PDA

View Full Version : Got Pictures?

MarkF
10th July 2003, 08:41
Post 'em here. Any photos of action judo, portraits, notables, old, new, anything remotely to do with judo, including modern or koryu jujutsu, BJJ, grappling of all kinds which relate to our "jacketed wrestling, etc.

I don't remember who this is, but I'm pretty sure it is from the Gardena Judo Dojo in Southern California.

John Lindsey
10th July 2003, 14:22
Here is one,

John Lindsey
10th July 2003, 14:27
My teacher, circa late 1970s

Starkjudo
10th July 2003, 14:40
Maybe I can find a good action shot one of these days......

RHH
10th July 2003, 14:58
The picture posted by Mark F. is of Isao Wada, Gardena Dojo throwing Tamo Kitura, Palo Alto Dojo during a match at a Senior Nationals in the 1950s.

Jerry Hays
Santee, CA

Starkjudo
10th July 2003, 16:14
Me hanging out in midair, from a demo we did last year.

Starkjudo
10th July 2003, 16:19
Rank test, December 2001. I'm one of the burry guys.

Jeff Cook
10th July 2003, 18:35
http://www.wabujitsu.com/wabujitsu/yamaarashi.jpg

A frame from an instructional clip for yamaarashi - I am the tori.

Jeff Cook
Wabujitsu

Walker
11th July 2003, 02:17
This is TRUE BUDO!
Toby is such a top...

CEB
11th July 2003, 02:35
The man who taught the man who taught me.

DustyMars
11th July 2003, 18:09
http://www.tnni.net/~dustymars/old3.jpg
Standing: Len Williams, Ed Mede, George Harris, John Reding
Sitting: Jerry Reid, Bill Moxley, Mike O'Connor

DustyMars
11th July 2003, 18:14
http://www.tnni.net/~dustymars/old4.jpg
Standing: Mel Bruno, ???, ???, Phil Porter, Ed Mede, Mike O'Connor
Kneeling: Roby Reed, ,???,Bill Moxley, Lenwood ("Big Sam") Williams
Sitting: ???, ???, Jerry Reid, George Harris

DustyMars
11th July 2003, 18:16
http://www.tnni.net/~dustymars/old5.jpg
Standing: John Reding, Lenwood Williams, Ed Mede,Roby Reed,Bill Moxley, ???

Sitting: ???, ???, George Harris , Mike O'Connor

Jack B
11th July 2003, 23:32
The boys.

MarkF
12th July 2003, 15:01
Hi, John,
I was confused of the one of your teacher as that guy had HAIR. Now I see the resemblance, though.;)

Jeff is still searching for names and places for people, I see. He always has pictures.

Rob,
I have one action shot of me which actually made the newspaper once, but I don't have it in a compatible display (there are some stills taken as though action shots when I was young, but one can see I'm actually doing two different throws with an accomodating uke). Not worth posting, really. I do have 16 mm (perhaps 8 MM, I'm not too sure until I find it) of my green belt test (sankyu then).

Here is a sketch or photo sketch, of Jimmy Bregman doing uchi mata sent to me by Joe Svinth (I like it because it isn't a photo).

MarkF
12th July 2003, 15:04
Now that I look at it, it probably is from a photo. This is lower res. to post it, but it is one of the nicer pictures. Notice his center? It is in his foot 9 (talk about centering, this is it). It jumps out at you.

Mark

Starkjudo
16th July 2003, 03:12
Mark, i've had the pleasure of seeing Jim Bregman do uchi-mata in person. I'm glad to see yu're still here with us :). Whe he does it it's just devastating looking.

Incidentally, at Camp Tomadachi down in Boca Raton two years ago, Bregman-Sensei grabbed my instrcutor, Chris Dewey, and asked him if he would uke for him for nage no kata. About thirty seconds later, they were done - and so was my instructor :).

Rob Thornton

MarkF
16th July 2003, 09:08
Hi, Rob,
I'll let you know when I'm not with you with an invitation to my cremation.

I've seen Bregman in action, too (did I say that all ready), and as Hand Ogawa said while watching the Canadian Nationals for the Sydney Games 2000 (he was 85 I believe then): "If I were twenty years younger I could beat those guys."

People always seem to have the wrong idea about kata. You can do it and devastate uke, and I have no doubt that is what he did.

I've posted this short description of John Cornish and Donn Draeger being admonished for a badly done throw at the moment Mifune-sensei stuck his head in the door. Let me see if I can find it. I've posted it before, but most geta kick out of it who haven't read it.

