PDA

View Full Version : What is your favorite soda pop of *all time*?

A. M. Jauregui
10th July 2003, 06:27
What is your favorite soda pop of *all time*?

I was driving around the Los Angeles area and happened on Galco's Soda Pop Stop (http://www.sodapopstop.com/) which I read about in a magazine days before. This soda shop is known for is selection of old fashioned, rare, and foreign to America pops. They even have Moxie the soda that spawned phrases like she has some moxie. Btw: Moxie is synonymous with courage for drinking one take a bit of courage do to it horrid taste.

For me I would have to say that my favorite soda is Jones Co. Green Apple Soda. What is your favorite?

joe yang
10th July 2003, 07:06
Orange Crush

A. M. Jauregui
10th July 2003, 08:19
I saw that there but did not buy a bottle, maybe next time.

Looks a bit old school and after that Moxie I just did not want to experiment the vintage.

MarkF
10th July 2003, 09:46
Vernor's Ginger Soda, preferably in glass bottles. You can get it in cans and plastic, but it just isn't the same.

I practically lived on the stuff in the late fifties and sixites. I have some in the refrigerator now, but somehow, it just isn't the same.

A decent Sarsasparilla, by several makers, makes my list. Funny about orange sodas. From traveling, we seem to be the only country which actually refer to the flavor as orange. South of the US border, from Mexico to Uruguay, the flavor is called "orange," not the Spanish (or Brazilian) word for orange. They are surprised when you call it naranja. I have to agree. It may taste good, but it surely isn't orance except in color.

Also, Grape Nehi.

Mark

Soulend
10th July 2003, 09:50
Nehi Blue Creme soda when I can get it in the states. Overseas, any brand of ginger beer is the bee's knees.

A. M. Jauregui
10th July 2003, 09:57
Have you been to that soda shop, Mark? It is uncanny the shop owner told be the same thing near word for word about bottles over cans.

Vernor's Ginger Soda looks... Hmmm, interesting. (Ginger soda is generally way too strong for my delicate taste buds). But I will have a go at it next time I am in L.A. *Brave smile* :)

koma
10th July 2003, 10:11
Used to be Vess, Strawberry, can't find it anymore. Now it's Classic Coke, ( I know, it's bad for ya). When I was kid I really liked the Cherry Phosphates at the local Drug store fountain. That was a long, long time ago.

Genex
10th July 2003, 11:04
Vimto, made right here in warrington, always my fave. even when they brought it out fizzy.
i dont mind root beer though, but i'd say dandylion and burdock in the glass bottles we used to get from the drinks van (deliveries like milk)
pete

monkeyboy_ssj
10th July 2003, 11:59
Probably Lucozade, makes me run fast whenever i hear Iron Maiden.

(English Joke)

joe yang
10th July 2003, 14:26
Lemon phosphates, a nickle apiece, I had forgotten, and draft birch beer, and White Rock grape soda. But I stick by Orange Crush.

Anne
10th July 2003, 14:27
:D Tango: Orange & Pineapple :D

fifthchamber
10th July 2003, 14:36
Hi all.
The Spice Girls.

What do you mean they aren't "Soda Pop"?.......Fizzy, short lasting, and quite good to look at but nout else.....
Oh.....Wait....You mean drinks?....Well then...Pepsi Max....I waited years for them to bring out a sugar free drink that tasted good....And Diet Coke just don't cut it...Although the Vanilla variety makes a nice change now...That and Sugar Free Red Bull mean a Diabetic is never thirsty....Or sleepy!! Wa-hay!!!......
Actually...I think I will stick with the Spice Girls.....
Regards.

Shitoryu Dude
10th July 2003, 14:54
When I was a kid it was either Orange Crush or Grape Crush (did you know that drinking grape pop is a "sign" that you are a drug user to the military?), though at one time you could get Shasta Tiki Punch from the local Safeway. About 20 years ago there was a store I went to that let you mix your own flavors - I usually made either Peaches & Cream or Pina Calada.

Since then I have been a die-hard Mt. Dew drinker.

:beer:

aemon_
10th July 2003, 14:57
Probably RC Cola, or Dr. Pepper

later

J.T. Hurley
10th July 2003, 16:16
Jones Co. Pineapple Upside-Down Soda. Without a doubt the weirdest I've ever had, but also the best.

