PDA

View Full Version : 1st UK Meet A Success!

monkeyboy_ssj
7th July 2003, 15:50
Here’s the write up of how the first ever London E-Budo Meet went.

We aimed to meet up outside Piccadilly Circus at around 7:30pm. I got there and realized that I hadn’t got a clue what any of them look like! So I sent out a text message telling them to look for the amazingly attractive guy with huge muscles and they soon found me (Insert sarcasm here).

Ben (Fithchamber) was the first to come upto us and say hi and we joked abit about what people would look like and soon after Mike Williams joined our group. Most of us were showing off our martial arts T Shirts but I was wearing my Betty Ford Clinic out patient one…I got many funny/scared looks…

So far everyone was just like they were on line, and laughing and talking about members and threads being discussed in the forum at that time. Then I got a sheepish look from a guy with his muscular brother and it was Stan (StanLee) and his brother Felix.

We soon head off down to a pub on the edge of Soho called ‘The White Horse’ that does a good, cheap(ish) pint for central London. It was nice to see everyone having a drink of London Pride and generally having a chat about Randori, Music, stories of Sensei’s and loads more Tom Foolery.

Soon a drunk guy came up to us, thinking he was funny and started telling very unfunny jokes, us politely sniggering hoping that he would go away when Felix told a joke with the punch line “A post office cue” which had us in stitches and falling around laughing. He put my donkey joke to shame…and the unfunny guy soon realized he was not in our ‘league’ (insert smugness here)

After finishing a few pints we headed off the Glasshouse Street for a Curry in the ‘Mumbai Café’. Bring on the Cobra beer! ^_^ We soon were talking about moves, locking each other out with faces flying into Naan breads, and spinning the wheel of Chutney for our Popadums.

We were getting very strange looks by the waiters as we drank and were happily hurting each other with smiles of our faces. After finishing our beers and multiple curry’s it was time to head off, slightly pissed, stumbling out of the restaurant, before we got slowly mesmerized by the 50in TV showing Bollywood movies.

Time to go our separate ways, and off the land of nod. It a wicked evening and all the boys were a great laugh, I would recommend anyone who could possibly make it to come down and I promise you will have a great time, 10x better that that Tokyo lot! (hopefully this time I’ll try not to do side kicks on the train ¬_¬)

Right ok boys!

I will let you know about what the next will be. I'm pretty cool with dates, I think a Thursday would be good but if anyone has got anymore ideas then great. Maybe around the first week of August?

We will go for a couple of drinks in a great bar called Henry's with huge sofas and great cocktails and beers, this is by Leicester Square but we would probably meet at the same place.

After a few refreshments then we would head up north on the Northern Line to a place called Colindale where there is a HUGE oriental shopping mall. It’s a great place to visit in the day, and a great place to eat at night.

In the day they have got a supermarket with every oriental food/ sweets/ drink. In the day they have got a food court which is a square about 30 meters by 30 meters with loads of tables and chairs, surrounded by 20 different food bars from all around the east, (Japanese, Chinese, dim sum, Thai, Korean, Malaysian, the list goes on) and you get a huge meal for about a £5 max, but this is only in the day. Also they have got a Japanese book store (Adanmi), an arcade (lots of cool games) and loads of great restaurants!

You have to see this place to believe it’s in London. We would probably go to a great Chinese buffet place, which has got easily over 100 dishes in a huge center bit, and it’s nice and cheap, also the drinks are cheap too. Loads of sake!!!

Everyone cool with these plans?

StanLee
7th July 2003, 16:55
That was a great night! But Matt, you forgot to mention all the cute girls in the pub!

Your plan for Collindale is great but I can't take time off work in midweek. It will have to be on Saturdays. Also, the first week is fine but the second and third weekends I have my aikido summer course. 41hrs of training over 10 days. Ouchhhhhhhh!

Let me know what you all decide to do.

Stan

ScottUK
8th July 2003, 12:35
Is anyone going to the RedBull FlugTag in Hyde park on Aug 3rd?

Looks a scream...

http://www.redbullflugtag.co.uk

Scott

Mike Williams
8th July 2003, 13:41
TTT for the Flugtag - that looks like a riot.

As well as monthly Thursday night beers, we should really organise something on a Saturday so that our country cousins can come along. Have an open mat type thing followed by beers & food?