MarkF
16th July 2003, 09:21
Here it is: I believe this was during a telephone call which was recorded.

Both he [Donn Draeger] and I had done lots of kata, but still put in lots of training, mostly under Otani Sensei (then 8th Dan now 10th Dan). Mifune did look in one session of training. This may have been accidental or not. He did not say anything to us but, and admiral doesn't talk to the ordinary seamen and may have passed his thoughts down the ranks. When training with Matsushita we had help from the Kodokan senseis but also an expert at Nihon University. Sorry, but I forget his name. In one session this sensei made us go through nage-no-kata three times with full power. That meant ninety hard falls for me, then made us do one throw he didn't like fifty times. Next day I had little pinpricks of blood coming out of my pores where I had made contact with the mat. I tell this to show how serious the training was. In my years as a British national coach for kata I have, and still do, try to explain the demonstration of kata is not important, it is the training and what you learn from the training that counts. For so much of judo, kata is the only way that training in safety can be carried out.

Mark

PS: This isn't the full quote. The rest is simply Cornish looking for the paper, etc.

MarkF
16th July 2003, 09:30
Sorry for the multiple threads but I disagree with Cornish on the safety factor of kata. Kata practice is whatever you wish it to be, but doing it with form other than the form of the extras of kata, it can be devastating, or it can be a kind of randori which does follow kata in the way waza is performed. This too, depends on the kind of randori you practice.

I still like the story, though. Bleeding after doing nage no kata three times I'd say is pretty indicative of a hard session of that kata.

Mark

Ben Reinhardt
17th July 2003, 18:19
Here is a photo of our dojo at Idaho State University (Pocatello, ID).

That is me in the background standing.

Ben Reinhardt

http://www.isu.edu/stdorg/sports/judo/dojo-8-02.jpg

Starkjudo
17th July 2003, 18:43
That's a very nice looking dojo. We recently got tatami ourselves, with etherfoam underneath. Greatest thing since sliced bread.

Rob Thornton

Ben Reinhardt
17th July 2003, 21:23
Originally posted by Starkjudo
That's a very nice looking dojo. We recently got tatami ourselves, with etherfoam underneath. Greatest thing since sliced bread.

Rob Thornton

Thanks, Rob, it is very nice indeed!

I've tried to talk our head coach into putting crosslink foam under our tatami, but no luck so far. Fortunately, the floor is an old wooden one that is not on concrete. The flooring is in narrow strips (like an old wooden gym floor) and laid on some sort of beams. So it is supported but not spring loaded, and has some give to it.

Ben Reinhardt

stir
22nd July 2003, 17:10
Last year I was involved in a pilot project for Judo Ontario.
There were about 30 or so Ikkyu from the surrounding area that were invited to the Ajax Budokan Dojo. We attended the dojo once a week for 12 weeks. We were taught the first 3 sets of Nage No kata and were given a formal review of all the judo techniques that we should need for our Shodan. At the end of the 12 weeks, those who passed were given a conditional pass, which would be honoured once all other provincial requirements were attained. (1 year as a brown belt, points, etc) The passing grade is valid for 18 months.
The course was taught by Sensei Duncan Vignale (7th dan, standing left with the blue gi), and Sensei Dougherty (6th dan, standing at right).
I passed, but still need to finish getting my points.
I'm kneeling, bottom left, 2nd in. (shaved head)

http://members.rogers.com/stir-fry/images/12Week.jpg

stir
22nd July 2003, 18:22
They most definately have the best dojo i have had the honour of practicing in.
They have a very big floor and it's so very soft to land on.
The Dougherty's are very high class instructors as well, and are a treat to work with.
I only wish I lived in Ajax.

here's a picture i have on my desktop.. it is not me :)

http://members.rogers.com/stir-fry/images/uchimata.jpg

MarkF
23rd July 2003, 10:01
...It's not me.

Who is it, then?

As soon as I can get some pictures of last weekend's Junior Olympics, I'll post them here. It was a very well-run tournament, few injuries, very little time between matches and for the most part, well-called by the shinban and other officials. Oh, and some really nice Ippon, nage-waza, osaikomi-waza, and submissions by shime and kansetsu-waza.

Mark

stir
23rd July 2003, 13:53
Originally posted by MarkF

Who is it, then?

I can't remember where i found it, and i hope it's not copyrighted :) but it's a dood named Hyuk from Korea.