PDA

View Full Version : Wallpapers?

ScottUK
10th July 2003, 23:06
I'd have thought e-budoers are a creative bunch.

Anyone got any decent wallpapers?

I'm growing bored of my current one:

Flame (http://www.daedalus-graphics.co.uk/hosted/themaddog/images/other/a10flame.jpeg)

Scott

Shitoryu Dude
10th July 2003, 23:24
All of mine are rather "not safe for work" as the saying goes.

You can pick up some cool stuff at Astronomy Picture of the Day (http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/astropix.html) or Pop Culture Shock (http://www.popcultureshock.com/eyecandy.php?query=bydate)

:beer:

BigJon
10th July 2003, 23:56
Here is one that I used recently...

Jon Gillespie

Duff
11th July 2003, 03:38
I use a lot from Digital Blasphemy (http://www.digitalblasphemy.com/). I also have been known to use press realease photos from the Detroit auto show and previosly mentioned Astronomy pic of the day.

I currently have a WRX Sti racing in the snow as my wallpaper.

IchiRiKen1
11th July 2003, 04:19
Whatever happened to the cast of the Young Ones? I used to love that show!

I know that I have seen Rick in a number of films, but what about the rest? Anybody know anything?

Soulend
11th July 2003, 04:52
I have a couple nice ones of Japanese country scenery. Don't know if that's the sort of thing you're looking for though.

BigJon
11th July 2003, 05:22
Matt,

they have done other comedy shows together. 4 Men on a plane, 4 men in a car..etc.

I have seen a few things they did after The Young Ones, Mike was not involved in them (at least I think so)

Jon Gillespie

ps- Its funny to see Neil bald now...

StanLee
11th July 2003, 08:46
If you like anime, here's a good one.

http://www.animewallpapers.com/wallpapers/dragonball/full_1_1024.asp

Stan

Ronin055
11th July 2003, 17:36
This is the one Im using currently. I think that its because when I look at it and try to figure out whats going on it hurts my brain.

Soulend
11th July 2003, 17:58
Looks like he's trying to slay a tanuki.

william northcote
11th July 2003, 20:11
Originally posted by IchiRiKen1
Whatever happened to the cast of the Young Ones? I used to love that show!

I know that I have seen Rick in a number of films, but what about the rest? Anybody know anything?

After the bus exploded killing the young ones, they split and Rick Mayall, Ade Edmonson and Nigel Planer did a series in the 1980's called Filthy, rich, and Catflap.

After that had finished, Rick Mayall did the New Statesman on ITV while doing the Comedy Store in London with Adrian Edmonson. Nigel Planer did stage and still is.

in the early to mid 1990's Rick and Adrian did Bottom on BBC2. It was along the lines of the young ones, but more grown up. In the late 1990's they did a stage version of Bottom and released it on video. It was a success of which they have done more shows live with the same sort of mayhem as on TV (they keep the mistakes in as well :D ).

Look on e-Bay for Bottom live video or DVD's

kenshorin
11th July 2003, 20:19
Originally posted by Soulend
Looks like he's trying to slay a tanuki.

So a tanuki is a real animal? You can't believe how much I hurt my brain as a kid trying to figure out what the hell a Tanooki suit was supposed to represent (from Super Mario 3) I just had no clue, and seeing this post immediately made me think of SMB 3, Tanooki Mario, wtf? Nintendo spelling tanuki "Tanooki" is probably why I could never figure it out. Why not just call him a Racoon? Thats what he looks like... Yeah its been long day at work, sorry for the thread-drift. :)

william northcote
11th July 2003, 20:27
This is my wallpaper It is taken from the roadrunner website.

Had to resize it :)

Tripitaka of AA
11th July 2003, 20:33
Tanuki and Kitsune come up a lot in day-to-day Japanese. Like the different flavours of Ramen noodles. Raccoon and Fox, which have certain opposing and complementary characteristics ... or something.
They represent different qualities.

