PDA

View Full Version : Correct Meditation

Chrono
19th July 2003, 04:43
I just started meditating and I was wondering if there were any way to know that I was meditating correctly. I mean, is there a certain feeling that must happen while in meditation, or something?

Jon

meat
19th July 2003, 14:50
The best thing you can do is get guidance from a qualified teacher. There are a vast number of different mediation techniques, due to the vast number of traditions included in Buddhism/Yoga/Hinduism. Find a suitable teacher and do what they say, and whatever you do, don't try to mix and match different techniques you find in books, online texts etc.

Chrono
20th July 2003, 04:01
Alas, I have checked and there are none even remotely near. Until I do decided to move to a more urban place where it is available I guess I shall continue the way I am currently meditating. I've done it a full week now, though I'm not exactly sure if I notice anything yet, I am starting to feel a bit more calm. I was at work today and they asked me to do something that had usually made me a bit uneasy, but today I felt fine with it. I guess that is what meditation helps to do.

Jon

John Lindsey
20th July 2003, 04:34
Jon,

Do you do martial arts? If so, do you feel that meditation is needed, i.e. is it something lacking in your training?

Chrono
20th July 2003, 05:02
I do Aikido. I do some what feel that meditation is needed in my overall training.

Jon

ichibyoshi
20th July 2003, 23:28
As a previous poster said, there are many traditions and the best way is to find a good teacher (just like MA). However in the meantime, you might like to check out this link http://www.jikishoan.org/ and go to "what is zen practice". It is a very clear and straightforward description of the basic steps to starting "shikantaza" (just sitting) by a very reputable teacher of the Soto zen tradition.

HTH

fuzz
21st July 2003, 13:14
Excellent site. For a more precise description of the body position during Zazen, have a look at this page:

New Orleans Zen Temple (http://www.nozt.org/zazen.shtml)

I wouldn't exactly call the NOZT Soto lineage reputable, though, Deshimaru was a shameless self-promoter, much the same as Ralph Severe.

---
Jason Leonard

PS- Read everything by Deshimaru you can get your hands on.

Chrono
21st July 2003, 14:38
Thanks for the sites guys. I'm sure they will suffice until I get some formal training.

Jon

kokumo
23rd July 2003, 19:52
With Capital "Z" Zen considered as a group of sects centered on a particular style of meditation, and little "z" zen recognized as east asian pidgin for dhyana or simply...."meditation" we have a field ripe for confusion here.

Yes, the Japanese Zen Lineages and all of their cultural and aesthetic trappings have been the most common face of the practice of meditation and it is natural to refer inquiries back to major data points within those lineages.

But....Shikantaza (or "just-sitting" practice) is only simple in the same way that an all-white minimalist field painting seems simple. Underlying that apparent simplicity is a couple of thousand years of practice, history, and theory.

The best book I've found on fundamentals of meditation practice is

Mindfulness in Plain English by Bhante Gunaratna (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0861713214/qid=1058985396/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/103-4853410-7573414?v=glance&s=books)

Of course, I didn't exactly find the book....first I found a qualified teacher and she said: "you might want to read this."

Fred Little

Chrono
24th July 2003, 05:25
Fred, thanks for the book recommendation. I followed the link to amazon.com and read a bit of the exerpt it provided and it looks good. I believe I shall pick up a copy.

Jon

ichibyoshi
25th July 2003, 00:46
Originally posted by kokumo
With Capital "Z" Zen considered as a group of sects centered on a particular style of meditation, and little "z" zen recognized as east asian pidgin for dhyana or simply...."meditation" we have a field ripe for confusion here.

But....Shikantaza (or "just-sitting" practice) is only simple in the same way that an all-white minimalist field painting seems simple. Underlying that apparent simplicity is a couple of thousand years of practice, history, and theory.

Fred Little

Interesting clarification Fred. I like to use lower case because it implies a directness and lack of ostentation without dependence on honourifics. Besides I never know when to capitalise since Japanese doesn't have caps. ;)

I agree that shikantaza is a bit like a Malevich. But you don't *need* to know that there's thousands of years of tradition in order to "just sit". Just a good teacher and a mind that sincerely seeks the way.

Richard H
25th April 2006, 07:25
Hello,

Just a note that the Jikishoan website is now www.jikishoan.org.au

I am glad people find it useful. There will be some new Zen Buddhist information and links there soon. Anyone visitig Melbourne, Australia would be most welcome to visit.

_()_
Regards, Richard.

Brian Owens
25th April 2006, 08:04
...Just a note that the Jikishoan website is now www.jikishoan.org.au

...Regards, Richard.
Thanks for the updated Web link, Richard.

[Moderator hat on] Please remember to sign all posts with your full name as you agreed to do when you joined E-Budo.

The easiest way to do this is to go to your User Control Panel and add an automatic signature so you don't have to type it in each time.

Thanks.[Moderator hat off]

Cufaol
26th April 2006, 12:41
and whatever you do, don't try to mix and match different techniques you find in books, online texts etc.

@ Peter Ross : I agree that finding a good teacher is always the best thing to do. But it won't hurt you experimenting with different methods, even when they are found on the internet. After all, if you do it wrong, it'll probably just fail to work. As a genreal guideline in this particular field : if it works, it's okay.

-sorry for barging in like this, but I thought it was worth dropping a note-

cheers, Christophe.

kfrance
23rd November 2008, 04:02
I think the best book I've found on the subject is "Meditation: Now or Never" by Steve Hagen. He describes it in very accessable language, and the book is in print and available through amazon.

Kevin P. France

kungfumonkey
17th January 2009, 03:45
I just started meditating and I was wondering if there were any way to know that I was meditating correctly. I mean, is there a certain feeling that must happen while in meditation, or something?

Jon

If you manage to have no thought whatsoever, for even a second, you're making progress. While that might not be the central aim of some/most meditation techniques, the thinking process is certainly a great obstacle to achieving inner peace through meditation, and any progress in that direction is a great step indeed.

Remember, we're never good at something we've never done before, we just have to persevere to succeed!

len mccoy
17th January 2009, 19:53
This isn't for everyone. I am not trying to evangelize here. I have been looking at the Russian martial art of systema and what of it can be practiced without a teacher (not an option at this point in space and time for me). In addition to various muscle control exercises and cold water dousing (last night was a particularly good night to be pooring cold water on yourself outside in Western Pennsylvania) there also are meditational practices some intimately linked to the Russian Orthodox Church. I think if you are Christian the sincere repetion of the "Jesus Prayer", "Lord Jesus Christ, Son Of God, Have Mercy on Me, a Sinner" sounds like a wonderful meditation practice which you can easily practice on your own. It has to be sincere so if you aren't Christian the phrase "Lord Jesus" doesn't make any sense. A quick google of the Jesus prayer will give you lots of references to the deep theology surrounding this.

The leadership of systema have said over the years "If you cannot pray then breath". They teach square breathing. Inhale to the count of three, hold breath to the count of three, exhale to the count of three, hold breath to the count of three, repeat. Extend counts to four when ready. They have a lot more breathing execrises which I plan on studying in the future. Once more google systema will give you lots of info to start. Hope I didn't offend anyone with the religious references.

Respectfully,
Len McCoy

BlackPaladin
17th January 2009, 20:55
The religious references are interesting.

Everyone can substitute something there.

But, Black Paladin, how can an atheist do that?

Listen:

An atheist can reference that superior version of themselves, that accomplished martial artist, that supreme warrior, etc.

Transpersonal Psychology

Everyone has higher powers.