PDA

View Full Version : who actually likes Doc. Phil ??

Rogier
11th July 2003, 10:36
I just watched that show last night... is it just me or is he constantly stating the obvious and making a lot of money by doing so??

koma
11th July 2003, 11:12
That is exactly what he does. :p And he probably laughs all the way to the bank!!:laugh:

A. M. Jauregui
11th July 2003, 11:22
Originally posted by Rogier
...[Is] it just me or is he constantly stating the obvious and making a lot of money by doing so??

Yes, stating the obvious and kissing Oprah’s behind is what helps him make the $$$.

Shitoryu Dude
11th July 2003, 14:33
I had a little discussion about Dr. Phil with a head shrinker friend of mine a while back. Primarily I was upset that this dweeb was spouting off what was basically in many cases very dated or discredited advice.

Seems the psychology/psychiatrist community considers him something of a boob - operating outside his area of competency is how I believe it was framed. He has sold out and panders to a specific female demographic - primarily older, married, non-working, and not very engaged with their higher brain functions. His personal prejudices come through quite a bit and his comments on men could have been written by Andrea Dworkin.

Dr. Phil must die a horrible, drawn out, painful death on national TV for betraying the male half of the species.

:beer:

Ting Chuan
11th July 2003, 17:50
Howdy,

Oh yeah, he's kicked out of the guy club!
I like the 'words of wisdom by DR. Phil on late nite with Letterman.

Rob Acox

PHILBERT
11th July 2003, 19:06
Harvey has it on the nail. My mom watches the show, records it every day if she can't watch it and watches it later. She gets all offended when I walk in the room to ask a question and tells me she is watching it. I usually call him an idiot, stupid, immature and anything else I can think of. She thinks I should go on the show to discuss my "anger management problems", upon which I said I would simply call him an idiot on the show to his face and walk off the stage.

william northcote
11th July 2003, 19:44
Has this guy got a website or anything so a grade 1 idiot like me can see who this person is?

Shitoryu Dude
11th July 2003, 19:57
I think you actually need to see his show a few times (comes on before Oprah I think). When he first showed up on Oprah a few years back he was great: he skewered idiot women left and right for acting like total retards, but like any schtick it got old.

To make up for it he decided to give the world his version of "Father Knows Best" and other dated marital/sexual advice that was positively right out of the Victorian age. Except when he started in on men and what was wrong with them, which could have been scripted by NOW, Cosmo, Andrea Dworkin, or Gloria Steinhem. I am convinced that not only does he sit down to take a whiz, he asks permission first.

Tripitaka of AA
11th July 2003, 20:25
I think the UK contingent are missing the reference on this. Or he is only on Cable or something. We've only just begun to work out who Dr Ruth is.

I thought this thread was going to be about one of the E-Budo members. :(

Shitoryu Dude
11th July 2003, 21:39
Here is his website;

Dr. Phil - kissing his own ass so you don't chap your lips (http://www.drphil.com/show/cutw.jhtml)

A. M. Jauregui
11th July 2003, 22:07
Originally posted by Tripitaka of AA
I thought this thread was going to be about one of the E-Budo members. :(

Our Dr. Phil, Phil Farmer that is, is a smart guy that dishes out sound aikido (?) posts and advice. Imho, he is the superior of the Doc Phil(s).

william northcote
12th July 2003, 00:20
How to Talk to Your Teens
Smoking, drugs, drinking and sex. How do you discuss the tough topics with your child? Dr. Phil talks to a mom who has resorted to giving her son random drug tests, a 15-year-old with a secret life, and a 17-year-old who says she's not the horrible person her parents think she is.

OOOH riviting. Next PMT and fairy cakes.

What a nice amile he has, makes you want to punch it like you do polititions.

