PDA

View Full Version : Akebono to give Sumo Clinic in California 02AUG03

Oniyama
17th July 2003, 18:56
Sumo Clinic with AKEBONO
Saturday, August 2 -- 4:00PM Manhattan Country Club
AKEBONO, now a professional sumo stablemaster in Japan, will offer a premiere sumo clinic for international sumo teams. Manhattan Country Club is hosting a Hawaiian Luau Party after the sumo clinic.

http://www.usasumo.com/events/index3.html

Prince Loeffler
5th August 2003, 04:38
I went to this tournament that was held here in Manhattan Beach. The hungarian team were fantastic. At the end of the open weight division several of the sumotori were chalenging Akebono himself.

It was a great show !

A. M. Jauregui
7th August 2003, 10:48
I missed out... But I did run into one of the sumo on the red line (subway under downtown LA). This little girl that he has with him kept pulling my hair. I was started to get a bit peeved so I turned around and held my tongue (more so then normally) when I saw who this kid was with. He must have been 6 feet or so and about 400 pound - looked like a tree stump. Ended up taking to him for a while after I gave him directions to Pasadena... He advised me to not take up sumo for “the ladies” really fight dirty...

Oniyama
7th August 2003, 22:27
I missed out... But I did run into one of the sumo on the red line (subway under downtown LA). This little girl that he has with him kept pulling my hair. I was started to get a bit peeved so I turned around and held my tongue (more so then normally) when I saw who this kid was with. He must have been 6 feet or so and about 400 pound - looked like a tree stump. Ended up taking to him for a while after I gave him directions to Pasadena... He advised me to not take up sumo for “the ladies” really fight dirty...

Did you get his name?

Also, In the competition I saw, I really didn't see the women fight any dirtier thana the men. I will say that the rules do keep a lot of the dirtier stuff in check.

Take care,
John Hidalgo

A. M. Jauregui
8th August 2003, 01:24
Sorry we did not exchange names - the conversation only lasted a minute or few at the most. My stop was just one before the one that I suggested he take to transfer to Pasadena.

From was I gather the dirtiness has to do with slapping (tsuppari) - that turns more into poking.