DMcGowan
10th July 2003, 17:06
Mello Yello...About a case and a half to two cases a week!!

BC
10th July 2003, 17:35
-Green River
-Dad's Root Beer
-Ginseng Rush

joe yang
10th July 2003, 17:38
And my favorite all time worst, grass jelly drink, eeewwww! :D

Bushi Jon
10th July 2003, 18:03
I realy like vess cream soda or fitz rootbear made in ucity. Vess can still be purchased on the web @vess .conm

Chrono
10th July 2003, 19:17
I remember years ago that when we went to Atlanta to watch a baseball game we stopped by the Coca-Cola place. They had a room where you could try nearly every type of soda in the world. There was even one that was believed to be a sort of medicine.

Anyway, my favorites are any Pepsi products.

Jon

BigJon
10th July 2003, 19:25
Sinalco or Orangina!

Jon Gillespie

aemon_
10th July 2003, 19:30
I remember years ago that when we went to Atlanta to watch a baseball game we stopped by the Coca-Cola place

yeah, i've been to the World of Coke too. the italian coke, called "Beverly" i think, is stinkin nasty!

later

A. M. Jauregui
10th July 2003, 21:32
JOhn are you sure about that vess website? The local shop seems to not sell vess of any type but the owners is willing to hunt down anything - he seemed like a nice guy and b/c of the popularity of vess shown here I bet he would be interested in stocking it.

cguzik
10th July 2003, 21:51
I am surprised no one has voted for Jolt.

(Gaack! I hate soda... can't stand the stuff... Gives me a headache)

Chrono
11th July 2003, 02:31
Originally posted by aemon_

the italian coke, called "Beverly" i think, is stinkin nasty!

You may be right because people kept saying that they didn't like it, and the guys that worked there said that we had to drink it fast.

Jon

icynorth
11th July 2003, 02:47
Coke Classic, would have it no other way

Mello Yello!!!!!:cry: YUUUKKKKK

PHILBERT
11th July 2003, 03:13
Dr Pepper.

Shitoryu Dude
11th July 2003, 03:34
You can certainly spot the good 'ol boys by their taste in pop. Nobody but nobody except Southeners drink Mello Yello or Dr. Pepper on a regular basis.

Y'all call your pop a 'coke' too, regardless of what the hell it is.

Bushi Jon
11th July 2003, 13:53
Hey A.M if you would like to know contact iformation about vess products e-mail me at Jonschaefer1@msn.com. I was raised with the owner grand kids in St Louis

adroitjimon
11th July 2003, 14:23
Jolt Cola...]

aemon_
11th July 2003, 14:57
Y'all call your pop a 'coke' too, regardless of what the hell it is.

not necessarily, i hate it when people say that. i want a pepsi, pepsi is not not coke, so there for its not coke, its a soda.

you used y'all??? now that i know is a southernism.

later

Markaso
11th July 2003, 15:04
Best Vernors Gingerale. Not sure if it is the same as the ginger soda the others were talking about but the writing on the bottle looks close to the same.

Next best ..... Dads Root beer!

Sweetest....... Mr. Pibb

Deamos
11th July 2003, 15:28
Well I have been thus far lurking and will continue to do so for a while as I am still going through a lot of the posts, but I just had to throw my two bottle caps in here..

Boylans Sugar Cane Cola.. If you can find it, try it. Sugar cane seems to be quite a bit different than Corn Syrup as a sweetner.

Sadly its not cheap havn't gotten them cheaper than about a dollar a piece but they are good.

Shitoryu Dude
11th July 2003, 15:33
Having lived in the deep south for a number of years, I can use "ya'all", "all ya'all" and "all ya'all's" properly ;)

Weirded me out when I first heard a waitress ask what kind of cokes we wanted. After all, only a coke is a coke, right? No, in Texas a coke was anything that wasn't liquor, beer, lemonade, iced tea or coffee - and sometimes the iced tea and lemonade were included as a coke. :confused: Of course, the most bizzare name for soda pop has to be Boston where they call it a "tonic".

A. M. Jauregui
11th July 2003, 20:57
Originally posted by BUSHI JON
Hey A.M if you would like to know contact iformation about vess products e-mail me at Jonschaefer1@msn.com. I was raised with the owner grand kids in St Louis

That is very nice of you but I do not email people. Thanks anyway.

