PDA

View Full Version : have you ever lost a staring match before hajime?

adroitjimon
12th July 2003, 05:19
Winning the staring match is a good way to let you know just how
steadfast your opponents defenses are, in which case, never lose
a staring match, never blink an eye,never twich a muscle,donot
adjust your gi just stare straight into your opponents eyes
it really freaks people out ...Hajime! KIAAAAIII!!!a flying
double jump kick to the chest and as they hit the ground you
display proper form with a spinning heel stomp to the head...

the fight is over ! all there is left now is to run down the
clock ...but then the dude gathers a bit of courage and charges
aahhhhh!!!!he is then stopped by a front snap kick gedon borei
guakuzuki... AYAME!!!!! Stare em down and keep the there...

A. M. Jauregui
13th July 2003, 01:06
Not that I am a shiai regular but when I do have a go, I don not even look them in the eyes but instead try to see them as a whole. Also I usually have a closed lip smile on my face and am calming myself with deep nostril breathing. I guess one could say that my strategy is not to dominate them before the match but instead lull them into equanimity.

So far so good - I have never lost a match that I truly wanted to win.

Soulend
13th July 2003, 01:51
I never try to stare down. Only attack.

kenshorin
14th July 2003, 15:12
Originally posted by Soulend
I never try to stare down. Only attack.

Agreed. Staring only hurts the eyes. I have found in the past, when I stare, it ends up tensing me up for some reason, slows me down and wears me out. So I relax, let my eyes just focus on the person without staring, and whoop some serious @ss. :)

elder999
15th July 2003, 18:50
from Musashi's Book of Five Rings
In 1645 Miyamoto Musashi, one of the most renowned swordsmen of Japan said of the gaze:

The Gaze in Strategy

The gaze should be large and broad. This is the twofold gaze "Perception and Sight". Perception is strong and sight weak.

In strategy it is important to see distant things as if they were close and to take a distanced view of close things. It is important in strategy to know the enemy's sword and not to be distracted by insignificant movements of his sword. You must study this. The gaze is the same for single combat and for large-scale combat.

It is necessary in strategy to be able to look to both sides without moving the eyeballs. You cannot master this ability quickly. Learn what is written here: use this gaze in everyday life and do not vary it whatever happens.

That said, I avoid initial eye contact to avoid eye fakes, and if my gaze is "fixed" anywhere it's at the center of the opponents mass....

adroitjimon
16th July 2003, 05:40
AHAA!!! ELDER999... this is where I can use your experience
please if you will,enlighten me as to the knowledge you have
imparted...I have read the kendo book and the bokken book
both of which I purchased from Century and each of them
had references to Musashi please if you would instruct young I
as to where I can find more material of said masters dialogue...

avehnor
16th July 2003, 20:25
if i smile, it throws them off. the smile is a fake one of course... but here they are expecting some sort of intense "i'm going to kill you" look and they get... a smile. that and i'm short, and "cute", so it throws people off. :) a distraction.