex without any thought to each being an individual who seeks to fulfill that prime directive to reproduce, but has fallen into the trap of self gratification at any cost with no future ... what are we, Salmon who spawn once then die? I don't think so.

Get a grip. Be honest with yourself, and maybe get those urges to self satisfy or gratify those urges to party, party, party under control, because they are the primal emotions that seem to be the bases of this question.

Ok, so men are no good ... so what? And women are just good for one thing ... who cares? When you wake up in the morning and look at that person in the morning, your sexual urges satisfied .... do you still want to be with each other, and more important, do you like each other? If the answer is yes, it pretty much kills this entire thread, doesn't it?

Took me a couple of years, in my early twenties to realize this, but most people don't realize just how strong the primal urges to keep the species going is, and just how much we don't use our brains.

If you can use your brain to separate lust from like, separate animal urges from thought, and see past the physical shell we each inhabit to what the soul of that person is reaching towards, a good life or a weasel life, then this question can take on a new dimension.

As it stands now, it is a pissing contest ... and I didn't need to see that ... she could turned in the other direction to make the same point, eh?