PDA

View Full Version : iaito

Uesugi Kenshin
8th July 2003, 21:59
Hello everyone, since i have my shodan test coming up, my sensei recomended that i purchase an iaito. So i was wondering, since I've never owned one before, what is a good quality iaito for under $1000 cdn. I was thinking about one of the iaito from www.samurai-store.com (http://) or one from nosyu, probably the 3003 model... if anyone has any oppinions or thoughts on a good iaito please let me know:D
Cheers. :toast:

Uesugi Kenshin
8th July 2003, 22:47
Sorry i messed up on the links.
http://www.samurai-store.com

kabutoki
8th July 2003, 23:44
hi !
just some more stores and swords to look at:

www.tozando.com

www.swordstore.com

happy shopping and do a search on e-budo for both stores to get some comments on both.

karsten

kabutoki
8th July 2003, 23:47
read your post again. you already know nosyu.
sorry
karsten

DCPan
9th July 2003, 00:10
www.e-bogu.com

www.bogubag.com

www.minosaka.or.jp

japanesesword.net

http://www.n-p-s.net/

Diane Mirro
9th July 2003, 00:39
Your sensei wouldn't by chance be a big guy, goes by the name of Jim? Tell him I sent a Texas "Howdy!" his way...

And did he have a recommendation on the source? It's most appropriate to go with what he recommends.

I'm just another one of those Swordstore/Nosyuiaido groupies--but that is based on five years of personal satisfaction with the company, plus the opinions of hundreds of other satisfied sword practitioner friends and acquaintances in several styles of Iaido and Aiki Toho Iai.

If you email Rick at Swordstore, he MAY have some reconditioned blades ready to ship out at a good price. And, the swords come with a one-year warranty--it is possible there may be a way to get a non-custom blade and check it out before ordering a custom job. And, believe me, for $1000 you would get QUITE a custom blade...

DCPan
9th July 2003, 00:50
Originally posted by Uesugi Kenshin
good quality iaito for under $1000 cdn.

WOW, at that budget, you can get almost all the expensive options!

Example: (you'll notice they are all cosmetic in nature)

Shinken-hi: The groove at the sword-tip end ends SYMMETRICALLY for a standard model (like the tip of a double-edged sword). However, for a high-end model, the end will curve like the kissaki. Much easier to show than explain.

Kakinagashi-hi: The groove at the habaki end ends inside the habaki rather than before the habaki (Maru-Dome).

Two-toned habaki

Kurigata-shitodome: A decorative cap where the sageo goes through the kurigata.

Kojiri

etc etc....

Function-wise, you should be able to get a decent sword for ~US$400...after that, it's all EXTRA :D

David "Can't see spending money for silk tsukamaki on an iaito"

Chiburi69
11th July 2003, 08:24
1000 for a Iaito save your money and buy a Criswell,its not Japan over priced junk its American made. Richie

Soulend
11th July 2003, 11:10
Rob Criswell doesn't make iaito.

Charles Mahan
11th July 2003, 16:54
Originally posted by Chiburi69
1000 for a Iaito save your money and buy a Criswell,its not Japan over priced junk its American made. Richie

And as you should know. There is a forum rule that all participants sign every post with their real name. It is best to add it to the Signature field in your personal profile which you'll find under the user cp button at the top of the screen.

gendzwil
11th July 2003, 17:10
Originally posted by Chiburi69
I doubt any traditional dojo would allow a Criswell to be used. For one thing, they mostly require iaito (dull blades) for beginners and intermediates. For another, the fittings on the Criswell are not traditional and the tsuka is too long for most schools. Lastly, for less than the price of a Criswell you can get a perfectly decent iaito with proper fittings that will last for years if not decades of practice.

Also for you 'murricans his budget is around $US700 so he's not spending as much as you think.

DCPan
11th July 2003, 17:53
Originally posted by gendzwil
Also for you 'murricans his budget is around $US700 so he's not spending as much as you think.

Well :D

I got a quote from someone for another custom job:

With kakinagashi hi, upgraded habaki, fuchi/gashira/kojiri of silver-plated iron (most expensive), silk tsuka (leather might be more), upgraded saya finish (okay, not same, but any of the better ishi-me is covered)...

All this and shipping from Japan was ~US$740.00. I didn't buy it because heck, might as well save for a shinken.

So yes, with US$700, he can pretty much get any option he wants on an iaito except the top of the line Nosyu Shinkensaku.

David