PDA

View Full Version : strikes in koryu

cybermaai
14th July 2003, 02:36
From what (little) I have read, I see that koryu taijutsu deals primarily with jujitsu-type techniques, which is obvious, as they work well against people wearing armor. Have any ryu focused on/ emphasized strikes, ala karate or the Chinese styles?

tommysella
14th July 2003, 06:31
Well...That would be Tenjin Shinyo-ryu. It uses a lot of atami-waza...

Regards,
Tommy

Steve Delaney
14th July 2003, 08:44
Yagyu Shingan ryu uses quite a bit of atemi as well as Takenouchi ryu.

Mike B. Johnson
15th July 2003, 08:00
Hi,

As I understand it Shindo Yoshin ryu includes a considerable cirruculum of atemi waza. It was this facet of the art that led Hironori Ohtsuka to combine it with Okinawan Karate to create Wado ryu jujutsu kempo.

glad2bhere
15th July 2003, 13:04
Dear Ted:

I had a recent insight into this question following a discussion on another Net. In this case the discussion focused on the role of strikes and kicks as a method of setting up for a manipulation, throw or lock. The premise was that strikes were the exception rather than the rule and that manipulations, done properly, should work without striking and kicking. I then took the time to review the tapes I have of GM Myung as well as the training tapes for the Korea Hapkido Federation. Even where such strikes and kicks are not actually represented as an integral part of applying the technique it was plain from the instructors body motions that a preparatory strike or kick was a habitual response in the overwhelming number of techniques presented. FWIW.

Best Wishes,

Bruce

Joseph Svinth
16th July 2003, 02:19
What looks like a punch may represent somebody holding a tanto with its blade along the forearm. Truncheons can be held similarly.

In this case, elbow techniques that look similar to muay Thai can be used to generate penetration power. Remember, even if the target is not fully armored, he could very easily be wearing padded silk or chain mail armor. Thus, significant power is required to ensure penetration.

Eric Ling
16th July 2003, 04:54
Originally posted by Daniel Lee
Yagyu Shingan-ryu, mentioned above, shares some similarities to Chinese Bajiquan, and uses probably the most strikes of an historical japanese body art though.

Hi Daniel - o hisashiburi.

Would you elaborate on what you feel are the similarities between YSR and Baji?

Cheers

Eric

cybermaai
25th July 2003, 02:29
Thanks for all the thoughful replies. Actually, I have found an answer to my own question while rereading an essay by Meik Skoss called, "Jujutsu and Taijutsu." The essay can be found in the articles section of the Koryu.com web site.

Shinobi
28th July 2003, 18:12
Daniel what are the kanji for kari-ate and shin-no-ate? The ate I know, the "kari" and "shin" I only have a idea but not sure as I have never heard them before.

thanks in advance,
Eric

Daniel Lee
29th July 2003, 01:20
Eric,

I hope you can see these on your OS. The kanji are ‰¼ác?E‰¼“–?@(kari-ate) and áÁ”Vác?E?^”V“–?@(shin-no-ate), with the former the more archaeic, pre-war kanji, and the latter in more popular current usage.