PDA

View Full Version : What is Tollie?

A. M. Jauregui
17th July 2003, 02:59
What is Tollie?

I meet a British girl a while back that referred to herself as Tollie. I did not get the chance to ask her what Tollie is short for or what if not a name what it refers to.

Tollie? Does anyone have any idea.

Vapour
17th July 2003, 04:54
Tory party = Conservative party. It's a british thing.

http://65.107.211.206/history/Tory.html

A. M. Jauregui
17th July 2003, 06:07
I definitely did not even consider that Tollie (a spelling which I know is correct) would equate to or be a reference to the Tory Party (I knew about the party but thanks for the link).

Learn something new everyday. :)

Tripitaka of AA
17th July 2003, 11:55
I checked through five Baby Name books (one of the things you end up collecting when you are sitting around for months watching your wife get improbably large), none of them mentioned "Tollie". A couple of them had "Tolly", as a diminutive of "Bartholomew"... for Boys.

I cannot see a connection to Tory. Proclaiming yourself to be a Tory supporter used to be one of those taboo practises - even when they were the ruling party for 18 years, people would generally only admit to being a Tory if they were a fox-hunting, moustache-wearing jingoistic pro-hanging landowner.

I wonder if she might have said "Totty" or "Tottie", which is a descriptive term describing someone worth looking at. In the sense of "Phwoarrr, look at all that Totty" when spoken by a hormonally charged young male on the hunt for a mate. Describing oneself as Totty might be a little conceited, as it is usually a compliment to be granted by an unrelated observer.

"Dottie" is a rather seldom used informal name, a derivative of "Dorothy", which has itself fallen out of comon usage.

Who knows these days. People make up names out of anything and spell them however they choose. It must be a nightmare at school, those poor teachers.

Soulend
17th July 2003, 13:19
Maybe she meant to say 'Trollie'..
http://store2.yimg.com/I/trollville_1737_5168336
Just a thought...

StanLee
17th July 2003, 13:42
I was going to say what David said.

OI totty! You single?!
:D :D :D

A. M. Jauregui
17th July 2003, 13:48
The girl in question most definitely was not a troll - rare thoughts of “pinch hitting“ for the other team crossed my mind... I have been told that I am quite a beauty, this girl is the definitive beauty...

I am going to have to tracker her down just out of curiosity as to what Tollie signifies before she heads back to the UK - I will see if I can get a contact for you British boys. ;)

This reply does not me don’t tell me if you know what Tollie means.

Bushi Jon
17th July 2003, 14:20
Tracking her down would be called stalking :)

elder999
17th July 2003, 17:46
TOLLGATE KEEPER /TOLLIE/TURNPIKE KEEPER....A person who worked at the toll gate to collect fees for use of the road.
...from a ditionary of British slang.....

incidentally, some believe-erroneously- that the word "toll" and the word "troll"have their roots in the same antecedents....trolls lived under or near bridges, and collected fees for allowing crossings...
So maybe she was saying she was a "troll.":p

A. M. Jauregui
17th July 2003, 20:39
Aaron that makes the most sense.

Jon absolutely right, but she seems to hang out at my favorite club so I just need to keep an eye out not bounty hunt this girl down.

Nyuck3X
18th July 2003, 01:00
Hello Tollie.
Yes, hello Tollie.
It's so nice to have you back where you belong...

Sorry. I couldn't resist.

A. M. Jauregui
18th July 2003, 08:42
Sorry, I do not know the reference.

Soulend
18th July 2003, 10:01
The song 'Hello, Dolly' from the musical of the same name. Based on 'The Matchmaker' by Thornton Wilder.

Tripitaka of AA
18th July 2003, 12:28
Think Louis Armstrong singing to Barbra Streisand. A big production number with dancers dressed as waiters, Victorian costume turn-of-the-century, Hollywood Technicolour.

All that, just because she went upstate to Yonkers for a few months, big deal.

I hope we get to see a picture of this delightfully named beauty :) my curiosity has been roused.

Nyuck3X
18th July 2003, 22:58
Sorry Ms. Jauregui.
You must be younger than I thought. :D

In German the word toll can be used for precious.
Example: Deine kinder ist toll. (Your child is precious.)
Could Tollie be a cutsie nickname for Precious?

Just speculation.

Peace

Tripitaka of AA
19th July 2003, 09:23
And if you ever thought that a name could convey more than at first glance, just check out "Nyuck3X", the avatar and the sig. This chap has really thought about his role models...

Larry slaps Moe. Moe pulls his arm back to strike Larry with a two-finger eye-jab, but elbows Curly in the face. Curly swings a slap at Moe, who ducks beneath it. The slap hits Larry. All in less than a second. :mad: :) :eek:

Nyuck3X
19th July 2003, 16:39
Thanks Mr. Nobles.
I come here for fun and to exchange ideas.
I have too much serious drama in my personal life.
A serious sig just isn't my style...

I always felt that the Stooges were unparralled in accuracy,
timing and focus. All good qualities in a Budoka. In the end
no one ever got hurt. Again, another good quality for Budoka.

Peace.:cool:

A. M. Jauregui
20th July 2003, 09:05
Originally posted by Tripitaka of AA
I hope we get to see a picture of this delightfully named beauty :) my curiosity has been roused.

David you have asked, so I had to deliver. ;)

http://www.geocities.com/picsonebudo/tollie.txt

I must say that the PDA / cell phone captured image does not do her justice but it does provide a general idea. She is 5’6” - 5’7” and I would say about 120 lb with the majority of the weight in the places you guys like. A lovely girl but also an 18 year old at a 21 and over club :nono: . I have a way of getting people to spill their guts... :cool:

The answer to the great mystery of what is Tollie, is that it is her last name.

Tripitaka of AA
20th July 2003, 09:48
xxxx Tollie, but of course, why didn't I think of that. I hope she won't mind you posting her picture. You say some nice things about her, but not everyone takes to public exposure.

"you asked, so I had to deliver"

Have we seen any pics of your lovely self yet Ana? I have perhaps not been paying attention... ;)

A. M. Jauregui
20th July 2003, 10:21
I am sneaky David, I told her that I am going to do whatever I want with her picture. To which she said, “no worries love.”

Now that you have seen it, I am going to sever the link... ;)

As for pictures of me, maybe soon. I have scanned two were I am wearing a borrowed Rose Court coronet that I mentioned in Charlie’s math thread.

Tripitaka of AA
20th July 2003, 12:18
;) :D :D :D