Shitoryu Dude
11th July 2003, 21:29
What they call it and where:

The Pop vs Soda page (http://www.popvssoda.com/)

I still remember the first time I was in Texas and asked for a pop. The blank look I got was amazing.

For bonus points, who can tell me what a "cold pack" is?

Gene Williams
11th July 2003, 22:19
Gee, A.M., you mean you don't email anyone, ever? Wow! Are you just anti-social or really that much better than everyone else? :rolleyes:

A. M. Jauregui
11th July 2003, 23:04
Originally posted by Gene Williams
Gee, A.M., you mean you don't email anyone, ever? Wow! Are you just anti-social or really that much better than everyone else? :rolleyes:

I really am that much better then everyone else. :p

I do use email but am not going to use it in this instance.

A. M. Jauregui
11th July 2003, 23:13
Harvey, when you say cold packing do you mean the type of treatment that is used to kill bacteria?

Shitoryu Dude
11th July 2003, 23:35
Nope.

Back when I was a kid in Montana they would run specials on "cold packs" just about all summer long. It wasn't until I moved to Oregon that I discovered that outside of western Montana nobody knew what the hell I was talking about.

Iain
12th July 2003, 04:17
Vimto. 'nuff said.

Mekugi
12th July 2003, 05:32
Still made:
Souix City Sasparilla.

Impossible to Get:
Portland Soda, which was made with Oregon Grape and tasted awesome (unbelievable huh.)
Mazagran, which was put out by Starbucks and discontinued. A friend of mine had an entire hord of stuff in his basement and gave me a case. Outstanding time that was. It's sparkling water and espresso, BTW.

-Rawsty

Gene Williams
12th July 2003, 11:25
Dr. Brown's Cream Soda and root beer on tap:beer:

A. M. Jauregui
13th July 2003, 00:55
Originally posted by Shitoryu Dude
For bonus points, who can tell me what a "cold pack" is?

If it is not a process of killing bacteria, what is it Harvey?

Shitoryu Dude
13th July 2003, 01:32
A "cold pack" is a 12-pack of beer in cans. Don't know when it got started, but I believe it was part of an ad campaign by one of the breweries. They made these cardboard cubes that had a carry handle and they would fit in your fridge without any trouble. After that everybody got in on the practice and the name stuck. You can still go to Montana and see them advertised in the local papers.

sammycerv
14th July 2003, 06:37
Coke is it!!!

Gene Gabel
16th July 2003, 09:50
[QUOTE]Originally posted by A.M. Jauregui
[B]What is your favorite soda pop of *all time*?

Has to be White Creame Soda with A&W Root Beer a close second.

My yet to taste ,but sounds interesting, is "Havana Cola" made in South Florida.. Glass bottle with an old cigar box type of label. Sweetened with sugar cane. It is a cola taste with key lime for the kicker.

Sounds like something I would like.

Good thread

Gene Gabel

CEB
17th July 2003, 16:49
Save Surge (http://karks.com/surge/index.shtml)

avehnor
17th July 2003, 16:54
but i like caffeine free diet pepsi

Chrono
17th July 2003, 17:01
Originally posted by avehnor
but i like caffeine free diet pepsi

Caffeine free? Diet? I don't know about you, but I at least need some caffeine.

Jon

dirithtai
17th July 2003, 17:13
Originally posted by Shitoryu Dude
You can certainly spot the good 'ol boys by their taste in pop. Nobody but nobody except Southeners drink Mello Yello or Dr. Pepper on a regular basis.

Hey! I only drink Mello Yello cause its the only thing you can get south o the mason dixon that gives the propper caffeine rush...

And Dr. Pepper is the drink of choice for die-hard gamers everywhere, (met a guy in college who actually lined the walls of his dromroom in full cases...he played counterstrike more than he went to class).

And my favorite discontinued carbonated beverage? Josta. respect the panther.

-A yankee in unfreindly territory...

avehnor
17th July 2003, 17:20
Originally posted by Chrono

Caffeine free? Diet? I don't know about you, but I at least need some caffeine.

Jon

It's the taste. Something about diet soft drinks! Maybe it's the nutra-sweet >.<

Caffeine and I don't get along. :) But gimme ginseng, guarana, or whatever and I'm zooming!