Other sybolic reference creatures would be the Tsuru (Crane) and turtle, which you'll find on cards and gifts to do with weddings. They are both thought of as having long lives, therefore "long life" to the happy couple.

Charles Mahan
11th July 2003, 20:39
Try http://www.dementia7.com/index3.htm

On the right hand side their is a box labeled Desktops. Click the Launch Gallery link. Some really nice stuff in there.

I'm currently using the one labeled D7 Patriot on page 3.

Tripitaka of AA
11th July 2003, 21:26
The Young Ones;

Rik Mayall (Rick) nearly died 4 years ago when he crashed his quad bike in a field near his house. Major head injuries. In the news this week as he just got a ban from driving for doing 113 mph down the motorway, on the way back from a scriptwriting session with Ade Edmondson. Easily the best known of the four housemates. But did you recognise him as a non-speaking extra in "American Werewolf in London" back in 1981.

Christopher Ryan (Mike the Cool Person), plays a regular character in "Absolutely Fabulous" (Marshall, Edina's ex-husband), which is written by Jennifer Saunders. Jennifer Saunders is married to Ade Edmondson. He also appeared in "Bottom". He played a dwarf in the 1985 movie "Santa Claus". He was in "The New Statesman" with Rik Mayall and also an episode of "Doctor Who".

Ade Edmondson (Vyvyan Basterd) used to be in a double act with Rik Mayall, they were billed as "The Dangerous Brothers", where Rik was Richard Dangerous and he was Sir Adrian Dangerous. They worked together at The Comic Strip comedy club in London and appeared in various TV programs made by a group of performers from that venue. At one time their act was known as "20th Century Coyote".

Nigel Planer (Neil Pye) never did have long hair (remember the episode where he says "Hey man, I never knew I wore a wig!"), and he does look extremely ordinary whenever we see him on TV these days. His list of credits is as long as the others, but I couldn't see any real eye-catchers :(

Hope this is of interest.

Ronin055
11th July 2003, 22:00
So why would he be trying to kill a tanuki?

Thats the part that kills my brain.

A. M. Jauregui
11th July 2003, 22:40
I am using a desktop from www.thetruth.com. There is just something too 1200 people playing dead in front of a tobacco headquarters to heighten anti-smoking awareness.

The black borders work well with wide screen monitors as well.

Tripitaka of AA
12th July 2003, 11:57
Why kill a Tanuki?

Not a definitive answer but...

Kitsune is a fox. Cunning and sneaky.
Tanuki is a raccoon, deceitful and prone to disguising himself as someone/something else. In various folk stories the weird stanger turns out to be a Tanuki in disguise. Perhaps this swordsman is catching the culprit red-handed...

Oh, and earlier I forgot the Japanese for Turtle. It is Kame (pronounced like the soap "Camay" ;) ).

Ronin055
12th July 2003, 16:50
My brain no longer hurts when looking at this picture. Now its even cooler.

Tripitaka of AA
12th July 2003, 20:45
"The effective way to fast relief from pain - Tripitaka of AA"

heatMiser
13th July 2003, 00:09
I'm using "Composition 7" by Vassily Kandinsky at the moment.

Fine art is easily found at any gallery site, following a google search. I can recommend any Abstract Expressionist artists, particularly colour field painters as great wallpaper.

Vapour
13th July 2003, 02:05
Tanuki (japanese racoon) and Kitune (fox) figure prominently in Japanese fork tale as something which trick human with all sort of humorous jokes as they have magical ability to morph into anything. To do their magic require a leaf and head flip.

Also if you go to japanese traditional restaurant, they occasionally have statue of tanuki with huge balls. There is even a song about it

Tan Tan Tanuki no Kintama wa
Kaze mo nai noni bura bura.

Translation - La La racoon's balls, without wind, swing left and right. :D It ryhme nicely in Japanese.