PDA

View Full Version : UK Heatwave - your tips on coping with humidity

Tripitaka of AA
16th July 2003, 22:44
We invented the "four seasons in one day", but just occasionally we have a period of sustained heat that catches us all unawares. Right now the UK is experiencing a whole week of 25+ degrees Celsius (70-ish Fahrenheit).

You guys from hotter places, how do you cope?
What about the Dojo training?
How do you get a decent night's sleep?

aemon_
16th July 2003, 22:47
sorry, not to be rude, but 70 degrees is paradise!

later

Tripitaka of AA
16th July 2003, 22:48
Oh alright Steve, put this in the Budo and the Body forum... I know you want to! But at least this way it will get more views first ;)

Shitoryu Dude
16th July 2003, 22:55
70 degrees is usually considered quite balmy. Call back when it hits 100.

:beer:

A. M. Jauregui
16th July 2003, 22:56
Things that just about everyone can do to keep cool are drink a lot of fluids, find or make shade (outdoors is preferable as you might find a cool breeze), and take a few quick showers throughout the day (a bath would work as well but I hate them so).

As for the dojo and training the consumption of fluids are vital plus a moist washcloth tucked into one’s dogi is generally useful.

If one has the means a climate control system for one’s home and dojo is the way to go.

elder999
16th July 2003, 23:00
25 to 30 centigrade is about 7 to 86 fahrenheit.

Not hot at all, even in New York, where we got 98-98 days....98degrees(37 C) and 98% humidity....ugh!

HEre in New Mexico it's been over 100(38+C) all week-no humidity-more comfortable, tough it'll still kill ya!

Drink lots of water, go swimming, complain........:mad:

Steve Williams
16th July 2003, 23:10
Originally posted by Tripitaka of AA
Oh alright Steve, put this in the Budo and the Body forum... I know you want to! But at least this way it will get more views first ;)

Its not about the body..... its about the weather ;)

Steve Williams
16th July 2003, 23:11
Heatwave over now anyway....

It rained today :(

But it was nice :)

That was your summer, hope you all enjoyed it :D

Steve Williams
16th July 2003, 23:13
And my new dojo venue has air conditioning anyway :) :D

A. M. Jauregui
16th July 2003, 23:32
Wow, summer has it ups (cute attire) and downs (its hot) but I believe that giving the choice I prefer that the summer season last a few months as it does in California. A few days out of the year is simply not enough.

Anyway Steve, 3 posts in a row, stop the post whoring pal. Think before you post and edit-in additional thoughts if within the 15 minute time allotment.

Soulend
17th July 2003, 01:06
70 degrees...bwahahahahaa..that's frigid!

Anyway Steve, 3 posts in a row, stop the post whoring pal. Think before you post and edit-in additional thoughts if within the 15 minute time allotment.

And he's a moderator, Ana, which means he has no time limit! :D

ScottUK
17th July 2003, 09:28
I think the weather's fine here, but then again, I haven't long been back from my hols in Palm Springs, USA (bloody scorching!).

Scott

StanLee
17th July 2003, 10:20
My thinking is that if the weather's hot, there's only so much clothing one can take off before getting arrested. But if the weather is cold (i.e. freezing cold) then one can apply as many layers as possible.

I hate hot weather, my DOGI gets completely soaked even before the middle of training! Mind you, it makes it harder for others to grip onto my wrists and arms in practice!:D

Thank the big guy above for rain!

Stan:D

KhawMengLee
17th July 2003, 11:03
Stan you big wuss! This is nothing! Come back to malaysia and hong kong and we'll give you a good reason to sweat. haha! naw, this heatwave is not bad actually.

For those not used to it, rehydrate and take some salt pills.

Amir
17th July 2003, 11:19
Above 30 degrees C, with at least 60% humidity is the normal summer state.
The solution has a very simple name : air-condition

Amir

Tripitaka of AA
17th July 2003, 11:39
I feel suitably humbled. Now I understand why you guys always order the Asbestos Dogi.

Silly ol'England just doesn't get hot'n'sticky enough to qualify. Shame on us ;)

But thanks for your comments anyway. As Steve mentioned, the big guy with the watering can has actually made this thread redundant to an extent. :D

Steve Williams
17th July 2003, 19:01
Originally posted by A.M. Jauregui
Wow, summer has it ups (cute attire) and downs (its hot) but I believe that giving the choice I prefer that the summer season last a few months as it does in California. A few days out of the year is simply not enough.

I got to agree with the "cute attire" ;)

As for "post whoring"......

I have been here for 3 years, and have over 1600 posts....
You have been here for 1 month and have over 300....

Now who is the post whore?? ;) :) :D

A. M. Jauregui
17th July 2003, 20:15
Not me love, 99% of my posts are one at a time. :kiss:

I just have an extensive range of interests which make it easy to post several times a day. BruceB, I am not.