PDA

View Full Version : Thousand Oaks, California?

John Lindsey
8th July 2003, 21:53
Anyone live there or near to it? I might be going out there for a job interview and wondered what the community was like. How is the martial art situation there?

Nathan Scott
8th July 2003, 22:24
Hey John,

I live about an hour South of there (just East of downtown LA). It would be cool to meet in person if you have time.

The only things I know of in that area is Dragon Books (or whatever they are called right now - not a dojo) and I believe, an Iwama Aikido dojo. I'm sure there are many other dojo, but most of them are probably pretty commercial.

Let me know what your schedule is like.

Regards,

RDFittro
8th July 2003, 23:14
Lindsey Sensei,
I am writing from TO right now. It's a nice area to work and live in.... However, it's a martial arts wasteland. Besides the dojo Scott Sensei mentioned there are a few TKD schools and I think there are some karate as well. Unfortunately for me there are no classical Japanese arts being taught that I know about. Of course, if you moved here... :)

A. M. Jauregui
8th July 2003, 23:30
When I think of Thousand Oaks I think of rural, wild fires, and 1/4 more to Santa Barbara but it is not that far from Malibu if you are not apposed to a bit of canyon driving.

It seems like a nice place to live if you do not be in the metropolis of L.A. But still within sticking distance.

Prince Loeffler
9th July 2003, 04:49
Originally posted by Nathan Scott
Hey John,

I live about an hour South of there (just East of downtown LA). It would be cool to meet in person if you have time.

The only things I know of in that area is Dragon Books (or whatever they are called right now - not a dojo) and I believe, an Iwama Aikido dojo. I'm sure there are many other dojo, but most of them are probably pretty commercial.

Let me know what your schedule is like.

Regards,

Hi Scott,

I thought you live in Hermosa ? I didn't realized you live that far.

John Lindsey
9th July 2003, 05:46
Thanks for all the info. BTW, I was born in Redwood City, which I think is farther up north near San Fran. This job will pay very well, but I have heard that buying a house can be very expensive.

How far is it to the nearest ski resort?

How bad is traffic in TO?

A. M. Jauregui
9th July 2003, 06:19
Mountain High in Wrightwood would be about 2 hours or less and Snow Summit in Big Bear is about 2.5 hours from Thousand Oaks. (Only minutes away for me *hehe*.)

Traffic on the I-5 is always not fun. I take 23 to the 1 or the 118 if I am planing ahead and know that I will be in that area.

John can you set it up so I can edit my posts after the normal 15 minutes - my typos... :cry:

Sekko
9th July 2003, 06:32
Never mind, tried to post map.:o

Nathan Scott
9th July 2003, 07:58
Prince,

I teach in Hermosa Beach, but live in San Gabriel. I know it sounds funny, but I found it necessary to drive 45 minutes to one hour each way to find the kind of facility I was looking for to teach in. That's a lot of driving. BTW, I called you back on your vmail the other day.

John,

TO is not a bad place to be, it seems to me. Nice area, and close to LA if you need to do business there. But you are pretty much stuck with the 101 fwy, which can be pretty bad anywhere during rush hour (or is it rush-half-day).

Everything here is more expensive, but then again, we get paid more in hopes of balancing that out. Also, when you move to SoCal, you have to prepare yourself mentally to drive 30 minutes to an hour to get anywhere you want to go. Lots of quality time in the car. I used to clean my gun and all kinds of things while driving (get a car with automatic transmission - driving with a stick here in stop and go traffic will kill ya).

But that's a whole other thread! ;)

Regards,

A. M. Jauregui
9th July 2003, 08:12
Aww, crap Nathan is right it is the 101 not the 5. All else in my posts holds true with that change. And I was just out there two weeks ago. :(

George Kohler
9th July 2003, 08:23
What will I do if you move there? I don't know if I can travel that far just for training :cry: