PDA

View Full Version : Metallica in the News Again...

Aozora
17th July 2003, 14:14
http://www.411mania.com/music/news/article.php?news_id=3586

Man... just as they were rebuilding their fan base, too. Sometimes, Lars Ulrich needs to STFU.

Here's their response...

METALLICA DEFENDS RIGHTS AGAINST CANADIAN BAND OVER E,
F CHORDS | 7/16/2003
We have elected to pursue legal action against
Unfaith, a Canadian band using chords (E & F)
traditionally associated with Metallica. We intend to
agressively defend our rights in this matter to the
fullest extent of the law. It's nothing personal
against the band in question, as we intend to do the
same to anyone else using the same chords in that
order.

We're not saying we own the E chord, or even the F -
that would be ridiculous. We're just saying that
together, people have grown to associate them with our
music, and their continued use in the same song causes
confusion, deception and mistake in the minds of the
public.

We are fighting this fight for our fans, who don't
deserve to be subjected to this confusion... just as
we appreciate their support through this.

:rolleyes:
Yeah, well, y'all are going to have a lot less fans after this...:redhot:

elder999
17th July 2003, 14:20
this must be some kind of joke.....

Aozora
17th July 2003, 14:25
I hope so. The unreality of it does cause me to question it, but I figure either someone can confirm it, or send it to the urban myths section.

KhawMengLee
17th July 2003, 14:27
:o I lost interest after the black alnbum...then they turned into Alternallica then into Poptallica and then Britneytallica...etc...etc...wank

aemon_
17th July 2003, 14:48
i lost intrest after the whole napster thing. like theyre not already rich enough. i dont blame jason for leaving.

later

John Lindsey
17th July 2003, 14:59
Can martial arts be far behind in this?
-------------------------
SHOTOKAN DEFENDS RIGHTS AGAINST KOREAN ART OVER RIGHT PUNCH,
LEFT PUNCH | 7/16/2003
We have elected to pursue legal action against
Tae Kwon Do, a Korean martial art using punches (right punch, left punch)
traditionally associated with Shotokan. We intend to
aggressively defend our rights in this matter to the
fullest extent of the law. It's nothing personal
against the martial art in question, as we intend to do the
same to anyone else using the same punches in that
order.

We're not saying we own the punches, or even the fists
that would be ridiculous. We're just saying that
together, people have grown to associate them with our
martial art, and their continued use in the same kata causes
confusion, deception and mistake in the minds of the
public.

We are fighting this fight for our members, who don't
deserve to be subjected to this confusion... just as
we appreciate their support through this.

Kingu
17th July 2003, 15:42
This confirms what we already know: since the nineties, Metallica is more after money than music. It makes me sad when I think of how honest to their fans they were in the early years, or maybe was it Cliff Burton alone???

I'd like to see Iron Maiden and others intent action against them for the use of power chords...

Good thing Jason joined Voivod.

Charlie Kondek
17th July 2003, 16:01
Pretty sure this is a hoax. Ananova.com withdrew the story. The Metallica "press release" came from an Onion-like web site, ScoopThis.com, and MTV has no record of it. Someone just told me that Unfaith.net put up a disclaimer.

Still, the fact that everyone, including me, was ready to believe it suggests that we don't find it that farfetched.

Lindsey, love the parody.

Starkjudo
17th July 2003, 16:01
Luckily, it turned out to e satire.

Rob Thornton

Genex
17th July 2003, 16:06
even though its a hoax i must say i lost faith in metallica after they released black. it was alright but it changed them they became....rich. and big headed and also really crap no more guitar riff's that rock no more solo's that leave your bones crying for more no more just jammin away because it sounds good. simply knocking out shite.
pete

Soulend
17th July 2003, 16:07
I don't believe this story. The 'Metallica.com has issued an official statement on the subject here' links to scoopthis.com, and while the page it brings up looks like a Metallica.com page, a search of the Metallica website brings up no matches for "Unfaith" or "E & F", and nothing on their latest news page, even though the "statement" was supposedly issued yesterday.

At the bottom of the "scoopthis.com" page is the following:

Copyright 2003, ScoopThis.com, All Rights Reserved -- Powered by Iventa
While any real Metallica.com page has:

Copyright 2003, Metallica, All Rights Reserved -- Powered by Iventa

Metallica has been ripped off by innumerable bands for years, I doubt they would start suing people over it.

edit- sorry, I was still typing this as the last three posts were being made.

Kingu
17th July 2003, 16:59
Originally posted by Genex
even though its a hoax i must say i lost faith in metallica after they released black. it was alright but it changed them they became....rich. and big headed and also really crap no more guitar riff's that rock no more solo's that leave your bones crying for more no more just jammin away because it sounds good. simply knocking out shite.
pete

MHO:
The production of the black album is too soft!
Bob Rock even rewrote (read shortened) some songs he found not suitable. This gave songs formated for radio. Even this album is a step aside of what Metallica used to do previously.

TimothyScott
17th July 2003, 17:27
What's even funnier about the turn that Metallica has taken is their video St. Anger filmed in San Quentin. The final bit is an ode to all of the inmates where Metallica says something to the effect that their spirit lives with them. Uh, they're now "identifying" with murders, rapists, and thieves? Are there any felonious MP3 file traders in San Quentin? Are they "one" with those guys or just the average run-of-the-mill miscreants?

I saw Metallica on MTVIcon the other night. I would have given my left nut (ok, not really) to see S O M E O N E sporting a "Napster" t-shirt. I would have been LMAO. But no, it was a giant suck-up fest. Bleagh.

PHILBERT
17th July 2003, 17:54
It's fake, though I wouldn't be surprised if they sue the site over making it up.

Aozora
17th July 2003, 18:20
Good to know. I still like em, Napster or no. Still there are better bands out there.

17th July 2003, 19:29
Guys, this is just very clever parody. The irony is that Metallica will probably sue this publisher for the use of their web graphics and likeness.

It's fake. But as goofy as Metallica is, it's not all of that unbelievable.

Mike Williams
18th July 2003, 09:14
Originally posted by Jeff Boler
But as goofy as Metallica is, it's not all of that unbelievable.

John Fogerty was was once sued for plagiarising his own songs. Anything can happen in the cesspool that is the music biz.

Cheers,

Mike

Jay Bell
18th July 2003, 15:16
http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/hoaxes/metallica.asp

Kevin73
18th July 2003, 17:49
The story IS believable that is the sad part. Anyone else remember when Metallica sued Victoria's Secret a few years back for the new prodcut line of metallic makeup that they called metallica?

I thought it was funny.

william northcote
26th July 2003, 14:38
I wonder if the Web monkeys at metallica.com have read this thread?

The negative towards the band may make Lars cry in his bed full of hard earned $$

BTW, whatever happened to Metallica and their right to record their music onto tape for free? During the 1980's they would allow this, now they don't give a rats ass.