A trip up to Colindale sounds fun - but might be more of a weekend thing too - weeknights I generally don't get out of work until 7ish, and would probably prefer to stay reasonably central, to maximise drinking time.
:)

Cheers,

Mike

Mike Williams
8th July 2003, 13:43
Oh yeah, and Matt - next time, invite your colleague. I think you know the one I mean. ;)

Cheers,

Mike

fifthchamber
8th July 2003, 14:08
Hi Matt.
Nice write up mate! Professional style!.....Nice.
And I agree with you, a trip up north to Colindale is a good (And undoubtedly cheaper...If only slightly!) idea and you can have my name on the list for it!....I also agree entirely with Mike....You do NEED to introduce ALL the colleagues like that from your work to us....Just to laugh at our drooling faces if nothing more!
The Redbull thingie also sounds like a laugh....Up for that too!....And lastly (Finally!!) I think that it is also a good idea to get a weekend meet on sometime and try and arrange it so EVERYONE from here can get there for it, at least once off....I know that its already in the works as it were but I'm just bringing it up again (And why not!)......
Anything else?
Nope...........
Regards...

monkeyboy_ssj
8th July 2003, 15:20
Ok, juging by how people do work in the week and we would love for our bumpkin cousins to join us then we should make it a weekend think.

The Flugtag looks great, i'll see if i can get anything VIP from on of the radio stations sponsoring it.

It would be cool if we could meet up there, also the grass could aid in some mucking about too.

Also with the Colindale think it would be cool if i showed you guys all the good book shops like the Japan Centre and Mitskoshi.

Ok, we can do the Flugtag think next and maybe another saturday we can go for a tour and munch.

I'll ask Anna and some nice girls along, Short skirts or tight trousers?

Mike Williams
8th July 2003, 15:22
I look much better in tight trousers than a short skirt.

Cheers,

Mike

fifthchamber
8th July 2003, 15:28
Hi Mike..

I look much better in tight trousers than a short skirt.
.....Yeah, but its a real strain when you REALLY need to pee....I'm going for thigh-flashing myself....You should see my calves!
Hehehehe.....

StanLee
8th July 2003, 16:14
What is this flug tug thing. I can't open it.

Well the girls in short tight skirts would be good:D :D :D

Let me know of the plans.

Stan

monkeyboy_ssj
8th July 2003, 16:54
Basically it's where loads of people build flying machines and see how far they can fly before they hit the water, very funny!

it has to hold at least one person and have no electric or petrol motors.

you get some very funny looking ones, there is a flying Elvis this year!!

It would be a great piss up!

Mike, i ment the girls! (but still wear the tight trousers)

I prefer a skirt...keeps my nuts nice and cool.

laters

monkeyboy_ssj
8th July 2003, 16:57
repost - sorry

StanLee
8th July 2003, 17:05
I'll be up for that!

I trained as an aeronautical engineer!

Muttering to oneself "Gota dig out my notes and books on optimum runway takeoff length and efficient wing design..."

Nerd:D

monkeyboy_ssj
8th July 2003, 17:40
This is just to spectate.

you had to enter before May if you wanted to be in it.

but it's generally a good laugh, maybe we should do it next year.

Martin Adil-Smi
8th July 2003, 23:14
Sort of associated to this thread, but is anyone going to the V-fest at Weyland Park, Staffs?

ScottUK
8th July 2003, 23:29
but it's generally a good laugh, maybe we should do it next year. I tried to get a team together this year, based on a Japanese Zero fighter and a joblot of us pissing around with some quality MA on the runway before leaping to our collective dooms! :D

Picture John Belushi in the film '1941' mixed with his mute Samurai impression and you get the idea!

Next year...

Mike Williams
9th July 2003, 11:12
If Team E-budo is entering next years' Flugtag, count me in!!

Tangent time: no, I'm not going to the V festival, but I am going to this:

http://www.extreme-force.net/

Wembley conference centre, this Sunday. The biggest MMA event in the UK since UFC38 ("Brawl at the Albert Hall"). An awesome fight card. Can't wait.

Cheers,

Mike

Charlie Kondek
9th July 2003, 14:27
I wish I was in England with you guys! Waaah!

ScottUK
11th July 2003, 21:09
Matt,

There seems to be a fair bit o' interest - is it time to post a new thread and make the RedBull FlugTag an official meet-up and chat about Team E-Budo's UK entry next year? :D

Scott

StanLee
14th July 2003, 08:25
I'll give my aero notes and books a dusting off should I?

Stan:eek:

ScottUK
14th July 2003, 09:30
Anyone else definitely going?

monkeyboy_ssj
14th July 2003, 11:08
Sure thing Scott.

I'll post up some details that can be discussed in a new thread in a little while.

I think it will be a blast! or should i say crash...

ScottUK
14th July 2003, 11:59
We'll need a meeting place and a time - I've got a bit o' travelling to do so I need to prepare :D

Are we just watching the nutters or are we gonna have a keiko afterwards?

monkeyboy_ssj
14th July 2003, 14:14
The new thread is up and running, waiting for discussion :D

Cheers