PDA

View Full Version : Keeping yourself in check

spartanmachine
7th July 2003, 08:23
How far would you go to avoid a fight and how exactly do you keep yourself in check to prevent yourself from getting into fights based on ego or saving face?
If someone tries to start an unprovoked fight with you why would you restrain yourself and would it be necessary?
Do you know why it would or wouldn't?
I've been in situations against people who have tried to provoke me and I didn't react to them only responded quite appropriately. I think I know why but I'm not 100% sure and would like to compare my belief to what others might think.
I'll give you a few examples I'd like you to answer quickly though without giving too much thought, as if it actually happened.

-Someone bumps into you and it's obvious they did it on purpose?
-You are waiting in line and someone is obviously staring at you in a rude manner?
-Someone hits your car, it's clearly their fault and they are aggressive with you and blame you?
-You are stopped at a red light and someone accidentally hits you from behind, then says it's ok there's no damage and then subtlely tries to get away?

Keep in mind the main question here is why do you think you would or wouldn't react and lose your cool? How has your Martial arts training influenced this?

A. M. Jauregui
7th July 2003, 09:28
How far would you go to avoid a fight and how exactly do you keep yourself in check to prevent yourself from getting into fights based on ego or saving face?

Realization of the law and the consequences keep me in check.

If someone tries to start an unprovoked fight with you why would you restrain yourself and would it be necessary?

Once again the consequences help with restraint - the last thing that I need is a criminal record or a civil law suit. No it is not generally necessary to restrain myself for I do not make a habit of fighting with strangers off the mats.

Do you know why it would or wouldn't?

Common sense keeps my latin temper in check. :cool:

-Someone bumps into you and it's obvious they did it on purpose?

Dirty *death stare* look.

-You are waiting in line and someone is obviously staring at you in a rude manner?

Ignore it - I have gotten used to stares.

-Someone hits your car, it's clearly their fault and they are aggressive with you and blame you?

Not happened so far but I would call 911 - a police report is needed away. *Response time seems to be minutes in my area.

-You are stopped at a red light and someone accidentally hits you from behind, then says it's ok there's no damage and then subtlely tries to get away?

Memories the licence number and if they get away call the police - need to report the hit and run...

Keep in mind the main question here is why do you think you would or wouldn't react and lose your cool? How has your Martial arts training influenced this?

I am mean and conniving and a lose cannon. ;)