PDA

View Full Version : Budo and all it entails.

RobertW
17th July 2003, 02:40
I follow a strict code of conduct as a Budoka. I feel that those who do not are not true Bugeisha. Regardless of what a student practices, we always have to show the same respect for people as if we are at a tournament or a seminar and they are standing right in front of us. I have been a member of this forum now for only a few months, and I have seen quite a bit of rude comments and pointless bickering. I have also seen some excellent threads in which proper etiquette and debate is followed. I am sure that there are those out there who ignore the people who find it necessary to run at the mouth with the rudeness. Usually, I am that kind of person, but with some of the stuff I am reading here, I don't know.

Thoughts? smash :smash:

hectokan
17th July 2003, 11:52
Right on brother!fight the power!

What amazes me is how certain individuals are allowed to continue posting on this forum with out any significant consequences.He must be a guard member of the okinawan royal palace.

Jock Armstrong
18th July 2003, 00:24
Its because most people are good people [including the moderator] and loath to ban anyone. Even idiots. Mind you, it's good to be reminded how stupid some people are. When you hang out with the cream you tend to forget about the curds...........

Nyuck3X
19th July 2003, 01:44
Robert,
I agree. I try to conduct myself in private life as though I
were in the dojo. Part of it is because of my training
and part of it is for my boys sake. I've even stopped
flipping people off in the car because I may end up wanting to
teach them some day.

There are characters here that I disagree with but
I bite my tongue and forbid myself from posting an entry.

As I get older (43) I've learned more about repercussions.
I had a heart cathetor last year and it made me very introspective.
In the end, all you take with you is your reputation.

Peace.

By the way, are you affiliated with Hertan Sensei?

Goju Man
19th July 2003, 12:42
Originally posted by Nyuck3X
Robert,
I agree. I try to conduct myself in private life as though I
were in the dojo. Part of it is because of my training
and part of it is for my boys sake. I've even stopped
flipping people off in the car because I may end up wanting to
teach them some day.

There are characters here that I disagree with but
I bite my tongue and forbid myself from posting an entry.

As I get older (43) I've learned more about repercussions.
I had a heart cathetor last year and it made me very introspective.
In the end, all you take with you is your reputation.

Peace.

By the way, are you affiliated with Hertan Sensei?

I do, too. I don't answer because of an ego thing, well maybe sometimes, but an important point is this. There are many new people in the martial arts that come on here all the time and don't know when someone is full of it or trolling, so I like to set the FACTS straight so they can see. I agree with you on the rest.

RobertW
19th July 2003, 17:20
There was only one other thing that I want ot say. I have been training now for the last 18 years, I am 34. I have seen alot of things in Dojos, but i have never seen someone get away with this kind of talk. I know we are all in agreement on the lothing to cause controversy by reacting, but in a way, is this not a kind of "on-line seminar"? And, if it is, is it not sort of a "virtual dojo" in a way? I mean obviuosly our seniors here cannot issue virtual squats ( I prefer squats to push ups most of the time - no one messes with you in class after 200 squats presided over with a Shinai), but what can they do? Maybe rather than one moderator there should be a rotating board of directors of 4 guys. Then Ted does'nt have to do it all.
Ideas?

bruceb
19th July 2003, 18:54
Your emotional rescue ... budo.

How weird ... I am listening to the radio and the song on right now is 'The Rolling Stones' doing "Emotional Rescue?'

Anyway .... part of training is to learn to control those emotions, or at least, get on top of that bucking bronco and ride that horse! Trying to become a human being in the first thirty odd years of your life, then becoming older and somewhat less than physically dominant in your late forties/ early fiftys forces you do become a human being, but with all your training in budo, it should happen before your body gets that old, shouldn't it?

I don't know. I am that old.

No matter...cause it doesn't matter how much you talk to someone, or how many lessons they have had in their lives, that damned emotional perogative seems to dominate most of us until that physical body has to draw upon the inner spirit, that is in us all, for a strength that is more than the physical strength of youth.

Budo entails a spiritual journey as well as a physical journey. We learn everything the mind can think by observing and interacting in the physical universe. The difference of learning from Budo is that learning from it we are not learning from it just in the physcial practice but within the examination of our thoughts also.

Don't let the emotional and sexual perogatives of youth cloud your thinking! Deal with them. NOTE them for what they are and how you handle them, they are you, but be aware of how much they influence your thinking, your actions. After forty some odd years, I see these motavators the same as a manipulation or technique. Eventually, you will even learn to use emotional projection to strengthen your practice, as if it were a tool.

It is said everything we learn or can learn is found within nature. The essence of Budo is learning the harmony and disharmony of nature, for in that study, you will find all the answers that you will ever need.

There is a balance to all things, and this is what Budo entails. You must find the balance between extremes, make yourself a better human being, and contribute to a better sociey.

I just heard that my first teachers teacher was born again. (Not something that applies to budo, but in the sense budo's teachings, it does) This guy had everything, big house, cars, boats, couple a hundred thousand dollars in the bank free and clear every year, but it is all gone .... every thing ... gone.

Why?

His attitude, his learning became selfdefeating because it was not tempered with tolerance, love, and the characteristics we attribute to a great human being ... also found in the path of Budo.

We each have our own particular agenda, but even within our lessons of Budo we study the humanity of people as well as the lessons of nature, don't we?

There has to be a giving spirit to be successful. You have to lose that "me for me" syndrome, or at least become aware of what is doing to your spirit and you character.

Maybe this is too deep ..... simpler explanation is to do the right thing for the right reasons, and if you must cut corners, try not to cut someone's throat in the process, eh?

If you want to progress in Budo, you have to understand the good and evil in so many different contexts that it will make your head spin. So, take notes, keep an eye on how being a human being will bring about responsibility, and enjoy each year of your life for what it is. When you are 25, be 25. When you are 35, be 35. And on, and on ....

I would ask, that in the great scheme of things, you pay a little more attention to how those emotions and sexual perogatives influence your decisions, though. Get control of those damn gremlins ... and the budo will be a whole lot easier to understand.

Budo is the journey of understand humanitys role in the universe, and finding your own harmony in that universe.

Good luck.