PDA

View Full Version : Hard wood?

avehnor
17th July 2003, 18:17
Currently in the market for a new jo.

However, I'm not sure what type of wood I should get.

Right now, I have white wax... but it's not going to be strong enough. I'd like something not too heavy, but also very strong, and it should be light coloured. (close to white)

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Neil Yamamoto
17th July 2003, 19:22
Ah, hello there Sita!

This has been covered pretty well in the past, the latest is via the clothing and supplies forum, Joe Svinth put together a brief FAQ. Here's the link.
http://www.e-budo.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=19743

SDK supplies up in Canada, Kim Taylor, has a lot of information on wood on his site. Check it out from the FAQ for more info.

BTW, wax wood is probably one of the strongest woods out there for it's weight. Anything else you get would be weaker unless you get a thicker diameter jo, like 1-1/8" or more.

avehnor
17th July 2003, 23:45
ah! domo arigato gozaimasu!

that's "thank you"

Wow, Neil!! How funny. We were talking about you the other night. Then again, when does Gene not talk about you? (just kidding)

Thanks again for the aforementioned URL. Meandering over there now.

Please take care!

Walker
18th July 2003, 08:08
I thought this thread would have some serious wood and all I find is Neil Yamamoto... :(

:p

chizikunbo
18th July 2003, 19:24
Whitie Oak is also exelent wood :smilejapa

Brian Owens
6th September 2003, 07:14
Originally posted by avehnor
Currently in the market for a new jo.

However, I'm not sure what type of wood I should get.

Right now, I have white wax... but it's not going to be strong enough. I'd like something not too heavy, but also very strong, and it should be light coloured. (close to white)

Any ideas?

Thanks!

I'm a new member to this site and just saw your query. It may be too late now, but if you're still searching you might try Bujin Design in Colorado. They have a non-traditional jo that I've seen that is VERY strong. I say non-traditional because rather than a solid piece of wood it's made of three layers of hickory laminated in a manner similar to plywood, eliminating grain weakness. Hickory isn't white, but it's quite pale. Also, it's available in three thicknesses so it can be tailored to different hand sizes.It might serve your needs well.

Tony Peters
6th September 2003, 13:12
I own a Bujin Jo and I had a KingFisher Jo...I hated both...they feel dead...little or no feedback though the weapon as to contact just shock. I did keep the Bujin and mounted a Yari in it. try to stick to natural wood...

Brian Owens
7th September 2003, 10:08
Originally posted by Tony Peters
I own a Bujin Jo and I had a KingFisher Jo...I hated both...they feel dead...little or no feedback though the weapon as to contact just shock. I did keep the Bujin and mounted a Yari in it. try to stick to natural wood...

Just curious; is your Bujin Jo the "Dymondwood" jo or the hickory jo?

Dymondwood (I may not be spelling that accurately) is the resin infused wood fiber jo.

The hickory jo IS "natural wood," three pieces of solid hickory glued together.

Ron Rompen
7th September 2003, 17:57
Far from being an expert on kobudo in general, and jo in specific; however,there are a few things that need to be clarified before your question is answered.

1) What is this particular jo going to be used for? (i.e. kata, sparring, practice, etc)

2) How much are you willing to spend for your jo?

3) What lifetime do you expect from this weapon (based on the answer to 1) above)

Mekugi
8th September 2003, 07:59
Australian Red Gum kicks butt...I have a friend that makes them in OZ, really good prices too. These are perheps the finest jo I have seen to date!!

-R