PDA

View Full Version : Monosaccharides/simple carbohydrate and fat stores.

Charles Choi
7th July 2003, 04:09
99% fat free, yeah, but it’s loaded with sugar sometimes you’re not likely to burn off before it becomes fat. How many times have we heard that? Did you know that the carbs in milk are simple-carbs?

We also often hear that we should stay away from simple-carbs and stick to complex-carbs (in moderation of course).

But how about fruit – that contains fructose right? Fruit is full of simple-carbs (monosaccharides), but would an overdose of fruit mean a person will overload on sugar? If the kilojoules intake is high enough without the body burning it off, it’ll get stored in the liver and as fat yeah?

Can someone take me through the logic?
http://www.gymaddiction.com/Nutrition/Carbohydrates.html#Fructose

PRehse
7th July 2003, 05:39
Its all a question of moderation.

The sugar in fruits, milk, honey are no more or less harmful than sugars from complex carbohydrates or refined sugar.

Pure refined sugar has one drawback especially if you pile it on your cereal or in your coffee. It gets absorbed real quick resulting in a spike in your blood concentrations. That can't be good and I have heard that this pattern may have some relationship to maturity onset diabetes. Getting your sugar from fruit (there are only so many apples you can eat at one time) and carbohydrates (the sugars are released only through digestion) avoids the spiking. There is a rise in sugar levels but our body can produce insulin fast enough to accomodate it.

The body deals with fructose and glucose in pretty much the same way.

I recommend eating something containing carohydrates a few hours before training to at least up your levels of glycogen.

No sugar is not good for you either. Not just becuae of the glycogen but the brain only uses glucose for its metabolism.