PDA

View Full Version : starting late

ericDZR
19th September 2000, 21:34
i was wondering if any judoka have some advice for someone starting judo relatively late. in 29 and i've been studying Dan Zan Ryu JuJutsu for a little over a year now. in the past we've done some judo style randori on occasion to help with our nage. since then i've become more and more interseted in getting into judo as well. i love the competitive/mental side that's missing from our normal Jujutsu practice. my left knee isn't in the best shape and my back is a bit tweeked from other sports and ma. any advice on what i should look out for aside from a large dose of humiliation would be appriciated? mahalo.

Ben_Holmes
20th September 2000, 06:38
Go slow, and don't be afraid to not "keep up". I see more adults drop out because they try to keep up with the younger crowd, or the adults that have done it half their life... and instead of starting slow, and building up into it, they drop out.

There's exercises that I just won't do... I'm in my 40's, and my catalog of injuries would make me sound like a hypochondriac... but I just don't do neck bridges anymore, and go easy on stuff that stresses my knees. Since I'm a black belt, no-one says anything, but the color of your belt doesn't matter. If anyone questions you, just explain... that should be the end of it.

Judo is simply hard anyway you do it, but you don't have to be a 'kamikaze' in practice. Slow down, and go for the long-term.

Anyway, that's my advice, and it's worth exactly what you paid for it. Good luck!!

efb8th
21st September 2000, 13:43
Hi, Eric.

I got a late start at Judo, too. Fortunately, it was at age 17. Looking back over the last 33 years, I would say that Master Okazaki's sutemi waza is what prevented the TOTAL ABSENCE of serious injury during that time (nothing worse than a sprain in 20 years of playing Judo). When I first started, DZR was heavily involved in Judo Shiai (I still have my AJJF Judo Sankyu Certificate).

My Sensei, Ben Patterson, was a real stickler for detail when it came to rolls and falls. I am convinced that saved my life at least twice that I know of and probably many more times. DO NOT NEGLECT YOUR FALLS AND ROLLS! I can't say it any plainer than that.

Have fun!

ericDZR
25th September 2000, 23:09
hey thanks for the advice. friday was my first night and it was super fun. i was also pleased to find out that my jujutsu training served me very well. i was so sore the next day but it was the good kind of sore that let's you know you had a good workout. thanks again!

kyle
29th September 2000, 07:40
Hey,
I am always new!
I have been doing Judo on and off for a couple of years, and when I am doing it I love it! I am still a white belt, but that is my own fault. My advice is:
1. NEVER miss practice! I have missed alot and pretty much start new over and over, plus I have to get back into judo shape again over and over. Once you get past the initial soreness its great. It seems that no matter what kind of work outs I do, running, push ups etc, I still get sore as heck when I start out again.
2. Take it easy. Dont feel like you have to keep up with the younger guys (or older guys!) who have been doing it for years. They will understand!
3. Have FUN!
4. Work with as many different partners as possible. One time I was working on some throws with this small female. She got mad at me because I wasnt throwing her as hard as I should. I couldnt understand what she was saying(I am in Italy and go to an Italian club, and know very little Italian). Then when we went to ground work it took everything I had to NOT get choked out by her. I out weighed her by around 80 lbs!
5. Get some good videos for inspiration, and some good books too. Personally I love the 101 Ippons tapes, they really get ya going.

Also, the judo list is a good resource.

If you want to correspond with a perpetual beginner, write me at kcooper@goldnet.it

Kyle Cooper

MarkF
29th September 2000, 08:22
The funny thing about running, pushups, etc., to get into shape for judo is that you get pretty good at running and pushups, but are still sore after a judo class, and tire easily even though you can run/jog ten miles in your sleep. Good, solid randori is really the best way to get into shape for judo, and staying soft, using your strength in short bursts only when needed, and almost always in your hips and shoulders. Maintaining a "hard" stance is what tires most people. Lots of stretching, balance exercises, "judo" pushups, and minimum effort and maximum efficiency, time heals all. Don't push to keep up. Know your limits. It'll come.

Mark

Aaron Fields
29th September 2000, 17:36
Yep,

Conditioning, practice, good ukemi, practice, relaxation, and yes, more practice and all will be well. Most of all have fun.