PDA

View Full Version : Yoshio Sugino Sensei

Moriki
12th July 2003, 08:45
Hi all,

Does anybody have the Katori Shinto ryu lineage of Yoshio Sugino sensei?
Did he train under Shuri no Suke Yasusada?

All the best

fifthchamber
13th July 2003, 15:36
Hello Brian,
From the BRDJ it would appear that he studied under the 18th Headmaster Shuri no Suke Morisada, and his students....The line seperates from Shuri no Suke Yasusada after Morisada. There are five listings shown, the Yamaguchi line goes through Shuri no Suke Kinjiro and Yasusada to Otake Risuke, while the Sugino line is another break off of the five....
Hope that helps some.
Regards.

Moriki
13th July 2003, 20:36
Cheers Ben,

I have heard that the Sugino line is not recognised by the current Soke or by Otake Sensei, but obviously the Sugino line must be legit if Sugino Sensei has a proven lineage, maybe its another `political` situation?

yours

ulvulv
13th July 2003, 21:10
Do a search on this forum on "otake" and "sugino", and read the threads. I guess some answers are there, and It would be interesting to hear which questions you would like to ask after having read this material.

I heard once that the late sugino sensei was asked by ueshiba sensei to take over as the head of aikido, as he considered his own son not good enough, but he declined, wanting to focus on carrying on the tradition of tskr.

Moriki
13th July 2003, 22:08
Do a search on this forum on "otake" and "sugino", and read the threads. I guess some answers are there,

Thanks,

Just had a quick look, the bits I read seemed very interesting. I`ll have a good read tomorrow and I`m sure it will answer many of my questions.

yours

Jack B
14th July 2003, 16:50
Apparently Morihei shopped around his family art to several budoka, including Sugino, Mochizuki Minoru (also a student of TSKSR), and the Kendo master Nakakura Kiyoshi. Nakakura actually married Ueshiba's daughter Matsuko and took on the family name, but divorced after five years and returned to Kendo.

ulvulv
14th July 2003, 22:44
Originally posted by Jack B
Apparently Morihei shopped around his family art to several budoka, including Sugino, Mochizuki Minoru (also a student of TSKSR), and the Kendo master Nakakura Kiyoshi. Nakakura actually married Ueshiba's daughter Matsuko and took on the family name, but divorced after five years and returned to Kendo.

didnt mochizuki minoru receive 10 dan karate from gogen yamaguchi, and 10. dan judo from kano? Is he still alive?

JimmyCrow
15th July 2003, 04:12
Roar

Mochizuki Minoru Sensei died this past May in France. He was 95 years old.