PDA

View Full Version : Book of five rings for business?

drDalek
15th July 2003, 21:38
I find the practice of taking books and writings like the art of war and the book of five rings and adapting them for business men to be absolutely vile.

I dont think that these writings have anything to do with business. The ideas and ideals that business are built around clearly come in conflict with the ideas and ideals of budo.

To think for a moment that some coked up yuppie is taking the writings of an ancient japanese psychopath with a 3 foot straight razor and using them to improve his day to day business is disturbing. Disturbing in exactly the same way that inmates down here are getting kali lessons and psychological background checks are not yet mandatory for gun ownership.

I realise that I might be blowing open an entire hornets nest of conflicting opinion but I want to hear some other thoughts about this.

PHILBERT
15th July 2003, 21:48
I bought the Book of Five Rings for Business a few years ago, never read it. I got it at Barnes and Noble for like $4.

elder999
16th July 2003, 00:43
Wayy back when, when the Japanese were kicking opur asses economically, using Total Quality Management or "TQM," something invented by an , somebody got the idea that they were using a Book of Five Rings for business strategy. Maybe some of them were......
....and maybe they just [B]said they were to f#ck with CEOs heads!

Shitoryu Dude
16th July 2003, 00:48
Trust me on this, TQM is a very old and quite well understood system, even here in the US. It just took someone else to hit us over the head with it for most CEOs to understand that it was important. Quality Engineers have for decades been trying to shove it down the throats of management.

But when you have a closed market and the prices are "cheap", nobody cares if you turn out junk because that is all that is available.

:beer:

Jock Armstrong
16th July 2003, 00:55
It was just a marketing ploy.

Amos Smith
16th July 2003, 20:48
IMO the ethical application of strategy may be positively applied to any aspect of your life.

Amos

Jock Armstrong
17th July 2003, 01:13
In general terms maybe.If you try to use TBOFR you'll go out of business real quick. It is notcompatible with busines thinking.