Iain
12th July 2003, 12:25
He's not a member of the APA, his 'advice' is fluff by any decent psychologists' standards, and he openly betrays the trust of his 'clients' by holding public court on their lives for his own financial gain. When people go to visit a psychologist (a real one), they often discover things about themselves -very private things- that they did not expect to find out; subjects like their sexual orientation, or a history of abuse from a family member. Despite his garbage advice and lack of any real skill at probing a persons mind, I dread the day when someone with a real problem comes on to his show and it comes out in front of a live TV audience. Finding out that your uncle raped you when you were two years old is exactly the kind of thing that can destroy a person, and having a useless turd like Phil around when it happens in front of a few thousand people is just about the worst situation I can think of.

The slackjawed hack shouldn't really even be calling himself a doctor. He may have a doctoral degree in psychology, but he cannot -due to the nature of his show- be a member of any professional association I know of. Subsequently, he cannot legally run a practice, write prescriptions, or do any of the other things a medical doctor can do. It's not technically illegal, but it is dishonest and misleading.

There is a special place in hell for self-important jackasses like this crackpot, bunk spewing, pseudo shrink, he-bitch, man-whore. To Phil I say; Die. Die screaming you sorry excuse for a human being. May your tongue turn purple, your bowels rot and your penis fall off.

Chrono
12th July 2003, 18:02
My mom acutally bought one of his books on tape and I tried listening to it, but it was so boring that I never even flipped the first tape over. And y'all are right, he does state the obvious.

Jon

Phil Farmer
14th July 2003, 15:18
I have been away at the Yoseikan World Federation Clinic in France, so imagine my surprise when I run across a thread entitled who likes docphil. For the record, I am not that doc phil. Okay, I have hair for one thing and I don't spout a bunch of quack, pop psychology crap to people. I do wish I could get paid what he gets paid, but I won't kiss what he is kissing so I guess I will remain a poor budoka. I am serious though, you guys scared the hell out of me with the title of this thread.

Phil Farmer (The Dr. Phil with hair, though not too much anymore)

william northcote
14th July 2003, 16:25
Originally posted by Chrono
My mom acutally bought one of his books on tape and I tried listening to it, but it was so boring that I never even flipped the first tape over. And y'all are right, he does state the obvious.

Jon

One thing you will not hear the Doc. Phil say on any of his brands: "Congratulations, you have purchased some psychoanalist mumbo jumbo. I can say this as you all feel inferior and need to have a life, while I sip Champangne in The Bahamas and getting fat from your self denial".

Jack B
14th July 2003, 17:43
What about Dr. Laura?

Shitoryu Dude
14th July 2003, 18:14
Dr. Laura also needs to be staked out over an anthill.

It would seem that her star is rapidly declining as most people have grown sick of her constant harping, shrew-like demeanor, and hypocritical bullsh*t. I for one was quite happy, and totally unsurprised, when several tell-all articles and books circulated about her a few years back. The reputation-damning nude pics of her taken by her boyfriend (sleeping her way to the top) while she was still married were a nice touch to the whole scandal. Her personal life has always been 100% at odds with her public self. She is a self-serving liar and cheat at heart.

Of them all, only Oprah herself pretty much seems immune. She actually appears to be a pretty nice person, though I don't care for her program or the religion that has sprung up around her.

Robert Cheshire
15th July 2003, 06:16
I have to say I was set to be defensive and write a strong reply when I first read the title of this post. Phil Farmer is my direct teacher, the President of our national organization, and on a committee of directors for the Yoseikan World Federation. Maybe I'm just a biased student and friend, but, I agree with most of his post. Yoseikan and aikido and budo in general for that fact are a way of life for him. He really can back the human behavior and psychology he writes about. I should know because he was one of my professor's at the University I went to.

The t.v. Dr. Phil does state a lot of the obvious. Of course, he makes a GOOD living at it and I work as a clinical social worker at a state mental hospital.

PwarYuex
15th July 2003, 08:09
Originally posted by Rogier
I just watched that show last night... is it just me or is he constantly stating the obvious and making a lot of money by doing so??

And he states, obviously, that he makes a lot of money by telling people something that I could.

"But I could say that". The point is that you didn't say it :D